Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Has anyone had the DS surgery where the Doc did not reduce the size of your stomach, they only rearranged your intestines so it wouldn't absorb as many calories. Please share your story as I'm feeling hopeless and regretful.

I'm 3 days post op and can drink the same as pre-OP, im trying not to...

I'm definitely freaking myself out that this will not work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did he give you a reason for only doing a partial DS? I wouldn't think he would do that and have you fail. Truthfully, I haven't heard of a partial though. Try to not panic and unfortunately you'll have to wait to see what happens. Sending you good vibes and best wishes...😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, Sharon B A said:

Has anyone had the DS surgery where the Doc did not reduce the size of your stomach, they only rearranged your intestines so it wouldn't absorb as many calories. Please share your story as I'm feeling hopeless and regretful.

I'm 3 days post op and can drink the same as pre-OP, im trying not to...

I'm definitely freaking myself out that this will not work.

Hi!

Wait a couple of weeks and see what your progress is like.

The if surgeon performed the malabsorption part of the surgery, you will lose weight, how much is the variable so you may just have to work a little harder but you still have a tool to assist you

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

The things you may have to concentrate on now is Portion Control and dietary/lifestyle changes. Many people (after the very intial stages) STILL have to focus on this anyway.

☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝

You didn't lose much of an advantage.

You may have gained the advantage of skipping all the ill effects of changing the stomach size ( nausea, vomiting, tightness, etc.) And advance straight into a more veteran style (years out when the restriction is relaxed to the point of nearly normal portions)

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

Make sure the nutritionist/dieticians you see craft and tailor a plan just for you. Please let us know how everything goes as this will help others

p.s. I can still drink at a normal rate like prior to both of my surgeries, so youre not alone

💗CONGRATULATIONS ON A SAFE SURGERY💗

Edited by GreenTealael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Doc said my stomach was incased in thick scar tissue from previous surgeries so it could be dangerous to cut into it in fear that he damages other organs.

I just feel dejected because i work out alot, personal trainer 3 times a week, i eat relatively healthy but due to hormones and thyroid problems I'll probably lose 10-15lbs.. this is why i decided on the surgery because i was getting depressed about it... now it seems after going through this process I'm still in the same boat.

I'm generally not a pessimist but i just feel like the odds are again stacked against me.

Rant over!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Hi!

Wait a couple of weeks and see what your progress is like.

The if surgeon performed the malabsorption part of the surgery, you will lose weight, how much is the variable so you may just have to work a little harder but you still have a tool to assist you

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

The things you may have to concentrate on now is Portion Control and dietary/lifestyle changes. Many people (after the very intial stages) STILL have to focus on this anyway.

☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝

You didn't lose much of an advantage.

You may have gained the advantage of skipping all the ill effects of changing the stomach size ( nausea, vomiting, tightness, etc.) And advance straight into a more veteran style (years out when the restriction is relaxed to the point of nearly normal portions)

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

Make sure the nutritionist/dieticians you see craft and tailor a plan just for you. Please let us know how everything goes as this will help others

p.s. I can still drink at a normal rate like prior to both of my surgeries, so youre not alone

💗CONGRATULATIONS ON A SAFE SURGERY💗

Thank you!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Sharon B A said:

My Doc said my stomach was incased in thick scar tissue from previous surgeries so it could be dangerous to cut into it in fear that he damages other organs.

I just feel dejected because i work out alot, personal trainer 3 times a week, i eat relatively healthy but due to hormones and thyroid problems I'll probably lose 10-15lbs.. this is why i decided on the surgery because i was getting depressed about it... now it seems after going through this process I'm still in the same boat.

I'm generally not a pessimist but i just feel like the odds are again stacked against me.

Rant over!!

Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you will get a LOT of mileage out of that malabsorption, so I wouldn't be too upset about it. The malabsorption component is why the DS is such a powerful surgery (moreso than the other popular surgeries). Plus if it was dangerous to cut into your stomach due to pre-existing issues, then be glad he didn't do it. I wouldn't want to risk my life on something like that. You WILL lose the weight with that malabsorption piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Hi!

Wait a couple of weeks and see what your progress is like.

The if surgeon performed the malabsorption part of the surgery, you will lose weight, how much is the variable so you may just have to work a little harder but you still have a tool to assist you

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

The things you may have to concentrate on now is Portion Control and dietary/lifestyle changes. Many people (after the very intial stages) STILL have to focus on this anyway.

☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝☝

You didn't lose much of an advantage.

You may have gained the advantage of skipping all the ill effects of changing the stomach size ( nausea, vomiting, tightness, etc.) And advance straight into a more veteran style (years out when the restriction is relaxed to the point of nearly normal portions)

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

Make sure the nutritionist/dieticians you see craft and tailor a plan just for you. Please let us know how everything goes as this will help others

p.s. I can still drink at a normal rate like prior to both of my surgeries, so youre not alone

💗CONGRATULATIONS ON A SAFE SURGERY💗

This is really a brilliant observation and guidance!!!

All of our tools "mature" that means we all experience the ability to eat more over time. It's partly why Dr. Weiner on YouTube warns about the myth of "everything in moderation" because the crap food most of us ate is toxic to our systems and a few bites of pizza will turn into 3 pieces by 3-5years out! So it's best to learn new eating habits/relationships with healthy food and realize what true portions look and feel like to us while we're in that first 18mo honeymoon period.

Now like Tea said, many of us had larger capacity tums after surgery. I know my surgeon gave me a larger pouch and a shorter malabsorption. From the start I could easily down 4oz of Water or more! Never had one moment difficulty with any full liquid or soft food (or any food). I was a liquid pro!

I'm now 4lbs from my Goal #3 and on my forever diet. And make no mistake, it is a diet. But all animals have a "diet" so I don't look on this as a bad thing. But I actively gave up eating as a hedonistic free-for-all event when I decided to have surgery. I plan my day, weigh, measure, and log my food every day. I weight every day. I exercise every day. I monitor my Fluid every day. This is part of my job. And it's become easy peasy and second nature to do this. I find comfort in it.

I'm sorry for your complications that kept him from performing the expected surgery. But as many said before, you can get considerable help from the surgery. You have to find out the specifics of it though as @RickM already wisely counseled! You really can't expect to be loosy goosey with your food and "sorta" eat healthy. You must really apply yourself until you know what your new "tool" will and won't help with and until you know if you have any leeway or if you will just simply need to work a little harder.

I have to work harder. I'm on a hormone blocker for cancer remission that puts me in super menopause (so super hormone imbalance) + hypothyroid. But I've still lost about 155lbs in the lasts 2 years. So it's possible. I'm 5'4" and weighed 287lbs when I started changing my life for the better. ((hugs)) Hang in there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Krestel

      Today was a really tough day and I turned to food (and a watered down glass of wine). The interesting part was that I felt REALLY full after eating half my go to cheat snack, tortilla chips with cheese. So the GBP is doing its job!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Nomorepasta

      Does anyone know how to change specific info on ur profile ex. Surgery date weight etc. ?..
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      The only way I can tell that I'm losing weight is from the scale and my clothes "getting bigger".
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • GreenTealael

      Still Traveling 😥😌😳😂
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      I can now buy clothes in normal stores again. Admittedly the first time when I started trying on clothes, I really had to keep myself calm. Normally trying on clothes causes me to become SOOO depressed that it take weeks just to get over it. Now, I have to keep myself from not wanting to buy everything!
      · 1 reply
      1. AngieBear

        Right?! It’s an amazing, freeing feeling.

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×