Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Questions to Ask Surgeon?

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all doing well. I am making a list of questions to ask my surgeon in preparation for my first visit with him on 6/10/2019.

This is what I have so far:

1. Am I a candidate for surgery?

2. What surgery do you recommend?

3. How is the surgery done?

4. How will the surgery help me lose weight?

5. Will my surgery be performed laparoscopically? Is there any situation in which my surgery would be open?

6. Will my gallbladder be removed?

7. How will I take my medicines after surgery? Do I take them regularly, or do I need to crush them? Will the medicine still work if it is crushed?

8. I remember something from the seminar about taking blood thinners while in the hospital, why is this?

9. What are the risks associated with this surgery? Am I at more risk for one factor over another?

10. What are some signs that things are wrong? When should I seek medical attention?

11. How could the surgery affect other health problems I have?

12. How much weight can I expect to lose?

13. I’ve been looking into Vitamins and found vitamin patches. Are Vitamin Patches just as good as taking vitamins orally?

14. Can I still get pregnant?

15. What will my life be like after surgery?

If anyone has any questions to add or things I may have forgotten, please comment your suggestions below. Thank you :)

I asked my surgeon how many times she'd performed the surgery, how many complications her patients had had, if any, and what the success rate % of patients having the surgery was.

26 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I asked my surgeon how many times she'd performed the surgery, how many complications her patients had had, if any, and what the success rate % of patients having the surgery was.

Thank you, GradyCat!

Those are great things to ask my surgeon. I appreciate your input :)

I asked mine if he was fearful of my age? Will my recovery be more difficult than if I was in my 30s, 40s or 50s? I live 50 miles away, what are the things that a trip to Columbus is neccesary; what can I handle on my own? How long will I be hospitalized? These were things I asked. Something that impressed me, my son attends my appointments as a rule as I do his. He came over to other side of examination room, shook my son's hand and said " I promise, I will take very good care of your Mama!" oh I had liked him already but he gained future respect with that action.
And now I can proudly say I am the oldest patient he has done surgery on, so not only do I want a good outcome for me, but for him also. I never want him to feel he made a mistake doing mine. On their website there are wrists,ipatients who relate their own stories. It is one of my goals to achieve a great of success so I also too can tell of my journey. There may be others who feel their chances have passed them by, they are too old, too nearly broken down by weight and life, time has passed them by. I want to show them , Don't give up, Something can be done, it is not a quick transit to better health but even at 70+ there is hope, a place willing to work with you towards a better life. Maybe then in part, I can show my great gratitude for the changes in my own life.

2 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

I asked mine if he was fearful of my age? Will my recovery be more difficult than if I was in my 30s, 40s or 50s? I live 50 miles away, what are the things that a trip to Columbus is neccesary; what can I handle on my own? How long will I be hospitalized? These were things I asked. Something that impressed me, my son attends my appointments as a rule as I do his. He came over to other side of examination room, shook my son's hand and said " I promise, I will take very good care of your Mama!" oh I had liked him already but he gained future respect with that action.
And now I can proudly say I am the oldest patient he has done surgery on, so not only do I want a good outcome for me, but for him also. I never want him to feel he made a mistake doing mine. On their website there are wrists,ipatients who relate their own stories. It is one of my goals to achieve a great of success so I also too can tell of my journey. There may be others who feel their chances have passed them by, they are too old, too nearly broken down by weight and life, time has passed them by. I want to show them , Don't give up, Something can be done, it is not a quick transit to better health but even at 70+ there is hope, a place willing to work with you towards a better life. Maybe then in part, I can show my great gratitude for the changes in my own life.

Thank you very much for your response. That is very impressive and sweet that your son showed an interest and took such good care of you! I especially like your motivation, frustr8, and I know you will go far. Wishing you the best of luck! :)

This is the questions that I need to present to the surgeon and see what they say!

Questions to the Surgeons

What does the surgery procedure look like?

Can you take a picture saying good bye to my old stochmache?

How long is the hospital resort stay?

How long do I have to be out of work?

What is the success rate for a bypass surgery?

What is the Pre op like and Post op like?

I been working with a GI nutritionist and can I still work with her after the surgery?

I am still with my psych and will be working with her as well.

What is the cost for this surgery, even if I met my Out of Pocket max?

What does the scar looks like and will I am able to still donate my kidney next year?

How much pain will I be in after the surgery?

How much weight will I lose and how fast?

Will this surgery help with my gastropresis?

What will eating be like after the surgery? Will I be throwing up with blood again?

What can I do before surgery to lower the complication rate?

How often to see the doctor after the surgery in the first year?

What type of anesthesia they will be using on me? (TELL THEM ABOUT THE WAKING UP PART!!!)

How can I prepare myself for the surgery? Emotionally and physically

Why should I close you then another surgeon at another facility?

Do you love you job and how long have you been here in Houston, TX?

What kind of exercise can I do and what about the extra skin that I am going to have?

What type of Vitamins will I need to have?

What about Hair loss?

What kind of complications that I can expect in the surgery?

I have a NO BLOOD TRANSFUSION policy, will this hurt my changes of the surgery?

Do I need to have my gallbladders remove for this surgery as well?

I know I have a lot of allergy to stuff but I do break out so please read the allergy alert in MyChart!

When can I donate my kidney to my friend who is in need after my surgery?

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

This is the questions that I need to present to the surgeon and see what they say!

I been working with a GI nutritionist and can I still work with her after the surgery?

What does the scar looks like and will I am able to still donate my kidney next year?

What will eating be like after the surgery? Will I be throwing up with blood again?

What type of anesthesia they will be using on me? (TELL THEM ABOUT THE WAKING UP PART!!!)

What kind of exercise can I do and what about the extra skin that I am going to have?

What about Hair loss?

I know I have a lot of allergy to stuff but I do break out so please read the allergy alert in MyChart!

For me: I will be donating my Kidney next year! This is a very important question for me!

Also, asked what kind of statues that you will be using to close the opening on your stomach?

8 hours ago, vovo2013 said:

What about Hair loss?

Those are really great questions, thank you for posting. There are some you brought up that I forgot to put on my list. Thanks again :) Also, I'm wishing you the best of luck on your surgery!!