Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waking up during surgey

I woke up during surgery. I was in terrible pain and I could hear the instruments clinking into the pans so I think they were finishing up. I couldn't move or open my eyes. I kept willing myself to go back to sleep but it wasn't happening. I could hear the nurse reading off my orders and my surgeon shouted, "No, nothing by mouth until 9:30". I was shocked since he is always very soft spoken. I know the anesthesia can make people sound as if they are talking through megaphones but this was more of an angry shout. Anyway, after what seemed like forever, I went back under. I never, never want to do that again. I just don't know why I was awake for what seemed like so long. I haven't told anyone yet because I'm afraid people will think I'm nuts, but it was awful lying there in so much pain and not being able to let anyone know I was awake.

Um that sounds horrendous!! I have had 3 surgeries so far and was under general anathesia for 2 of them. I didnt wake up during either procedure. But when they removed my infected port, I was put under regional anathesia and I woke up a couple times during that because I could feel pain. I went right back under after they shot some more drugs in me. But I cant imagine they would have you on regional anathesia for the initial banding. Scary.

OMG that is very terrifying! I am supposed to be banded 1 week from today, already having second thoughts, that is enough to make me want to cancel the whole thing .....

Liz

That sucks that happened I couldnt even imagine going through that I would be really scared. Im glad you seem to be ok now but that has to be a little tramatic especially if you ever have to have anything done again.

Wow. I've had several surguries and have awaken at the end...just as sutures were finishing and the last orders given....sounds like what you went through.

The pain... I don't know about that one as you should have had a general and even quite some time after surgery you should have felt (not felt) the effects of the anesthia.

I've even seen on news shows where someone went under...but didn't go under... only had the muscle relaxant...so they were wide awake during surgery but quasi paralized due to the meds. They were able to successfully sue.

Okay I've had plenty of surgeries. This did happen to me though during my band surgery. I mentioned it after and nobody knew what I was talking about of course. Okay I know I'm still on the operating table..the surgery is I think over. I don't feel any pain thank God. But I can't fricken breath! I can't move a muscle..i can't do anything! So I just sit there and think..well they are gonna notice I'm not breathing..or I'm gonna die..I hear whats going on but nobody seems to be in a panic. It seems like forever..but then I somehow breath again..and go back under. I'm thinking this is maybe when they took my breathing tube out or something? I don't really now. But I know for sure that it happened.

Well I think this could happen with any surgery really. There are always risks but I think it's very very slim that this will happen to you.

That is trippy. The same thing happened to a friend of mine. When she told the doctor what she had heard in the operating room the doctor was shocked. Glad you came through okay.

The term is "anesethetic awareness." It is extremely rare, but does happen. Experiences can vary greatly, from what MizPeppy experienced (I'm very sorry to hear of this) to much less traumatic cases in which someone only has vague recollections of conversations and no pain.

I wouldn't hesitate to seek counseling. It is recommended for those who experience what you have gone through. Please take care~

You need to tell your Surgeon and make sure to tell your anesthesiologist for any future surgeries so they insure it doesn't happen again.

I had surgery on my wrist under an axillary block, they numbed my arm, but I still felt them make the incision.

It sounds like your anesthesiologist did your reversal alittle to soon or you just woke up very quickly from your reversal and you heard everything going on in the OR room as they were getting ready to get you off the OR table and back on the strecher. That must have been a terrible experience for you and you should let your surgeon know and I would also let the anesthesiologist know.

oh this happened to me... but i didnt really feel anything.. i was awake for like 1 second.. i think it was at the end.. i tried to pull the tube out of my mouth then i woke up later.. but my throat sure did hurt afterwards..

Oh, poor you :)

This happened to me - but not my Band. It was with Oral Surgery, and when I tried to tell the surgeon, he was sooo rude and agressive. It was Easter Thursday and I could even describe to him where he and the anaesthetist were going for their break.

I've had lots of other surgery and never experienced this before.

It was 2 surgeries ago, and I never had even a second thought having my my Band because of that time.

Thats horrid, i had a thing stuck on my forehead which reads the brain waves during surgery to ensure there is no activity and you dont wake up.

My cousin woke up during a ceaserian she was meant to be totally knocked out for and she felt it all but couldnt move or screem..

It can happen but these days is generally rare... you must have been one of the rare ones..

Hope you get over it soon but i would be speaking to the surgeon when you see them again and explain it to them..