Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone use a CPAP machine?



Recommended Posts

Thank you so much . I didn’t know about the Bi-Pap, but I’m not falling asleep everywhere , but don’t have a lot of energy and do get tired quickly. It was diagnosed as severe - stopped breathing 37 times in an hour .Maybe Im under estimating the importance of using it .I haven’t had much follow up care since I got the CPAP. Did the hospital help you with a different mask ? or did you just have to keep buying different ones ? Sorry about all the questions .
Please take sleep apnea very very serious. My husband has severe damage to his heart because of untreated sleep apnea. He spent 3 weeks in CICU for AFIB, Flutter and Congested Heart Failure due to sleep apnea. He is 48 years old. His heart has been damaged and is functioning at a 18% rate. He did not have problems sleeping, he snored! He was not tired or fatigued. Sleep apnea is a co-morbidity because it is no joke and kills. Weight loss often improves or cures sleep apnea. People do not stop using your CPAP without having a sleep study. We did this surgery to have a better longer life. Best of luck on your journey. I hope you take the medical steps needed to have a long and healthy future.

New_Me 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, New_Me2019 said:

Please take sleep apnea very very serious. My husband has severe damage to his heart because of untreated sleep apnea. He spent 3 weeks in CICU for AFIB, Flutter and Congested Heart Failure due to sleep apnea. He is 48 years old. His heart has been damaged and is functioning at a 18% rate. He did not have problems sleeping, he snored! He was not tired or fatigued. Sleep apnea is a co-morbidity because it is no joke and kills. Weight loss often improves or cures sleep apnea. People do not stop using your CPAP without having a sleep study. We did this surgery to have a better longer life. Best of luck on your journey. I hope you take the medical steps needed to have a long and healthy future.

New_Me 2019

I’m so sorry about the damage that Sleep Apnoea has done to your husband .Thank you for taking the trouble to reply and share it with me . It brought it home , and you have really helped. I’m going to start using my machine properly now ,from tonight . and look into a different one if that’s what is needed. I wish you all the very best of luck on your journey too.

Edited by PEGGO
trying to get it to post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure you are 😄 I have one that looks very similar to the one ,that the not so good looking guy , is wearing in the picture , but I was never sure whether I’d got the nasal bits in my nose properly and was afraid it wouldn’t be working properly. How would I know if it wasn’t ? Would it hiss or something ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/31/2019 at 16:59, PEGGO said:



I haven't been using it at home as much as I should . Will it affect me having my surgery? Ive got it on 12th August.Should have been 25th July. Was all ready to go down to theatre last week , but cancelled at the last minute because the operating theatres were too hot. Do they check when you go in?


I got my sexy cpap machine a month ago & I HATE it & haven’t been using it much. My surgery is also on 8/12 & I hope it has no baring on my surgery. I can’t sleep with the damn thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/02/2019 at 16:53, Chiptress said:

I got my sexy cpap machine a month ago & I HATE it & haven’t been using it much. My surgery is also on 8/12 & I hope it has no baring on my surgery. I can’t sleep with the damn thing
Also.... according to my dr. My sleep apnea is very mild. I’m not tired during the day etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I had to bring mine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m sure you are I have one that looks very similar to the one ,that the not so good looking guy , is wearing in the picture , but I was never sure whether I’d got the nasal bits in my nose properly and was afraid it wouldn’t be working properly. How would I know if it wasn’t ? Would it hiss or something ?


This one is more of a cushion that presses against your nostrils as opposed to in. On this one if it’s not positioned correctly it will hiss. I’ve never used the inside the nostril ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Chiptress said:

I got my sexy cpap machine a month ago & I HATE it & haven’t been using it much. My surgery is also on 8/12 & I hope it has no baring on my surgery. I can’t sleep with the damn thing

THANK YOU ! I thought I was the only one . Everyone else I talk to seemed to be getting on with theirs fine .I can’t sleep with it either , but I’ve been made to realise just how important it is . Maybe a different kind of mask ? I’m a bit worried about it having a bearing on the surgery too, but I actually was about to go down to theatre last week , and they cancelled at the last minute , because the weather was so hot here , and the operating theatres were too , so it wasn’t safe to operate, my point being ,they didn’t even ask about my CPAP then . I guess different hospitals have different policies tho . I wish you all the best of luck with yours on the 12th .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/02/2019 at 17:09, PEGGO said:





THANK YOU ! I thought I was the only one . Everyone else I talk to seemed to be getting on with theirs fine .I can’t sleep with it either , but I’ve been made to realise just how important it is . Maybe a different kind of mask ? I’m a bit worried about it having a bearing on the surgery too, but I actually was about to go down to theatre last week , and they cancelled at the last minute , because the weather was so hot here , and the operating theatres were too , so it wasn’t safe to operate, my point being ,they didn’t even ask about my CPAP then . I guess different hospitals have different policies tho . I wish you all the best of luck with yours on the 12th .










Wish you all the best as well. I wouldn’t have even gone for a sleep study if it weren’t required by my insurance. I snore. I have MILD. Often it goes away after we drop weight. BTw.... where do you live? You talk about a “theatre “ which I’m assuming is the hospital. I live on Long Island, NY! Nice to meet you Peggo. I’m Joan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, PEGGO said:

I’m so sorry about the damage that sleep Apnoea has done to your husband .Thank you for taking the trouble to reply and share it with me . It brought it home , and you have really helped. I’m going to start using my machine properly now ,from tonight . and look into a different one if that’s what is needed. I wish you all the very best of luck on your journey too.

1 minute ago, Chiptress said:

Wish you all the best as well. I wouldn’t have even gone for a sleep study if it weren’t required by my insurance. I snore. I have MILD. Often it goes away after we drop weight. BTw.... where do you live? You talk about a “theatre “ which I’m assuming is the hospital. I live on Long Island, NY! Nice to meet you Peggo. I’m Joan

Nice to meet you too Joan . I’m Peggy. I live in East Sussex in England . I’m having my surgery in Chelsea in London . So Long Island is in the U.S. right ? . I wouldn’t have gone for a sleep study either if the Hospital hadn’t sent me when I first was referred for surgery . I hope this post goes ok. I’m having real trouble finding my way round here - my sense of direction is nil! I’m sure I’ve sent punts to the wrong places tonight! Here goes !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m so sorry about the damage that sleep Apnoea has done to your husband .Thank you for taking the trouble to reply and share it with me . It brought it home , and you have really helped. I’m going to start using my machine properly now ,from tonight . and look into a different one if that’s what is needed. I wish you all the very best of luck on your journey too.
Wishing you the best on this journey. A year ago I had no clue about sleep apnea. I have read so many post of people who see sleep apnea as a way to qualify for their surgery. But if you have sleep apnea then it is serious and may or may not disappear quickly. I also have sleep apnea. I have my appointment next month to see if we can adjust or reduce use but I am choosing to not make those medical decisions on my own. Best of luck.

New_Me 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had lapband removal and they told me to bring mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took mine to the hospital with me . I don’t really use it. I just used the oxygen when i was sleeping because when i fell asleep without the oxygen on my machine would start beeping because my levels were dropping .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was told today that I either need to return my c- pap machine or pay for it in full that I hadn’t used it enough for insurance to cover its cost. I guess they require you to use it 42 days out of 60. Well I’ve had nothing but issues with it and I hate it. I had to go 2 weeks without it because I got a bad cold and was super congested I have the nasal mask so it is impossible to breath when your that congested. After I got over the congestion I had sores in my nose which hurt and even tho I did use the c- pap it was so uncomfortable it kept me awake and I was unable to wear it a whole 4 hrs a day. On good days I still attempted to sleep with it for 4 hrs but still found myself constantly waking up to where I was getting no sleep and exhausted the rest of the day. The sleep study showed that I have a mild case of sleep apnea and that the machine was helping me with very few occurances but I also wasn’t getting any actual sleep. I’m hoping me returning it doesn’t ruin my chances of getting the by- pass as I’ve done everything, lots of tests and lots of appointments, lost weight and followed their rules for the past 9 months. I’m getting so very discouraged and frustrated that it’s taking this long to get approved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jenforr108 said:

I was told today that I either need to return my c- pap machine or pay for it in full that I hadn’t used it enough for insurance to cover its cost. I guess they require you to use it 42 days out of 60. Well I’ve had nothing but issues with it and I hate it. I had to go 2 weeks without it because I got a bad cold and was super congested I have the nasal mask so it is impossible to breath when your that congested. After I got over the congestion I had sores in my nose which hurt and even tho I did use the c- pap it was so uncomfortable it kept me awake and I was unable to wear it a whole 4 hrs a day. On good days I still attempted to sleep with it for 4 hrs but still found myself constantly waking up to where I was getting no sleep and exhausted the rest of the day. The sleep study showed that I have a mild case of sleep apnea and that the machine was helping me with very few occurances but I also wasn’t getting any actual sleep. I’m hoping me returning it doesn’t ruin my chances of getting the by- pass as I’ve done everything, lots of tests and lots of appointments, lost weight and followed their rules for the past 9 months. I’m getting so very discouraged and frustrated that it’s taking this long to get approved.

I can empathise with you Jen. I hate mine too . I have the nasal one as well and it’s so uncomfortable . I haven’t been using it properly . I hope you still get your surgery . When is it ? Mine is next Monday . I’m hoping it won’t affect me having the surgery either . I started this journey 2 and 1/2. years ago , and have been going miles every month for appointments , then off to other places they send me to locally . The surgeon told me it would be last November and it never happened and was still going for appointments , until someone queried a few weeks ago why I hadn’t had it yet . I quickly got a date for July, and that was cancelled at the very last minute because of the extreme heat that day, I now have one for next Monday . I’ve been on the liver diet for weeks now . Im telling you this to say don’t give up . I think it’s usual to wait a year- 18 months to get surgery . I am in England tho, I don’t know if it’s different in other places . Where are you ? I wish you all the best with this . 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • BoredCW

      Donated 50 lbs of Jeans and another 30lbs of shirts to Salvation Army. 
      Had to go buy some new clothes that I used to hate, but now kind of like. Trying not to buy too many though as I know in a few months I'll be donating them as well. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Sheila155

      Hello everyone! I just joined the forum today. Had my surgery almost 3 months ago and lost about 44 pounds. Most of the weight was lost within the first month, and my weight loss slowed down almost to a stop. I became very frustrated. Talked with my dietitian several times, and it turns out I haven't been eating enough. Who knew! I was eating around 500 calories a day, and exercising daily. Well, I had to up my intake to 800 to 1,000 calories. I'll see what happens.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      Today I could tie my shoes without havung to sit down. I could still easily breathe. Gosh that was nice.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • CrowLuv

      My Quote of the Day 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • GreenTealael  »  RNY 2ND RODEO

      ⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
      🕒🕒🕒Happy Surgery Day & Good Luck🕒🕒🕒
      ⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×