Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need recommendations for vitamins/supplements to take while awaiting surgery in a couple months

I've been doing Keto WOL for past 15 months in preparation for losing weight prior to pursuing bariatric surgery and also seeking relief from inflammation - which doing Keto has helped me with greatly.

I probably won't have my weight loss surgery until the end of June or the beginning of July and am trying to get started on taking vitamins/supplements to meet my body's needs that I feel are being missed right now.

I also want to head off/reduce the chances of massive amounts of Hair loss. I noticed my hair is thinning - I'm on a blood thinner which causes hair loss and I've hit menopause which also causes hair loss so I've been VERY stressed over this. Then I think about how much hair loss I've seen in ppl who have had WLS although my nutritionist said most hair loss was from not getting adequate amounts of Protein each day (min of 80 grams she said).

My surgeon gave me a pamphlet for Bariatric Advantage Vitamins but it is a bit confusing as I haven't had weight loss surgery yet, but I need to bolster my intake of QUALITY vitamins/supplements.

If anyone has any recommendations for what would be a good Vitamin regimen PRE-SURGERY, I'd greatly appreciate it! I know I need extra Calcium and Vitamin D in a bad way as well.

I appreciate any help you can provide!!

Check out BariatricPal Multivitamin ONE "1 per Day!" Bariatric Multivitamins from https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/bariatricpal-multivitamin-one!

With just ONE convenient & affordable BariatricPal Multivitamin ONE each day, you can get the bariatric Vitamins and minerals you need to stay healthy! BariatricPal Multivitamin ONE was designed and developed by a team of the world's leading Bariatric medical professionals.

Please take a Calcium supplement separately to prevent interference with absorption of Iron.

Preop I took Flintstones just to get in the habit of taking a multivitamin. I was also taking a very basic Calcium and Biotin supplement. Find a good biotin Shampoo as well as a dry shampoo for your hair. I use the dry shampoo to get me in-between washings, as it seemed like when I washed my hair I would lose more of it so I tried to go longer between washing. The dry shampoo also helps give it more volume. As far as I know no one has found the solution to the Hair loss thing.

I'm sure a lot of people like Bariatic Advantage and Bariatric Fusion for their multivitamins but my preference are the one a day options like ProCare Now and I just recently ordered BariatricPal One. I take the multi at night right before bed because of the nausea it causes and then I take my calcium chews at Breakfast, lunch, and with my afternoon snack or dinner.

Edited by KCgirl061

I just take Centrum (or the generic equivalent) as my multi.

as far as Hair loss, if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. I don't know that much helps. Getting adequate Protein and keeping on top of your Vitamins can keep it from getting any worse than it otherwise would, though. The good news is, it grows back - and the other good news is, not everyone experiences hair loss. I had some = although it certainly wasn't noticeable by anyone but me (and even then, if it weren't for those extra strands of hair in my comb for a few months, I don't think I would have noticed it, either.

You could take the same vitamind pre-op that you're going to need post-op. I take Calcium, Vitamin D, a multivitamin, and B12. I also take Biotin as a supplement to help with the Hair loss.