Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEW IN THIS GROUP AS OF TODAY OCT 4 2019

Hello to everyone . I got okayed this week for my gastric sleeve surgery....scheduled for Oct 28, 2019......I have some wish washy feelings going on right now....I have lost 14 lbs on my own since I started talking to Dr about this surgery the first of July....Same Dr. took out my gall bladder on June 17, 2019. so I popped the question of sleeve surgery to him and it has been a journey toward this goal every since....So looking forward to it and getting my life back again...I have been bouncing around 200 lb all of my adult life. I am 79 years old and didn't even think it possible to get approved because of my age....so glad I was approved....anyhow I retired and got married and also moved from NC to Ga. all at the same time....11 years ago....that is when the weight started piling on...I had gotten up to 267 lbs and now I weigh 253 lb. Would love to hear from anyone that would like to share pre-op and post op tips.....and how to eat after the initial post op liquid diet.....thank you all and looking forward to hearing from anyone...SissyJ

55 minutes ago, SISSYJ said:

Hello to everyone . I got okayed this week for my gastric sleeve surgery....scheduled for Oct 28, 2019......I have some wish washy feelings going on right now....I have lost 14 lbs on my own since I started talking to Dr about this surgery the first of July....Same Dr. took out my gall bladder on June 17, 2019. so I popped the question of sleeve surgery to him and it has been a journey toward this goal every since....So looking forward to it and getting my life back again...I have been bouncing around 200 lb all of my adult life. I am 79 years old and didn't even think it possible to get approved because of my age....so glad I was approved....anyhow I retired and got married and also moved from NC to Ga. all at the same time....11 years ago....that is when the weight started piling on...I had gotten up to 267 lbs and now I weigh 253 lb. Would love to hear from anyone that would like to share pre-op and post op tips.....and how to eat after the initial post op liquid diet.....thank you all and looking forward to hearing from anyone...SissyJ

CONGRATS EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE IF YOU WANT IT GO FOR IT BESIDES AGE IS A NUMBER I DONT FEEL LIKE IM AS OLD AS I AM ESPECIALLY NOW CHEERS TO YOU AND WELCOME TO THE BOARD !!!!!

Best wishes and welcome to the October Club. 😀

2 hours ago, SISSYJ said:

Thanks for sharing your story, you will find a lot of support here even if you just read the posts. I'm so glad you are getting it done for your health and were approved! Best of luck!! Age is just a number @SISSYJ

Wow I commend your bravery

Edited by Mikeyy

Welcome and Congratulations on a courageous move 🧡🧡

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

And @ SISSYJ I am over here at 73, 13 months past an RNY, yes we 1940- types can and do DO IT TOO- and any time you want a peer to peer talk---I AM HERE!

19 hours ago, SISSYJ said:

Thanks for starting this thread. I just joined a few minutes ago and I had my initial consultation just yesterday. All of this is a bit overwhelming, but it's good to know that I share a similar story. I'm over sixty and I had my gallbladder removed when I was 22 and Gastric By Pass is being recommended for me because of the acid reflux disease although my surgeon will also do the sleeve if that's what I want.

It's kinda freaking me out realizing that either my stomach will be significantly reduced or bypassed all together. I have to make a decision on which way I'm going to go very soon and I'm glad for this forum. I have a lot to read.

I won't put up a profile until I decide.

Good luck and best wishes for a successful surgery to you.

We are not on this journey alone...lets all reach out to each other... will make time go by faster...

MELLO1 My Dr will only do the sleeve...says it is much safer as none of the gut has to be cut....and there is no by passing the stomach....it is merely stapled and taken away leaving only about as much as a small banana and shaped like a banana.....it has less complications than by passes....good luck with the procedure you chose...Sissy J.

Okay , so I start my liquid diet and drinking more Water than I ever have in my life.....any hints etc that would help me on this journey would be appreciated.

Heya! I’m dreading the liquid diet, I start mine on the 21st. Surgery on 28th. What part of Ga did you move too? I’m in Northwest Ga, my surgeon is in Alabama

SISSYJ - Thanks for sharing your story! I turned 60 in May. My VSG is scheduled for next Monday 10/21. Like you mentioned, I can't wait to get back to my old self--yet embracing the changes that will come with surgery. Keep in touch!

Welcome to the boards, SissyJ. I'm on all my pre-op stuff right now and don't have a surgery date yet, but I'm easily looking at next February. Ugh! That means I'll have to pay out all those deductibles, sigh. Anyway, take a look around, you'll meet lots of folks (men and women) of all ages and in all stages of the journey. I look forward to following you in your journey.