Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To have surgery in September or wait

I have my surgery date for September 17th. In the meantime I had to switch my provider for my mental medications. All the meds I had been taking had me were I was stable but now this new Provider wants me to wait on surgery until she can get my bipolar in more control. It didn't look like I was in control today but it was because I had just took meds before I came and some of my meds had ran out. Plus first time meeting her and hurried trying to make it on time for my appointment. How can she even determine that by one visit that I shouldn't have surgery because I have bipolar, I have bipolar 2 and it isn't that bad. She did ask alot of questions and had no problems with that but because I was antsy and talking fast she thought I have some issues and I need my meds adjusted first. She told me it will be to hard on me and not having my eating as a coping mechanism. I really don't want to cancel, it has taken me so long to get to the place to finally be able to have surgery. The psychiatrist that tested and gave me my evaulation said I was well below markers for bipolar to have surgery. He did say he wanted to see me every 3mths. I don't know what to do. I don't want to go crazy after surgery and drive myself and everyone else nuts. I just believe I will do fine but she has me worried. When I see her at end of August or the first of September and she wants me to stop surgery, it could go into November or December but if I call now it would change maybe to October. I just really really don't want to change my surgery date. She asked who was the doctor who performed my evaulation, not sure if she will call him and have him withdrawal his recommendation. What to do?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

Like Mikeyy says get a second opinion as well. If you have to wait an extra month or two though what's really the big deal? I was originally scheduled got July 16th but insurance denied me because I had not quit smoking got 6 months. In understand my circumstance is way different then yours and I am not trying to compare ours. Only thing that is similar is I had to reschedule my surgery. I got it rescheduled for September 17th. On the bright side though it gave me an extra 2 months of reading and educating myself on head work and do's and don't's. It worked out better for me and now I'm going into this life changing surgery with even more research and education behind me. I hope this helps. I wish you luck and wish I could give more solid advice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using BariatricPal mobile app

It's not the end of the world if you have to wait 30-60 days. That's a very short time. You need to listen to your doctor's advice.

Yeah my surgery date got put back a month, at first it was a little annoying but it gives me more time to mentally prepare myself.

Because once it's done there's really no turning back so don't be so hard on yourself if you need to wait a little longer :)

I will just tell you that EVERY day you get stuff straight up front, is one LESS day you may potentially be in crisis on the back end. And I think your new doc may be right. I would want my meds taken care of up front and a plan in place for post surgery absorption before I go into surgery. ((hugs)) and seriously, 30-60days will pass in the blink of an eye girl!! Take care of your head first, so you can have the MOST optimal success with your tum!

I also have Bipolar Disorder and would strongly suggest you get your meds straightened out before surgery. I had to switch my antidepressant from extended release once a day to immediate release 3 times a day before surgery. I recently discovered that due to the gastric bypass I am not absorbing the antidepressant properly. Now I have to totally switch to another antidepressant in liquid form. I would hate for you to have surgery, then have your meds all messed up. Wait a month or two. As someone else said, in the big picture, a small delay isn't a big deal. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgery was goi g to be the gastric bypass and I went to my psychiatric doctor and told them I couldn't take extended release. So she put in for my medication in the non extended release and I need to take the brand name of this medication or I get terribly ill. I got a call from the pharmacy telling me that they no longer make the brand name in the non extended release. Other doctors try to change my meds ... it has never gone well for me. I usually found a new doctor who was in the mind set of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mode. Now I am going in to get a reconsult for the Sleeve. Make sure everything is good with your meds that you need, that if you will need to be a different medication do to the surgery to make sure you react to that medication without any issues. The first time someone tried to switch my mental health medication I could not tell my dreams from reality. I went to a bank got a loan for a new car and traded in my old car and got a brand new vehicle. My husband came home and asked "honey why is there a new car in the driveway" and I responded with "what are you talking about". If the car wasn't in the driveway I would never have believed it. The dr said it was a drug induced psychosis and I was lucky that all I did was buy a car. Which I have to admit I got a really good deal on that car. I agree if your mind is out of sorts you won't be able to enjoy the benefit of the surgery. Think holistically body, mind, and soul!

My surgery was goi g to be the gastric bypass and I went to my psychiatric doctor and told them I couldn't take extended release. So she put in for my medication in the non extended release and I need to take the brand name of this medication or I get terribly ill. I got a call from the pharmacy telling me that they no longer make the brand name in the non extended release. Other doctors try to change my meds ... it has never gone well for me. I usually found a new doctor who was in the mind set of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mode. Now I am going in to get a reconsult for the Sleeve. Make sure everything is good with your meds that you need, that if you will need to be a different medication do to the surgery to make sure you react to that medication without any issues. The first time someone tried to switch my mental health medication I could not tell my dreams from reality. I went to a bank got a loan for a new car and traded in my old car and got a brand new vehicle. My husband came home and asked "honey why is there a new car in the driveway" and I responded with "what are you talking about". If the car wasn't in the driveway I would never have believed it. The dr said it was a drug induced psychosis and I was lucky that all I did was buy a car. Which I have to admit I got a really good deal on that car. I agree if your mind is out of sorts you won't be able to enjoy the benefit of the surgery. Think holistically body, mind, and soul!

Wow! Your right. I already have bipolar spending issues don't anything more. I ended up extending it to October.

Wow! Your right. I already have bipolar spending issues don't anything more. I ended up extending it to October.

That was very brave of you. It's also a big step to ensuring you'll be in the right "frame of mind" starting on the the post surgery journey. I realized that's the first time I had shared that story with anyone since it occurred. I hope everything is going well for you.

See if your doctor can stabilize on what medicine you will take after surgery be sure to have a plan. No-polar May be a biological condition but environment plays a part. Changing providers is tough enough - good on you to make sure your psychological health team is 100 percent behind you. Also never be afraid to ask for a bridge prescription 5 to 10 days to make it to next appointment. Running out of meds as a very very very dangerous situation. Very excited for you. Best!