Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So today I went shopping and walked around the whole store without an issue the highest my heart rate was 128 but I hadn’t eaten anything got home ate six thin pretzels with turkey and American cheese. Here it’s super hot so I decided to eat a sugar free popsicle after awhile. And all of a sudden I got super light headed and dizzy. My heart rate went to 144bpm so I went and turned the fan on because I got really warm all of a sudden (it was already 70 degrees inside my house which is perfect for me) just standing and walking five feet to the fan my heart rate went to 160bpm. But my blood pressure went to 153/90 but then dropped to 80/45 when I laid in front of the fan and relaxed which is low for my mine ranges from 110/60-120/80. It’s been almost three hours and my heart rates finally under 100bpm. When I get up it goes back to 120s tho. So I was thinking maybe I ate the popsicle to close to eating and had the symptoms of dumping syndrome(which I have before just never had to use the bathroom just get the other symptoms) but I’m not sure because when my dr described the symptoms of a leak to me it had similar symptoms. And didn’t know if anyone else had anything like this happen.. or had an opinion on either it’s just eating the popsicle or if it sounds like a leak..

sounds like dumping to me

You may want to run this by your surgeon's office. Generally when we leave the hospital we are given discharge directions. One of the items on the sheets is called "When to Call Your Physician".

On mine item number 6 reads:

"Chest pain, rapid heartbeat and/or dizziness."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Since your physician discussed leak, I did an internet search and found the following:

Anastomotic Leak After Gastric Bypass Surgery

Symptoms can occur a bit differently in each person. They can include:

* Fast heart rate

* Fever

* Chills

* Stomach pain

* Chest pain

* Shortness of breath (rapid breathing or difficulty breathing)

* Fluid leaking from an incision site

* Nausea and vomiting

* Pain in the left shoulder area

* Low blood pressure

* Less urine

* General feeling of discomfort (malaise)

The symptoms of anastomotic leaking after gastric bypass surgery may look like other health conditions. See your healthcare provider for a diagnosis.

When I told them about the heart rate earlier (month post op) they just sent me to a cardiologist who didn’t know why it was fast 🙄 but I’ve puked more this past three months than my whole life and they said it can just be my esophagus needing to be stretched. I told them about the pain in the left side of my stomach and back a month or two post and they said it’s probably just my muscles. So there just brushing it all off. I just feel like the pain in my stomach (isn’t super bad can’t lay on my left side long or it’ll hurt it’s just like a cramp feeling almost through the day) shouldn’t be there three months post. And my heart rate shouldn’t be this high (just went to my regular dr who is hoping that might just be anxiety so maybe all of this is just anxiety?) but I’ll be starting a anxiety med today so hoping it’s just that but I don’t know. I’ll try to drink more than I usually do maybe that’ll help. Maybe it’s just a mixture of dehydration dumping syndrome and anxiety. But the pain, heart rate, and vomiting/nausea is what worries me the most I guess.

Yeah on mine, James M. it said " vomiting of a prolonged period" well I called my Bariatric Clinic in such a case, was told by one of their Nurse Practioners I was delusional, I knew dang well there was NOTHING WRONG with me and to stop bothering them. Oh I have not called them again, I will be 10 months on Friday next and I don't believe I should still have frequent episodes of emesis My local community hospital, knicknamed "the BandAid station" is even worse, sad to say. They are not sure WTF to do with me, maybe they hope for Constipation, fever, headaches and other "easy peasy "things, something within their competences. But a bypass patient, like a purple- spotted giraffe, interesting to look at, but what DO YOU. REALLY DO WITH one?👈👩👉

There are two types of dumping, early and late. I had plenty of experience with early dumping. Anytime I ate a little bit too much, it would lead to early dumping. Because of this I learned to detect the signals my body gave me to tell me that I was at the edge, such as hiccups, sneezes etc. and then I would just abruptly stop eating not one more bite. But I never experienced high blood pressure or fainting symptoms.

There is another type of dumping syndrome called late dumping or reactive hypoglycemia. The following link explains the two types. I met someone with this late dumping condition at a bariatric surgery support group meeting. He was not diabetic prior to surgery but after surgery, he experienced severe reactive hypoglycemia. He even fainted a couple times before he figured out this was a problem. Once he knew the problem, he knew what he had to do whenever he felt dizzy afterwards and found he could easily manage and live with that condition.

Dumping Syndrome After Gastric Bypass Surgery

But when I looked at your meal, I did not see anything to trigger this reaction. If you had a blood sugar monitor, it might be interesting to know what your blood sugar levels were during your dizzy episodes.

I actually do because I was a diabetic before and on the verge of not being one anymore (no longer have to take meds but my a1c is still a little above normal) it was 128

Does dumping syndrome always result in diarrhea or having to run to the restroom. Because I got the symptoms and I have a couple of times but never have to run to the bathroom because of diarrhea and my bowl movements are normal. I guess when my mom gets dumping syndrome she always has to run to the restroom so I assumed it did but I haven’t had to.

Bowel

No it doesn't. I never get the runs but I get shaky, palpitations etc.

10 hours ago, PudgeBeGone said:

Does dumping syndrome always result in diarrhea or having to run to the restroom. Because I got the symptoms and I have a couple of times but never have to run to the bathroom because of diarrhea and my bowl movements are normal. I guess when my mom gets dumping syndrome she always has to run to the restroom so I assumed it did but I haven’t had to.

This article explains dumping syndrome:

Dumping syndrome

The symptoms of early dumping syndrome are:

* Feeling bloated or too full after eating

* Nausea

* Vomiting

* Abdominal cramps

* Diarrhea

* Flushing

* Dizziness, lightheadedness

* Rapid heart rate

Since you have a blood glucose meter, when you begin to feel very light headed and have a high heart rate, you might take a blood sugar reading. If it is very low say in the 30's or 40's then you may have a handle on the cause.

Something you said causes me concern. You said, "🙄 but I’ve puked more this past three months than my whole life" I spun this around last night and perhaps this is the symptom that should be focused on. If you have constant nausea since surgery, there is a problem. It shouldn't be. It is abnormal.

According to the Internet:

Nausea and vomiting are the most common complaints after bariatric surgery, and they are typically associated with inappropriate diet and noncompliance with a gastroplasty diet (ie, eat undisturbed, chew meticulously, never drink with meals, and wait 2 hours before drinking after solid food is consumed). If these symptoms are associated with epigastric pain, significant dehydration, or not explained by dietary indiscretions, an alternative diagnosis must be explored. One of the most common complications causing nausea and vomiting in gastric bypass patients is anastomotic ulcers, with and without stomal stenosis. Ulceration or stenosis at the gastrojejunostomy of the gastric bypass has a reported incidence of 3% to 20%. Although no unifying explanation for the etiology of anastomotic ulcers exists, most experts agree that the pathogenesis is likely multifactorial. These ulcers are thought to be due to a combination of preserved acid secretion in the pouch, tension from the Roux limb, ischemia from the operation, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) use, and perhaps Helicobacter pylori infection. Evidence suggests that little acid is secreted in the gastric bypass pouch; however, staple line dehiscence may lead to excessive acid bathing of the anastomosis. Treatment for both marginal ulcers and stomal ulcers should include avoidance of NSAIDs, antisecretory therapy with proton-pump inhibitors, and/or sucralfate. In addition, H pylori infection should be identified and treated, if present.

So if ulcers are the problem, then:

* Make sure you are off all NSAIDs. NSAID's are in many produces like aspirin, Excedrin and a hundred other over the counter meds.

* Use a proton pump inhibitor. One common form is Omeprazole (or over the counter Prilosec). My surgeon had me take this for the first year after surgery, just to allow my stomach to heal properly. There are a variety of proton pump inhibitors, some individuals on this website found some types were more effective than others.

* Have yourself tested for Helicobacter pylori infection. This is a fairly common infection. Over half the people in the world have it. It is also hard to kill. Sometimes you have to go through several regiments of antibiotics to kill it. Your primary care physician should be able to give you this test. I think I read somewhere that the urea breath test is more accurate than the blood or stool test.

Here is a link: What Is H. pylori?

I told my Drs about that during my last visit a couple weeks ago and said they think my esophagus needs to be stretched out and just isn’t as wide as it was making it difficult to swallow foods without it coming back up that i go to get checked on the 15th of this month and to get it stretched if needed

Well @PudgeBeGone, i have had stomal stenosis and ulcerations since last October, confirmed by endoscopy 6 weeks in .And your symptoms do sound like G , I. malfunction, but I believe it is earlierthan my symtoms are in the tract. And every time I am scoped,they do check for the H,pylori, it's an infection pretty common in the General Population, many never realize, that's what the problem. They can give you an antibiotic , so it must be bacterial , takes a while on the meds but it is doable and bearable. AND I also have emesis frequently, never was my gambit prior to surgery. But my ❤ rate is normal to slow, so it well could be and probably is esophageal. Bottom line, I do know how miserable,it can be, and i do hope for you that it is rectified very soon.

My heart rate was going like that up to 180-190 when I had a leak and noone could find. But now it is all sorted :) besides of high heartbeat I had temperatures and melena...