Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many ways is there to do an RNY?? SO confused!

I have always assumed, ok..in the last few weeks when I changed dr's and the new one said that I could indeed have a gastric bypass and that based on the weight I need to lose, etc. it would be the best best - especially as my insurance is a "one and done" (i.e. you only get 1 bariatric surgery..EVER)....I assumed the RNY would be done via laparoscopy?

Hopefully the days of "open" RNY's, etc. are a thing of the past. However, I just got my "official copy" of my insurance approval and it says "Gastric Bypass by Endoscopy"

What the heck? Is this a normal part of RNY - do they go down your..um...esophagus and also do little incisions on your abdomen? I've been so heavily sleeve focused for past 3 yrs, I feel like I've missed something crucial..or I just don't understand. Why am I drawing a blank on this??

It's just made me....pause (not changing mind - still having surgery on 7/25)...and try to 'catch up' on just what is going to happen "now". I mean, I've watched videos, TV shows, etc. but so far I've seen the use of robotics/laparoscopy or just laparoscopy. Maybe I wasn't paying attention enough or missed that part of the show?

I have always assumed, ok..in the last few weeks when I changed dr's and the new one said that I could indeed have a gastric bypass and that based on the weight I need to lose, etc. it would be the best best - especially as my insurance is a "one and done" (i.e. you only get 1 bariatric surgery..EVER)....I assumed the RNY would be done via laparoscopy?
Hopefully the days of "open" RNY's, etc. are a thing of the past. However, I just got my "official copy" of my insurance approval and it says "Gastric Bypass by Endoscopy"
What the heck? Is this a normal part of RNY - do they go down your..um...esophagus and also do little incisions on your abdomen? I've been so heavily sleeve focused for past 3 yrs, I feel like I've missed something crucial..or I just don't understand. Why am I drawing a blank on this??
It's just made me....pause (not changing mind - still having surgery on 7/25)...and try to 'catch up' on just what is going to happen "now". I mean, I've watched videos, TV shows, etc. but so far I've seen the use of robotics/laparoscopy or just laparoscopy. Maybe I wasn't paying attention enough or missed that part of the show?

Maybe they are referring to the endoscopy you have prior to your actual bypass. I'm almost 2 weeks post-op and only familiar with a laparoscopic procedure. I had 5 incisions and also had my gallbladder removed. The endoscopy is done as one of your many pre-op appointments to check to make sure your overall health is great before surgery. Hope this helps you. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey THAT IS ONE INTERESTING APP- I confess I had not heard of all of those or met anyone who Had them other than My Bari- PAL LynnV from Dayton who has an ESG and, at last repirt, was doing Wonderfully Well. Thanks For Giving That link- up App, @ ARMoma45!

I'm vaguely remembering reading/hearing something about this - but ask your surgeon for clarification. Most are done laproscopically. Open RNY's are rarely done anymore - the few times I've heard of this happening nowadays is when there are some major issues going on with the person (like complications from previous abdominal surgeries) that would make it difficult to do it laproscopically.

13 hours ago, KarenLR75 said:

Endoscopy is a pre-op requirement for bariatric surgery. Sometimes they word thins strange. My patient portal lists an endoscopy as surgery. Insurance tends to word things rather odd as well, and I have never heard of gastric bypass done by endoscopy, only laparoscopically. The only procedure performed by endoscopy is minor stitching, balloon dilation, but never full on surgery.

I had laparoscopy RNY, Six incisions plus the drain. I also needed my gallbladder removed. Low functioning Hida scan and turned out to be chronic inflammation. I don’t think any doctor would do open surgery unless in an emergency.

19 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Hey THAT IS ONE INTERESTING APP- I confess I had not heard of all of those or met anyone who Had them other than My Bari- PAL LynnV from Dayton who has an ESG and, at last repirt, was doing Wonderfully Well. Thanks For Giving That link- up App, @ ARMoma45!

You're most welcome :)

13 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

I had laparoscopy RNY, Six incisions plus the drain. I also needed my gallbladder removed. Low functioning Hida scan and turned out to be chronic inflammation. I don’t think any doctor would do open surgery unless in an emergency.

Was the recovery any longer or worse with the gallbladder removed?

10 hours ago, ARMoma45 said:

Was the recovery any longer or worse with the gallbladder removed?

Recovery was probably no worse than without the gallbladder removal. Although my surgeon said he wouldn’t do them together if it was too risky.

I have difficulty with recovery from surgery for other reasons so my complications that came up are more likely due to lifelong chronic illness (immunodeficiency) and disability.

I def did not have an endoscopy
I did have bypass and my gallbladder removed at the same time. Recovery was easy, I have a high pain tolerance. After about day 3-4 I was back to feeling pretty normal, just tired