Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! Under2in20 (Mike) here, just wanted to say hi and let everyone know how thankful I am for this forum! Also, to let you know a little about me and where I am with my progress toward WLS...

I am 45 years old and live in the beautiful Heber Valley in Utah. I have been married to my wonderful wife for 23 years and have two amazing children. (Anna 20, and John 18) I have struggled with my weight since soon after I got married. I have lost 30-40 pounds every January-May-ish for many of years and can't seem to keep going with whatever I'm doing...

I have been looking at WLS for about the last 3 months (I also attended a seminar 2 years ago but did nothing about it back then.) I went to my insurance and was denied because I'm not "sick" enough, even though I have high blood pressure, sleep apnea, GERD, sinus tachycardia, bilateral knee pain, and my latest blood sugar was 143. (Not diabetic yet, but I've never had an abnormal blood sugar in my life.) Stupid insurance!

So, I stumbled on a YouTube channel that talked about Dr. Illan in what I now call "Skinnyjuana" Mexico. (Thanks Scott Farkus!) He just happens to be from my state of Utah as well so that made it feel a little more personable and added validity (at least in my mind) to what he was saying about his experience... I have now done a lot of research of my own and I am strongly considering a VSG or MGB by Dr. Illan. (I have GERD so in my limited research I have seen that the MGB might be a better option than the VSG.)

I have no idea where I will get the money from just yet or when and what type of WLS I'll get but, I'm very excited about this opportunity and can't wait to read and learn more from all of you!

I'll attach a photo of me from May of this year in my custom tailored shirt that doesn't fit any longer! Hopefully it will fit again soon but only for a short time and then be too BIG!!! haha!

BTW: My user name is my goal, under 2(200lbs) in 20 (in the year 2020)...

Thanks, Mike

fullsizeoutput_d6e.jpeg

Welcome and good luck on your WLS Journey

Hi Mike!
I just want to say I'm normally very financially conservative but.... this is too important to delay. Find the money & don't feel guilty spending it on this. Also, appeal your insurance. And research what they cover or don't cover to see what the standard policy is.

Another thing to consider - the insurance out of pocket maximums. My insurance technically covered this, but my out of pocket maximum is $7,900. Which at this point I've paid. Currently my insurance is insisting that the hospital only should have billed me $672 instead of $4,700 for my portion, so idk, maybe it'll end up costing me less than $7,900 but I pretty much assumed at the start that they'd find a way to bill me up to that maximum. So taking that into consideration - is it cheaper to self pay in Mexico and not waste time fighting with your insurance? Maybe?

I'm 12 days post-op on a VSG and have similar stats to yours, though I'm female. Same age. And I feel great. The first couple days I was like omg what barbaric thing have I done to myself? And right now at 12 days I'm in that doubtful/impatient stage where I'm elated over the weight I've lost, but also comparing to others and anxious this will all stop working blah blah. BUT, I'm so glad I did this. There is no way I could consume as few calories per day as I am without a smaller stomach. Just no way.

Best of luck on your journey!!!

Thanks JanJan19!

Not going to appeal to my insurance only because I found out that even if I did qualify that it is separate from what counts towards my out of pocket max... so, they only pay 50/50 and that ends up being around $10-12,000. Can't afford that! ;)

Thanks for sharing you beginning! 12 days! Awesome, I'm sure it's a emotional rollercoaster!

Just now, Bill Yanez said:

@Under2in20

Hi Mike,

I would love the opportunity to discuss our surgeon Dr. Jalil Illan and BariatricPal Hospital MX services with you.

You can read about Dr. Illan here

https://bariatricpalhospitalmx.com/weight-loss-surgeries/dr-jalil-illan/

Watch what our patients have to say about Dr. Jalil Illan and BariatricPal Hospital MX

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/368798-dr-illan-and-bariatricpals-team-mx-patient-testimonials/page-7#entry4359687

Tour BariatricPal Hospital MX

https://bariatricpalhospitalmx.com/

Please feel free calling me 619-900-7808 when you have a free minute.

Sent in my health form to you guys yesterday! ;)

if you have GERD, I would strongly consider RNY. RNY often (but not always) cures it. VSG often (but not always) makes it worse. I had GERD pre-surgery. I didn't want to take the risk of having it get worse.

1 minute ago, catwoman7 said:

if you have GERD, I would strongly consider RNY. RNY often (but not always) cures it. VSG often (but not always) makes it worse. I had GERD pre-surgery. I didn't want to take the risk of having it get worse.

Thank you! I have heard this... I was also thinking about the MGB which was also recommended for patients with GERD. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Under2in20 said:

Thank you! I have heard this... I was also thinking about the MGB which was also recommended for patients with GERD. Thoughts?

I don't know much about MGB, but I would guess it would be similar to RNY with respect to GERD. But check it out for sure, because again, I don't know much about MGB.

Who?