Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Touchy subject.... stinky poo and gas :(



Recommended Posts

Honestly gas can be avoided, especially stinky gas. Excessive and stinky gas is a signal from your body that it has an intolerance to something that you are eating, and/or is not digesting it properly.

A. Figure out what foods are the worst offenders and avoid them

b. For minor offenders and harder to digest meals in general take digestive enzymes, they are a good addition to everyone’s routine anyway (I’m trying out a new chewable digestive enzyme)

c. If all else fails take a gas reliever... for me personally I like Hylands gas, it’s a sublingual homeopathic medication but for some reason it seems to work better. I’ve taken gas x and felt worse (likely an allergy to an ingredient)

better to go to the bathroom when you feel gassy than hold it in. But like I said even though we have altered digestive systems and yes poo will stink when it processes through the gut faster, that’s no reason for excessive gas. Or to just let loose and foul up everyone else’s day.

you can buy special underwear ... but better to look into the cause and preventing it first.

having digestive issues most of my life I know a bit too much on the subject of which I loathe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m glad someone has addressed this issue as I am 3 weeks post op RNY revision and having the worst smelling poo and farts of my life. The smell drifts through out the whole house and is quite embarrassing! Poopori and sprays don’t cover it. This with a liquid diet and now moving into soft purée only foods. Could it be intolerance to the bariatric Protein Powder I am using? But then it wouldn’t make sense as I didn’t have this problem during pre-op diet and drinking this powder with no fat milk. Gosh, I pray it’s something that passes but now that I read comments I see others suffering 5 & 6 months post op. Going to try digestive enzymes if I can find chewables? I already take Probiotics and eat yogurt. Anybody out there with any other ideas? Please help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Coexister said:

I’m glad someone has addressed this issue as I am 3 weeks post op RNY revision and having the worst smelling poo and farts of my life. The smell drifts through out the whole house and is quite embarrassing! Poopori and sprays don’t cover it. This with a liquid diet and now moving into soft purée only foods. Could it be intolerance to the bariatric Protein Powder I am using? But then it wouldn’t make sense as I didn’t have this problem during pre-op diet and drinking this powder with no fat milk. Gosh, I pray it’s something that passes but now that I read comments I see others suffering 5 & 6 months post op. Going to try digestive enzymes if I can find chewables? I already take Probiotics and eat yogurt. Anybody out there with any other ideas? Please help!

You are very early out and it's usually food intolerances that trigger this but since your gut is still adapting give it time before changing anything. Try chewable digestive enzymes. Garden of life makes great chewable digestive enzymes that are Whole Foods based but there are other brand said as well either from sites like or stores like Vitamin Shoppe (costs a bit more)

https://www.vitacost.com/now-foods-chewyzymes-natural-berry-90-chewables

i only get this now when I have food intolerances or forget to take digestive enzymes with certain foods. Or just am generally feeling unwell. Give it time since your body is still recovering from the surgery. The digestive enzymes should be helpful and are great long term for anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

You are very early out and it's usually food intolerances that trigger this but since your gut is still adapting give it time before changing anything. Try chewable digestive enzymes. Garden of life makes great chewable digestive enzymes that are Whole Foods based but there are other brand said as well either from sites like or stores like Vitamin Shoppe (costs a bit more)

https://www.vitacost.com/now-foods-chewyzymes-natural-berry-90-chewables

i only get this now when I have food intolerances or forget to take digestive enzymes with certain foods. Or just am generally feeling unwell. Give it time since your body is still recovering from the surgery. The digestive enzymes should be helpful and are great long term for anyone.

Oh my gosh! Thank you so so much for the link to the chewable enzymes! I was having a hard time finding a chewable and this is greatly appreciated and will be so helpful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coexister said:

Oh my gosh! Thank you so so much for the link to the chewable enzymes! I was having a hard time finding a chewable and this is greatly appreciated and will be so helpful!

You're very welcome, these cost a little more but I finally found the link to them. You do take less and these are Whole Foods based and are utilized better Post gastric bypass. You reminded me I will need to order more myself. I'm waiting for vitacost to send me a coupon 🤣

Sign up for emails and and account and out thins in your cart. Sometimes I get coupon for Thirty off a hundred or twenty off etc. my tablet numerical keypad isn't working at the moment weird.

https://www.vitacost.com/garden-of-life-dr-formulated-enzymes-organic-digest-tropical-fruit

some things I can't do without and one is digestive enzymes. I also eat yogurt every day for dinner. I mix in Protein Powder, a bit of powdered Peanut Butter, a little low carb granola called Sola (didn't add that until I hit maintenance) Now I add some fine golden flax. And maybe some pepitas sprinkled on top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×