Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't keep up with small frequent meals

Hi everyone! Just joined from Argentina.
I had my gastric bypass on June 25th.

I am at the stage where every 90 minutes I am supposed to be ingesting something... a Protein shake... yogurt... vegetable soup... and for the life of me, I just can't get myself to eat so frequently. Firstly, I am not hungry AT ALL, ever. And secondly, I am so busy with work, and life, and kids, that the day just flies by and maybe out of the 8 or 9 meals I should have had during the day, I had 4.
There is also the fact that you can't drink any liquids with these meals, so every time I want to drink something, I remember I am supposed to eat... so I skip the Water, do the meal, and the cycle repeats, so I'm barely drinking any liquids too, and I am of course, I am not peeing... maybe once or twice a day.

I tried grouping the meals (for instance, I need to do 4 ounce intakes of yogurt, so I did 8 ounces in one sitting), but the doctor told me I am not supposed to do that, because I am forcing my stomach.

This worries me, I don't want it to affect my weight loss.

Is anyone else dealing with this?

Your fluids are absolutely critical. Worry about meals as you progress. Use shakes/protein waters to knock out the biggest part of your requirements since they're "2-fers" and you can count them for both Protein and liquid. They're especially useful when you've gotten behind. Good luck!

Yogurt is considered a full liquid. So no need to separate it from liquid. I actually thinned mine down to a yogurt Soup using Protein Drink. :) As @Orchids&Dragons said, you can count Liquid Protein as part of your Fluid intake and don't have to wait.

(psst I think 9 meals is ridiculous. LOL. I ate every couple of hours in the early days where I was consuming 1oz-1 1/2oz per meal.)

Fluid is KING!!!

Each surgeon has their own dietary program but the main goal is Water and Protein.

I just consume enough to get my daily protein and haven’t been fixed to any specific number of meals. I do make sure to have a 30 grams of Protein Shake in the morning which is a combination of PEScience Protein Powder with 6 oz Ripple pea protein milk and usually 2 oz water. to be honest I don’t usually have lunch. If I have less protein in the morning like a 18 grams protein Koia drink then I might have a BariatricPal juice flavor protein drink mid day. I get the rest of my protein in the evening.

@FluffyChixI didn’t know yogurt was considered a full liquid. I have been stuck in liquid phase, yogurt seems to go down easier. I will definitely be getting more. I bought siggis skyr yogurt since it’s the highest protein with the least sugar (plain and I add a little sweet leaf stevia blueberry syrup) Icelandic yogurt only has 3 grams sugar.

1 minute ago, Darktowerdream said:

Each surgeon has their own dietary program but the main goal is Water and Protein.

I just consume enough to get my daily Protein and haven’t been fixed to any specific number of meals. I do make sure to have a 30 grams of Protein Shake in the morning which is a combination of PEScience Protein Powder with 6 oz Ripple pea protein milk and usually 2 oz Water. to be honest I don’t usually have lunch. If I have less protein in the morning like a 18 grams protein Koia drink then I might have a BariatricPal juice flavor Protein Drink mid day. I get the rest of my protein in the evening.

@FluffyChixI didn’t know yogurt was considered a full liquid. I have been stuck in liquid phase, yogurt seems to go down easier. I will definitely be getting more. I bought siggis skyr yogurt since it’s the highest protein with the least sugar (plain and I add a little sweet leaf stevia blueberry syrup) Icelandic yogurt only has 3 grams sugar.

I was instructed to thin it down to pourable state for it to qualify as liquid. :) So I used my protein drink to thin it out. :)

7 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I was instructed to thin it down to pourable state for it to qualify as liquid. :) So I used my Protein Drink to thin it out. :)

Thank you @FluffyChixThe blueberry Syrup thins it out somewhat, I’ll try to remember to add a little pea Protein milk.

I hope you are continuing to do better after your surgery.

From what I have seen, yogurt and such is often/usually considered a "full" liquid, but as usual, docs vary in what they put into what phase and how they define things, so that is your go-to source of info.

We didn't even have a "full liquid" (or even liquid) phase, so what do I know?

As long as you're eating or drinking something every couple of hours, you'll be fine. Staying hydrated is critical.

Thank you all! I actually just talked to the doctor and he did say he considers all the shakes as liquid, so as long as I am incorporating the daily requirements with those (which I'm not, but I'll keep trying), no need to add a lot more "extra fluid"...
I know, right?! 9 shakes daily, which can't exceed 4 ounces each and spaced out every 90 minutes. Driving me nuts.

Thank you all! I actually just talked to the doctor and he did say he considers all the shakes as liquid, so as long as I am incorporating the daily requirements with those (which I'm not, but I'll keep trying), no need to add a lot more "extra fluid"...
I know, right?! 9 shakes daily, which can't exceed 4 ounces each and spaced out every 90 minutes. Driving me nuts.
I just had surgery on July 25th, and i just started a new job so i truly understand about being to busy and trying to balance life with this new regimen. I had to set alarms on my phone to remind me about my meals and to get my Protein in. Otherwise, i would forget because I'm not hungry at all either. Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app