Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

revise from Band to sleeve with a low BMI... Cash pay?

Good afternoon all..... how many of you had sleeve revision after complete success with the band. Banded in 2009.

SW: 232lbs, LW: 135lbs... but my best most consistent weight 143 for 7+ years. Zero trouble till 2017, got the flu and slipped my band. I managed to keep my weight down pretty good and gained 30lbs in the 2.5 years.

But no matter what i ate and no matter what i did (crossfit 3-4 x per week) i couldn't lose.

Any people revise from Band to sleeve with a low BMI... Cash pay?

I think yes cash pay. That’s what my situation is as I’m still considered low BMI despite significant weight gain after my band was removed.

I was just approved through insurance to revise from band to sleeve and have a low BMI of 32, I weigh 182 and I’m 5’1. My doctor wrote a letter to insurance so I could get approved without having to go through all the nutrition classes. I do have type 2 diabetes but my doctor didn’t include this in the letter. I was approved last year to have the band removed but decided to wait. I have had a lot of issues with the band, like food is always getting stuck and throwing up about 3 times a week and that is with all the Fluid being released last December. I also get pain at the port site and a burning sensation. My surgery date is on 12/31 and my pre-op is in 10 days. With the band it was great the first year but these last two years have been horrible. Wishing you the best of luck on your journey.

Edited by Cin1989

I was banded in 2009 also and was at my goal weight for about 9 years. Then I started having issues where I couldn't keep any food down and I lost down to 129 pounds and I am 5'8. My surgeon removed all of the Fluid from the band and I gained 40 pounds in 4 months. My insurance paid for the band to sleeve revision and my BMI was 26 and I have no co-morbidity factors like high blood pressure or diabetes. I guess it is all on how your dr. writes it up. If you are having "issues" with the band, which slippage is a major issue, then you should be able to get it paid for by your insurance.

My doc wouldn’t revise to sleeve after emergency band removal unless I gained back to 30 BMI which is so disheartening. Fortunately I was able to go to Mexico for the revision last month.

I got my lap band in 2006 and had great success losing over 100 lbs. I stayed around 140 lbs. for many years until I began having problems aspirating at night in 2016. I had my fill removed and I believe that caused the band to slip because I started having even more problems such as gastroparesis. I decided to have the band removed in 2017 - I had already gained about 30 lbs. when I quit smoking earlier that year and believed my weight had stabilized. Long story short, over the next 2 years I gained another 50 lbs for a total of 70 lbs. (BMI 32)

I had lap band to sleeve revision surgery in Nov 2019 and self-paid by going to Tijuana for surgery.

On 01/10/2020 at 12:25, revyinut said:

I got my lap band in 2006 and had great success losing over 100 lbs. I stayed around 140 lbs. for many years until I began having problems aspirating at night in 2016. I had my fill removed and I believe that caused the band to slip because I started having even more problems such as gastroparesis. I decided to have the band removed in 2017 - I had already gained about 30 lbs. when I quit smoking earlier that year and believed my weight had stabilized. Long story short, over the next 2 years I gained another 50 lbs for a total of 70 lbs. (BMI 32)

I had lap band to sleeve revision surgery in Nov 2019 and self-paid by going to Tijuana for surgery.

How’ve you been feeling? I’m 6 weeks post op revision as well.

It's a much rougher journey than with the lap band. I'm finally getting my energy back but still struggling with acid reflux. I have to be very careful not to eat too much - I don't really get any "full" signals until I've overdone it and then I have 20 to 30 minutes of agony 😩. You sure are doing well with your weight loss!