Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does dehydration feel like?

So. I'm about 3 months post RNY and today I'm just not feeling right. Weak, dizzy, lightheaded and no energy. Yesterday I worked out hard at the gym, and didn't meet my goal of 64 ounces of Water. Today, because I stayed in bed I also have not had a lot to drink, although Im trying. I'm wondering if I'm dehydrated. I also don't consime many calories because I have a stricture. I live mostly on Protein Shakes. I just want to go back to bed!! Any suggestions for what could be wrong? I do see my surgeon's PA on Tuesday. Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Do your lips feel so dry that you fear they may break open? And the inside of your mouth, if you touch your palate with your tongue, does it reel like there is a dry paint film there? If you do try to do something and almost immediately you feel so weary that you haven't slept for days? Every step you take, you fear you will topple to one side or the other, so keep one hand on the wall while you walk? You feel like you could die and it doesn't matter to you if it happens? All or part of these you need hydration, better sit or lie down where everything doesn't spin and that you don't crumple and injury yourself. Yes, many people say " Oh well, if you pass out your body gently lowers you to the floor. Smooth swoons only happen in the movies. More often you go down like a pole-axed steer. And if you have my other problems you have a difficult decision. I have 2 knew replacements, my right shoulder recovering from a rotator cuff SURGERY you did not plan for, your left shoulder was supposed to get it first so it is very weak and painful as well. If you do manage to skoot and raise yourself to your knees , and there are not one but two orthopaedics screaming No No don't Do That! Whichever knee you try to lift up on will be extremely bruised because you no longer have a fat pad to protect either of them. And you know inwardly that replacements are only 85% as efficient as natural, that goes for almost every replaced joint. Just a fact of the Ortho Life!
So how do I GET UP? Well see if you can picture this. I slither across the floor, something ever so lovely at my age, I head for the nearest piece of solid furniture that can be found. Also nice if the seat is at a proper height. I lay my arms on the seat, crossing them so I hold the opposing elbow. If I have shoes on I take the back foot, brace it toe down- And use that big toe as an extra leverage point. Yes eventually I will wear it out and the podiatrist will be able to fund his family's vacation. Usally the trailing one is my left,and use my crossed arms for enough strength to somehow get up. But invaribly one or both knees still end up with bruising that doesn't fade for 4-6 weeks. Now do you see why on my medical Records it says FEAR OF FALLING? And although I can still manage to get vertical again now, time may be short until the Rescue and Emergency Squad will have to come move and elevate me. And when you're over 70 people try to place you in a Nursing Home "for your own safety" Horsefeathers, I worked Long Term Care facilities for maybe 25 years, I can tell you good stories , but most will appall you, turn your hair white, at the very least you will💦cry to hear. Like one coworker who was punched in the belly by a patient, ruptured her ovarian cyst( which she didn't know she had) emergency hysterectomy at 27 so she wouldn't hemorrhage to death. And the family she and her new husband were planning, because she was just working to get enough money for a house payment to be paid down.? Many years later she and Donnie-Lee were able to adopt, but because of this freak patient-caused accident she could never carry her own.
So see,why I would not enter one willingly, not even on pain of death.

Hi, Frustr8. No, I don't have those symptoms, so I guess I'm not dehydrated! Just can't figure out why I feel the way I do. Thanks for your reply!

Also skin looses elasticity. You may look up "skin turgor test".

Fatigue, extreme thirst, dry mouth, muscle cramps and headaches are all signs of dehydration.

Thanks, all. I guess something else is going on. Although I have fatigue ,dizziness. No energy. I don't have muscle cramps or dark urine.

You and I, Briswife , have had an incredible challeng in our recovery, you don't need to apologize for the wearyness you feel . You are an incredible Strong Person, and I am so proud of you for all you have gone through.

Thank you, Frustr8! Right back at you! :-). I've got my 5th endoscopy on June 28th, so we'll see how the stricture and ulcers are healing.

If you are concerned you may be dehydrated have a couple of glasses of Water and see if you feel any better

If you are concerned you may be dehydrated have a couple of glasses of Water and see if you feel any better
Thank you. I did feel better 32 ounces later!!

People do better on Fluid Drive, keep Water if nothing else going on even if have to revert to 2 oz every 15 minutes like I have a few times. Then reads back in Protein Shakes even if half strength and go from there.