Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Antidepressants / Lap Band impacts

Hi all,

I am new to the forum so apologies if I breach any etiquette with my post but I would appreciate y'alls help and input.

I would also like to say I completely appreciate you probably aren't medically qualified, I am generally looking for peoples experiences and any solutions they had to the following problem,

Essentially I had lap band (or gastric band as known in the UK) surgery around 3 weeks ago. I am also taking 6 types of medication to help with my mental health issues (bipolar, depression and anxiety disorder). Between themselves they approved me for the surgery under the proviso that I ground my medications up or break open the capsules - I was told there shouldn't be an issue by both Dr's.

However my symptoms are now such that I am in a dark place, probably worse than I have been for several years.

I have gotten in touch with both institutions, the Dr that performed the surgery told me this is not his domain and to contact my psychiatrist, which I did however they cannot speak to me, even over the phone, until Friday minimum. I was wondering if anyone here had similar issues and if so what was the solution. I am really worried they may have to reverse the surgery or change my medications which had previously gotten rid of pretty much all of my symptoms.

I appreciate I may sound pretty ignorant but based on the advice from both Dr's I moved ahead with the surgery.

I have managed to find studies that demonstrate the bio-availability of certain antidepressants can be reduced after gastic bypass / sleeve surgery but nothing relating to the band.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

G

First I’m not a medical professional, but I’ve had a little experience with this. I find that unless the pills or capsules are HUGE, they do go down. You may have to crush,or open , right after surgery, or after a fill when there is a little irritation, but I find I can swollow capsule and pills just fine. One at a time- not all at once the way I used to. Drink, pill, drink. Wait. Replete as necessary. I have been banded for six years, I read the same info about crushing things, but my doc actually said, you shouldn’t have any problem. I’m answering this because I know how quickly unfortunate side effects happen when you stop taking these meds “cold”. Withdrawal is miserable, and should be medically supervise d. Good luck dear. I hope this helps , even if it’s just having someone reach out to you.

Hi there, I have been banded since 2008 and have to take daily pills, including antidepressant. I do so while sipping hot coffee or tea. Seems to go down MUCH easier than with any cold drinks. Hope it helps! Good luck.

Sent from my XT1565 using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh, and capsules go down much easier than tablets for me. Unless the tablets are small. You might also be able to get a liquid for of your meds at a compounding pharmacy.

Sent from my XT1565 using BariatricPal mobile app

hi i was banded in 2012 and have since found myself on many more tablets , capsules do go down easier i find but generally as with previous responses dont have much issue taking my meds , my only one is an anti-inflamatory which is quite large so i spoke to chemist who said i was ok to break in half , taking with a warm drink also i find better , never needed to crush my meds , hope this helps

I am not a psychiatrist either, but here's something else that could be contributing to you being in a dark place--the lack of being able to eat much due to your band.

Many of us turn to food for comfort in stressful times as a coping mechanism, and after getting any bariatric surgery we can't eat to comfort themselves. We have to learn a new coping behavior.

I'm not saying that is what is happening to you, but it could be. Good luck, hang in there and and try to insist your counselor talk to you as soon as possible.