Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me your best vitamin tips with gastric bypass

Hi Folks, I know there are probably many threads on this but not having luck finding.

I was just approved for bypass today and bypass is new to me. I also switched from sleeve due to my bmi as well as doc finding that I have acid reflux.

What kinds of Vitamins do you take that keep you in the healthy zone as far a feeling energized and getting good labs back and minimal Hair loss? Thank you!:)

I have been taking gummy vitamins, I researched which ones I thought were best and ordered them ahead from vitacost.com I have shopped there for years and filled my cart and waited for them to send me a coupon before I ordered. They seem to be keeping my labs good, I’m not sure Vitamins can totally stop Hair loss but they do help overall. I can’t speak for energy but these vitamins do work for me. I spread them out throughout the day.

This is my list (one month supply)

1. Garden of life my kind organics women’s multi 40 plus Whole food gummies, organic berry 120 Gummy drops

four per day (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening)

2. Natures way hair skin and nails with collagen strawberry 60 gummies

two per day one morning one evening

3. Natures way alive clacium plus d3 cherry strawberry, 60 gummies

4. Hero nutritionals slice of life Omega 3 and chia seed, adult gummy vitamins, Cran orange 60 gummies-

Three gummies i take mid day. Though I take two and supplement with another fish oil gummy I got in target so the bottle lasts the month.

5. Ollie probiotic gummy 1 in the morning. I got in target to see if it helps my gut (so far not really)

6. I’m including b-complex on the list, it’s a good Vitamin but I stopped taking it since it wasn’t helping me. And I get enough from my multi. You might benefit from it though. And they aren’t expensive.

Natures way Alive B complex gummies, 60 gummies

two gummies, one in the am, one mid day

7. I also take a natural heartburn chewable, natures plus nature sec natural peppermint 90 chewable

You might also benefit from coenzyme q10. Hyaluronic acid. Prebiotic Fiber.

A lot of people take bariatric vitamins but they contain added iodine and since I’m allergic I had to find a Multivitamin that didn’t have it. Any vitamin that is Whole Foods based will be utilized better by your body.

I attached a screen shot of some of the vitamins. I rely on getting coupons since I’m on a tight disability budget.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

A44A0A71-EF7D-4B0B-980D-FAF6DED2246E.jpeg

Generally your team will recommend what you need. I take one bariatric multi twice per day plus 1 magnesium and 2 vit D once per day. The Mag and D are something I have been taking for years.

Its not hard but for some reason people are under the impression that it is .

2 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

I have been taking gummy vitamins, I researched which ones I thought were best and ordered them ahead from vitacost.com I have shopped there for years and filled my cart and waited for them to send me a coupon before I ordered. They seem to be keeping my labs good, I’m not sure Vitamins can totally stop Hair loss but they do help overall. I can’t speak for energy but these Vitamins do work for me. I spread them out throughout the day.

This is my list (one month supply)

1. Garden of life my kind organics women’s multi 40 plus Whole food gummies, organic berry 120 Gummy drops

four per day (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening)

2. Natures way hair skin and nails with collagen strawberry 60 gummies

3. Natures way alive clacium plus d3 cherry strawberry, 60 gummies

4. Hero nutritionals slice of life Omega 3 and chia seed, adult gummy vitamins, Cran orange 60 gummies-

Three gummies i take mid day. Though I take two and supplement with another fish oil Gummy I got in target so the bottle lasts the month.

5. Ollie probiotic gummy 1 in the morning. I got in target to see if it helps my gut (so far not really)

6. I’m including b-complex on the list, it’s a good Vitamin but I stopped taking it since it wasn’t helping me. And I get enough from my multi. You might benefit from it though. And they aren’t expensive.

Natures way Alive B complex gummies, 60 gummies

two gummies, one in the am, one mid day

7. I also take a natural heartburn chewable, natures plus nature sec natural peppermint 90 chewable

You might also benefit from coenzyme q10. Hyaluronic acid. Prebiotic Fiber.

A lot of people take bariatric vitamins but they contain added iodine and since I’m allergic I had to find a Multivitamin that didn’t have it. Any Vitamin that is Whole Foods based will be utilized better by your body.

I attached a screen shot of some of the vitamins. I rely on getting coupons since I’m on a tight disability budget.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

A44A0A71-EF7D-4B0B-980D-FAF6DED2246E.jpeg

That is a lot of vitamins, have you been told you need all those or are you just making expensive wee?

I was told to not take gummies.

I take:

2 Centrum Silver tablets (or the generic equivalent)

2000 mg calcium citrate (I take more than other RNY patients because I have osteoporosis)

1 Vitamin B complex

sublingual B12 (I take a megadose every other week)

carbonyl Iron (with Vitamin C tablets)

it's pretty easy once you get into the routine.

there's not much you can do to prevent Hair loss. If you're gonna lose it, you're gonna lose it. You'll likely be the only one who'll notice, and it'll grow back. I hardly lost any. I just noticed extra strands in my comb when I combed my hair out after washing it. If it weren't for that, I never would have noticed, so there's no way anyone else did, either. Just keep on top of Protein and Vitamins so the hair loss is not any worse that it would have been otherwise.

I will tell you this. I have taken the same multi Vitamin since the start and they just pulled me off of it. I have had increased nausea and even taking it with food and at night I have woke up in the middle of the night and needed Zofran. My point being don’t buy 90 day supplies of anything until you know you tolerate it.

6 hours ago, elcee said:

Generally your team will recommend what you need. I take one bariatric multi twice per day plus 1 magnesium and 2 vit D once per day. The Mag and D are something I have been taking for years.

Its not hard but for some reason people are under the impression that it is .

Thank you, my team has recommended some. Glad to hear from a "real" person that it's not hard. :)

Yeah I take more than most maybe? Per my surgeon and per my Vitamin and mineral labs

Celebrate Multi Capsules x 3

Celebrate calcium citrate Tablets x 6

Bifera Iron 38mg every other day x 1

B Complex 50 x 1

B12 x 1 every other day x 1 sublingual

Vitamin D3 x 1

Magnesium Citrate Tablets x 2

Will be adding K2 soon.

15 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Yeah I take more than most maybe? Per my surgeon and per my Vitamin and mineral labs

Celebrate Multi Capsules x 3

Celebrate calcium citrate Tablets x 6

Bifera Iron 38mg every other day x 1

B Complex 50 x 1

B12 x 1 every other day x 1 sublingual

Vitamin D3 x 1

Magnesium Citrate Tablets x 2

Will be adding K2 soon.

That's crazy... I take 1 multivitamin per day and fish oil tabs preop I guess I'll find out what happens post op!

whoops - I take D3 and K2 as well - forgot to list those. K2 due to my osteoporosis - otherwise, it was not a requirement for my bariatric status.

5 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

That's crazy... I take 1 Multivitamin per day and fish oil tabs preop I guess I'll find out what happens post op!

Crazy? *scratches head*

Celebrate Multi Capsules serving size is 3 capsules

Celebrate calcium citrate serving size is 6-7 tablets to give 1200-1500mg cal cit per day

Bifera Iron is for 8-18mg per day by my doc and ASMBS dependent on menopause status

B Complex 50 is because I'm low in B1 and B6 without it (very common in RNY pts)

B12 per my doc and ASMBS is 500mcg every day

Vitamin D3 2000iu per my doc cuz I'm low in D and have had BC and thyroid disease

Magnesium Citrate 400mg is so I can poop post RNY

Vitamin K2 is cuz I want my Calcium to go to my bones not my arteries or vessels.

You can do what you want with your health. LOL. But I've been around here and other places long enough to witness the carnage that comes from people being blase about their vitamin and mineral routine. Ultimately I am a super-follower of my doc's orders and plans for me that are based on solid lab testing every 6 months.

Edited by FluffyChix

My comment was just based on how many different things you take and compared to others. Of course it varies per person and their doctors orders :)

and I said I'll find out myself soon

14 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Crazy? *scratches head*

Celebrate Multi Capsules serving size is 3 capsules

Celebrate calcium citrate serving size is 6-7 tablets to give 1200-1500mg cal cit per day

Bifera Iron is for 8-18mg per day by my doc and ASMBS dependent on menopause status

B Complex 50 is because I'm low in B1 and B6 without it (very common in RNY pts)

B12 per my doc and ASMBS is 500mcg every day

Vitamin D3 2000iu per my doc cuz I'm low in D and have had BC and thyroid disease

Magnesium Citrate 400mg is so I can poop post RNY

Vitamin K2 is cuz I want my Calcium to go to my bones not my arteries or vessels.

You can do what you want with your health. LOL. But I've been around here and other places long enough to witness the carnage that comes from people being blase about their vitamin and mineral routine. Ultimately I am a super-follower of my doc's orders and plans for me that are based on solid lab testing every 6 months.

I was thinking the same thing - all of those Vitamins are pretty standard for bariatric patients...

2 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I was thinking the same thing - all of those Vitamins are pretty standard for bariatric patients...

IKR? LOL.

And I laugh every day on my way to the bank in my skinny new healthy body with all my teeth, my new hair re-growth, pain pill free, with very minor chronic side effects from this surgery and supplementation schedule.

I know you do too! And btw, you helped turn me on to the need to do more research about adding K2! TY hon!