Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Rime or Reason for Weight loss?!

Is there really any rime or reason to weight loss? I had the gastric sleeve a month ago and I have lost about 32 pounds already. I’m happy about that but just don’t understand the process? One week I lost 5 pounds, and one week I only lost 8 ounces! Why can’t I lose 5 pounds every week? I try to replicate my diet but it doesn’t work and it seems like I lose more weight when I think less about it. Has anybody figured out this madness ?!

I also lose more when I think less about it...hmmm...I thought I was the only one

Edited by justmetj

Our bodies are not machines and weight loss for most of everyone will vary from week to week, for most of us there never will be a consistent number each week. It is related to many factors including hormones, levels of activities, Fluid retention / dehydration, calorie intakes, calories used, volumes of food consumed, bodily functions. There will be times with losses, gains and no movement...

It isn't madness, its just the human body. If it helps weigh monthly only or average out loss over a month. As long as the overall trend is downwards its all good.

32 minutes ago, justmetj said:

I also lose more when I think less about it...hmmm...I thought I was the only one

This is why I love BariatricPals! It’s reassuring to know that you’re not alone in this plight and we share similar experiences!

Boy if you and I knew that answer we could make a million dollars in weight loss science! 🙂

I think a lot has to do with Fluid and glucose levels in the muscles. As you deplete glycogen from the liver, the glycogen from the muscle tissue goes next, along with Water. Then the fat starts breaking down as the final energy reserve. As we eat a bit differently each week, our glycogen levels will also fluctuate. Say you eat more carbs (starches and fruit) one week. You are going to replenish the glycogen in the muscles and the water will go with it. The next week you eat a bit differently - maybe a bit more on the Keto side, and the water is going to leave. I always have slower loss with more initial exercise as well, but this is not fat gain - it is fluid and maybe even a little extra muscle mass that weighs more than fat. So stick to the plan and stay away from sugar. It all levels out. For the longest time, my pattern was 5 pounds one week and 3 pounds the next. Now it is slowing down, but that was my predictable pattern for about 2 months.

Is there really any rime or reason to weight loss? I had the gastric sleeve a month ago and I have lost about 32 pounds already. I’m happy about that but just don’t understand the process? One week I lost 5 pounds, and one week I only lost 8 ounces! Why can’t I lose 5 pounds every week? I try to replicate my diet but it doesn’t work and it seems like I lose more weight when I think less about it. Has anybody figured out this madness ?!
It is said a loss is a loss. Better than gaining but there will be times we gain but we can't let weight gains go over 5lbs. They say eating to low calories can make you gain. Normally, eating anything below 1200 calories per day make your body assume there's a food shortage. The end result causes your body to go into what is known as Starvation Mode. During this mode, your metabolism will slow down and try to conserve energy. So guess we have to find a balance and at first you get way under 1200 and we start losing Water weight and when your able to eat more at first will be a weight gain but we have to get out of starvation mode and eat enough but not to much. Keep going we all will learn through trial and error. You got this.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

One thing I really did notice - the weeks where I lost no weight, I often really noted a drop in size! I followed a recommendation to have a set of lengths of string, and cut them to length (or colour a line) weekly as you use them to check size - one for upper arm, one for thigh, hips, tummy, neck etc. I really noticed my coloured line creep when I wasn’t losing weight...

Hormone fluctuations also affect Water retention. So you have water stored in muscles, your gut, and in fatty tissue, all affected my so many variables. I totally agree that progress can be measured by inches and exercise goals, besides the scale.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:44 PM, debra102364 said:

It is said a loss is a loss. Better than gaining but there will be times we gain but we can't let weight gains go over 5lbs. They say eating to low calories can make you gain. Normally, eating anything below 1200 calories per day make your body assume there's a food shortage. The end result causes your body to go into what is known as Starvation Mode. During this mode, your metabolism will slow down and try to conserve energy. So guess we have to find a balance and at first you get way under 1200 and we start losing Water weight and when your able to eat more at first will be a weight gain but we have to get out of starvation mode and eat enough but not to much. Keep going we all will learn through trial and error. You got this.

It is a myth that you go into starvation mode at 1200 calories. Your metabolism may drop a little, but it isn't that simple.

On this journey you will not be anywhere near 1200 calories for many many months - in the beginning months you will average 600 calories, then 800. Then 800-1000. Most of us stay in that range while losing and are not starving, it is important to follow the rules of Protein, then vegetables and hydrate. There are exceptions accounting for body build, gender, age, etc. There is no way a newly sleeved person can consume 1200 calories unless you constantly graze and that is not how to do this.

My simplistic way of explaining things-Your body pauses to reboot before it allows another weight drop. Like we are not Ferraris and such, setting records at the Bonneville Salt Flats, we are more like jalopies, ptt- putting along. Oh we will eventually make our Finish Lines, but we will set no Speed Records in the Meantime.🚗🚕🚧⚠

It is a myth that you go into starvation mode at 1200 calories. Your metabolism may drop a little, but it isn't that simple.
On this journey you will not be anywhere near 1200 calories for many many months - in the beginning months you will average 600 calories, then 800. Then 800-1000. Most of us stay in that range while losing and are not starving, it is important to follow the rules of Protein, then vegetables and hydrate. There are exceptions accounting for body build, gender, age, etc. There is no way a newly sleeved person can consume 1200 calories unless you constantly graze and that is not how to do this.
I haven't had surgery yet. I just know what I learned through trial and error, lots of research and from dietitians. Yet, even the one I lost with WW was way less calories. I guess it's going to be a lot of learning I will have to understand my body and what's worked for other's. Plus, I will research and research.

Weighing isn't the most accurate way to track weight loss as we can gain/lose 5lbs/2.5kg a day due to Fluid shifting. Lots of things affect weight loss so just trust the process and go on measurements and how your clothes feel :)