Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi!

I’m officially 2 weeks out of surgery and facing some dilemmas.

This week has been a tough learning week for me. I recently learned that unless I take my daily meds with a hot beverage (I like decaf), it takes me 2 hours to take all my medicine and then recover from the nausea. With the Decaf, I can finally take my medicine more quickly, but I still do have some nausea, although it’s not quite as bad with cold liquid.
I’m at the point that all liquids nauseate me. I get really thirsty and just thinking about drinking Water makes me want to throw up. I absolutely cannot tolerate gatorade anymore, and now just the smell is enough to make me gag.
I know I need to constantly get fluids in, but the only way I can right now is sucking on ice. This was working fine yesterday, but today my entire mouth is sore. I have cuts and burns on my lips, tongue, and gums because of the constant icy friction from yesterday.
I think if my nausea continues for the next couple days, I’ll tell my doctor. Right now I just need to know if anyone else has been through this, and what they did to get through this.
Help a nauseous girl out please!

What helped me was heating up a mug of half cranberry juice and half Water with a pack of Splenda and sipping on it. For some reason it soothed my stomach but everyone is different. I hope you can find something you can tolerate to keep you hydrated.

I get nauseous every night when taking my regular meds. I have better luck if I don't drink for a while before taking the meds. Luckily I've been able to stop most of my pre surgery meds.

1 hour ago, RoseQuartz56 said:

know I need to constantly get fluids in, but the only way I can right now is sucking on ice. This was working fine yesterday, but today my entire mouth is sore. I have cuts and burns on my lips, tongue, and gums because of the constant icy friction from yesterday.

I'm new to actually having had a procedure as I'm 12 days post-op from RNY. My own 2 cents here are that since we are taking in SO l little in terms of calories and in terms of Water when we have issues like nausea (we take in very little calories even if NOT nauseated) is that my concern would be that based on you only being able to suck/chew on ice/ice chips, I doubt someone could get in 64 ozs of water.

I would think that in another 24 hrs, someone's condition could deteriorate quickly. My dr prescribed BEFORE surgery, a bottle of Zofran (anti-nausea med) despite me telling them (and filling out forms) that I am allergic to Zofran. I even tried it out of desperation a few days ago and nope..same thing..Zofran actually makes me 10 x's more nauseated.

I personally would call your dr's office before waiting a "couple more days". I think trying different things that ppl suggest to see if that settles your 'pouch' is a great thing but leave it up to your dr to see if they want you to wait 2 days or whether they might intervene with a scopolamine patch, a pill like Zofran or something like Phenergan (I can actually take that and have hoarded 2 pills from 9 months ago when I had a virus).

I just don't want to see your condition deteriorate into a hospital stay...but I'm new and leery after reading on this board for almost 2 yrs (didn't start actively posting until about 9 months ago)...about how quickly things can turn if they are not nipped in the bud. Pre-surgery..we had more reserves..and literally a bigger tank..and we could hold our water.. now..it's a new journey.

Wishing you the best!

Ironic that you post this as I had just had bouts of nausea..diff periods of the day and much like ARMoma45, when I take my MANY pills at night. There are many STILL. Hoping in next year there will be little to none.

Starting today, I went to drink my Protein Drink & everything in my body felt like it physically rebelled. I got 2 oz down and things just started to sound and feel ominous. It felt like shake was back up in my throat. I grabbed 2 oz's of Water expecting that to settle things..and NOPE.

For the first time I had to stop even the 15 mins 2 oz sip sip sips. I literally felt like I was going to vomit everything back up and it felt like choc Protein Shake and water just gurgling up my throat.

So I went 8 hrs today with almost no hydration. I had not noticed a cold vs. warm tolerance issue with me although I have seen MANY ppl on here post about how sometimes their bodies handled warm liquids better. Have you tried anything like broth/bone broth?

I did manage to suck down an Outshine sugar free (relatively) popsicle & stomach took that just now but feel that queasy 'rocking a boat' feeling.

I then tried another 2 oz of Protein shake as that has most protein of anything I can have (my dr. does a 3 WEEKS full liquids post op and since I changed dr's really close to my surgery date...on day 13 of first dr's pre-op liquid diet..I ended up pre-op full liquids for almost 30 days! With an additional 12 under my belt, I'm unsure if my body is saying "you've done 42 dang days, I'm DONE"..or what...I am SO SO SO TIRED of liquids.

Edited by KarenLR75

I think I’m around 14 weeks out, a few sips of Water and I get that taste in my mouth that I’m about to be sick. I’ve had a lot of trouble with drinking water post op. I did start having some difficulty prior to surgery with nausea and swallowing. But afterward I barely drink. I get nauseous no matter what I drink, I’m still on liquids with some soft foods every so often like BariatricPal Soup with Pasta since it’s easy to chew and get down. Still the nausea though. I drink a Protein Shake in the morning to get 30 grams Protein. I take it slow and push past the incessant nausea. I don’t know that I can offer advice but shortly after I got out of hospital I started having intermittent fevers and went to the ER. Turned out to be aspiration pneumonia and that I have some form of dysphasia. All they know is it could be neurological. Which has nothing to do with my surgery (but my chronic illnesses)

but there are other forms of dysphasia, or a stoma stricture that might make things difficult. I wouldn’t jump there just yet but do tell your doctor everything so he can order tests if necessary. And don’t hesitate to ask for anti nausea medication, they come in sublingual form.

I do have to ask, what form is your medication? I was told no pills for a few months and even then they need to be small pills and not slow release. I was advised to crush the pills or take medication in liquid form (which is hard to get in certain medications) but definitely no pills.

My pills are a mix, most are capsules though. One is slow release. My doctor ironically made NO changes to my meds, didn't tell me to crush them, etc. which I had wondered about as I was switched from a VSG to an RNY.

I was on a sub-therapeutic dose of Lisinopril (blood pressure med) as although I didn't have high blood pressure, since my right knee is so torn up and I am learning to deal with chronic pain, I had some back to back B/P readings that were borderline 'high' along with my normal 120/80 or even 120/66 and sometimes 117/6X..so primary dr put me on a baby dose.

My bariatric surgeon did tell me to discontinue that immediately after surgery because he felt based on seeing me actually having really good blood pressure' whenever I saw him, that I might bottom out after surgery if I kept taking the medicine.

I'm taking some very high powered meds for sleep as I work different shifts almost daily. I help with groups in different parts of the world so I can work until 4 AM...go to sleep...or try to..and have to be back up and working again at 9 AM. It varies from day to day, week to week.

I will talk to my dr as I think they should be cut back some. I notice that instead of it taking 1.5 hrs despite enough meds to fell a proverbial elephant...the meds now hit me in about 50 minutes or less. I just want help getting to sleep. not to be comatose. My hope is that...the highest powered one can be discontinued or cut in 1/2 in next few months but it also helps with anxiety.

I wonder just how much, if anything is being absorbed. To add to it now that I'm thinking..my doctor said to hold all Vitamins after surgery but I'm taking an arsenal of other meds!!?? My first post-op visit is this Thursday..I think he and I need to have a chat.

Did your doc give you a script for Zofran?

1 hour ago, KarenLR75 said:

My pills are a mix, most are capsules though. One is slow release. My doctor ironically made NO changes to my meds, didn't tell me to crush them, etc. which I had wondered about as I was switched from a VSG to an RNY.

I was on a sub-therapeutic dose of Lisinopril (blood pressure med) as although I didn't have high blood pressure, since my right knee is so torn up and I am learning to deal with chronic pain, I had some back to back B/P readings that were borderline 'high' along with my normal 120/80 or even 120/66 and sometimes 117/6X..so primary dr put me on a baby dose.

My bariatric surgeon did tell me to discontinue that immediately after surgery because he felt based on seeing me actually having really good blood pressure' whenever I saw him, that I might bottom out after surgery if I kept taking the medicine.

I'm taking some very high powered meds for sleep as I work different shifts almost daily. I help with groups in different parts of the world so I can work until 4 AM...go to sleep...or try to..and have to be back up and working again at 9 AM. It varies from day to day, week to week.

I will talk to my dr as I think they should be cut back some. I notice that instead of it taking 1.5 hrs despite enough meds to fell a proverbial elephant...the meds now hit me in about 50 minutes or less. I just want help getting to sleep. not to be comatose. My hope is that...the highest powered one can be discontinued or cut in 1/2 in next few months but it also helps with anxiety.

I wonder just how much, if anything is being absorbed. To add to it now that I'm thinking..my doctor said to hold all Vitamins after surgery but I'm taking an arsenal of other meds!!?? My first post-op visit is this Thursday..I think he and I need to have a chat.

You definitely need to sort out your medication. Figure out what is necessary and what can or can’t be crushed as well as find out what medication is available in a liquid form.

I live with chronic pain and insomnia amongst other things. I have yet to sort out how to deal with taking a beta blocker, I had to stop when my insurance wouldn’t pay for name brand. But I need it for orthostatic intolerance my BP is fine, but my heart races and skips beats. But it’s a timed release medication.

After surgery I found out you can’t take any nsaids ever. Motrin at least took a bit of the edge off things. I am extremely sensitive to medication so I have to be careful what I take. The only thing that helped a little post op was

i have chronic insomnia. I don’t go into slow wave sleep. I had tried prescription medication but it barely helped and I ended up in severe withdrawal when I stopped taking it. I keep it simple, diphenhydramine is safest and you can adjust your dose as needed. You can get unisom sleep melts that dissolve in your mouth. Or liquid form. Though I take a muscle relaxer (soma) that I have to crush. I take a combination of a unisom that is doxalamine succonate that I crush, and a unisom sleep melt that is diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl) does it always do much if anything? Sometimes just enough to fall asleep at some point vs not at all ...

if you need help with anxiety maybe ask your doctor about Diazepam, it’s also a muscle relaxer and helps with anxiety. I need to ask my doctor about it myself since it’s supposed to come in liquid form. Anything in liquid form is best after surgery. Also the post above reminded me the anti nausea medication is Zofran. I got it after surgery in sublingual.

I got totally distracted with a Brahminy blind snake that made a sudden appearance in my living room. So hopefully I said what I meant to say.

Be sure to go over your medications with your primary care physician and also make sure to mention any persistent issues with your surgeon at your next post op appointment.