Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let the compliments begin!!

It is amazing what two weeks off of a job will do for a person. As well as losing 20lbs. I was banded on Nov. 5th. I took 2 weeks only because I had the days available and I didn't really know how much time I would need. Anyway today was my first day back to work since I had my surgery. (I am a teacher in a high school. )

It is amazing all the compliments I've gotten so far. I told several friends in the faculty about my surgery, but I only told my students I had to be gone for some surgery. I had also gotten my haircut. Everybody just says what a different person I am. They say I look happier and younger. Even students are commenting on my hair etc. I'm sure in their heads they're wondering what was really going on. It is also good to know that I was missed. Especially when you teach in a tough school with kids that are not always the most respectful bunch. I've been told by several kids that they were glad I'm back and they felt lost when I was gone. So far everything has been really postitive. I have gotten a few eye rolls from some people that think I took the easy way out, but for the most part everybody has been really supportive of me. I just try to stay away fromt he negative people.

So I thought it would be fun to tell about any comments/compliments you may have gotten from other people.

I have gotten a few eye rolls from some people that think I took the easy way out, but for the most part everybody has been really supportive of me. I just try to stay away fromt he negative people.

I am SO sick of this attitude. I haven't told anybody, so I haven't personally had to deal with it. But with every ache and pain and adjustment I have to make, I see flash in my mind, "THE EASY WAY?!?!!!!!" LOL This is NOT freaking easy. I don't care who says that. Until they've been through it themselves, they have NO right to call it "easy." Holy moly. Who in their right minds could seriously think that going under general anesthesia to get your belly cut into is EASY? It just makes me laugh. I know - mini rant. I'm not really angry, I'm just AMAZED that people can assume this is easy!!!

As for everybody else - I'm really glad you are getting support from them. :scared: THAT is what makes it easi-ER. I think that's really great that your students are showing support without even realizing how much it means.

I have lost 8.7 kilos (19 lbs) so far and people are noticing for sure. I'm happy but at the same time this is weight I put on in the last year, I have another 6 kilos to lose before I'm back at the weight I was when I started my job 2 years ago. Anything after that is going to be a bonus!! :clap2: :clap2:

The compliments are always great but especially from those who don't know that you had the surgery! I'm glad your first days back at work are so uplifting! It's nice to be missed! :)

Today was my first day back as well, and people at work know what I had done. Most are very very supportive......and they are amazed by how much weight I have lost already.

I think the issue with food will be with them not me, they are already acting like it bothers them to eat in front of me......LOL

I keep telling them that I don't care they are shoving crispy cremes in their mouths.....I don't even have a desire to have a donut none at all.....:)

Glad you had a positive day as I did too......I am just really tired it was a long 10 hours for me.

Another 10 hours tomorrow and then again Wednesday and I am off again for 4 days....:D

Good for you wantolose!

I've had compliments from my parents and my husband who -ahem - can't keep his hands off me. LOL I've lost 23 pounds so far total. Once I get into the 100's again I will really start celebrating. Just 4.5 more to go for that!

Isn't it funny how everyone acts differently towards you after the surgery? My family is big on not wanting to eat in front of me. They apologize if they make popcorn or when deciding what to make for supper they ask if it is ok with me for them to eat it. I'm like you don't need my permission. For instance last night I took what they made and made a Soup for me to eat. Wasn't too bad. It's amazing what I can do with a blender now.

Congrats! It's so awesome that you have that kind of support. I havent told anyone at work what I'm doing, not even my boss. I have 6 days of vacation and I told him I was having surgery and would need to be out for a week. He asked if everything was okay and I said yes and that was it.

Hoping I'll have that kind of weight loss initially, too. But if not, just hoping for support!!

So happy for you!!

That's awesome! As for Steph...I'm sorry that you haven't been able to tell anyone that you have done a lap band :cry. I have a very supportive family and employment (doesn't hurt that in my long process of getting qualified others have followed in my footsteps, I am # of 5 at my work to have bariatric surgery, 2 bypass and 2 band done, one undecided which to do). I was adopted by two twigs who have never understood how it felt to be fat, and in their attempts to "help" worsened the problem.....but in their defense when I told them I was going to have surgery my dad said that if it was what I wanted and my insurance wouldn't cover it that he would pay for it. They are trying to be very supportive. My husband and children have been reassured constantly that they just need to eat as they normally would and I've been pretty okay with it. Good luck to all!

Well, it's not so bad, really. I'm a night security officer, so I work by myself. I work in a town that's 2 hours away from our "headquarters," so I hardly ever see "the boss." LOL DH goes to HQ quite a bit, but not me. Anybody I see up here is people I don't see too often anyway (night staff at the hotels), so it's not like they'd notice. They may notice once the weight loss is DRAMATIC, who knows?

As for my family...ugh. I'm the youngest. They think it should be part of their job description to have snippy opinions about everything I do. LOL I think on down the road the only person in my family that will get to know is my mom...but only after I've lost quite a bit to prove to her that it was a good decision.

I have a group of good friends that I am on another board with. Small group of less than 30. But when one of the girls mentioned over a year ago that she was considering Lap Band, they would NOT let up with the diet/exercise advice just to keep her from doing the procedure.

So, it's just the way it is. It'd be nice to have support, but honestly, it's easier when people actually have experience with bariatric surgery. And I don't know a single person IRL that has had it...bypass or banding. So DH will have to do. :)