Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

On 5/8/2019 at 8:37 AM, AllieCat1993 said:

Thank you. This gives me an idea of how I might feel, and I appreciate that. How long did it take you to finish your pre op appointments? My doctor has sent referrals out for everything but I haven't heard anything back yet. I was told that if I had everything done by October then I could have my surgery in December. I'm really striving to have everything done before then since my insurance renews at the beginning of the year.

Sorry for the delay in response! My pre-op appts took a while bc I had to have a sleep study. They were really booked up. I had my initial consultation in October 2017 and had surgery in March 2018. I scheduled all the pre-op stuff myself. I had to have a mammogram too. The surgeon basically gives you a honey do list depending on what they think you need and what your insurance requires. Some people have to have nutrition counseling too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, misskim3297 said:

Sorry for the delay in response! My pre-op appts took a while bc I had to have a sleep study. They were really booked up. I had my initial consultation in October 2017 and had surgery in March 2018. I scheduled all the pre-op stuff myself. I had to have a mammogram too. The surgeon basically gives you a honey do list depending on what they think you need and what your insurance requires. Some people have to have nutrition counseling too.

It's okay, thank you for your response :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, mrblond said:

Make sure your program keeps on you checking your Iron and Calcium levels.

My mom had a switch done back in 05 and after a few years she needed IV Iron and had sever osteoporosis.

She did lose alot of weight though, just make sure they keep an eye on that.

That sounds scary, I will be sure to monitor that. Thank you for your response :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had surgery about 7 weeks ago and I am so glad I did. I am already down 35 pounds. I was nervous going into surgery but everything went smoothly. I was sore from being on the metal table and I had some soreness in my abdomen. I had the most pain a few hours after surgery before my nurse finally hooked up the liquid Tylenol and told me where my button for my pain drip was. I only stayed one night in the hospital then went home. I started the preop appointments back in oct and was finished with them in January and it took my insurance 3 weeks to approve it. I had it on March 29th but could have had it sooner but needed to save up the money for the deposit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Poppyseed28 said:

I had surgery about 7 weeks ago and I am so glad I did. I am already down 35 pounds. I was nervous going into surgery but everything went smoothly. I was sore from being on the metal table and I had some soreness in my abdomen. I had the most pain a few hours after surgery before my nurse finally hooked up the liquid Tylenol and told me where my button for my pain drip was. I only stayed one night in the hospital then went home. I started the preop appointments back in oct and was finished with them in January and it took my insurance 3 weeks to approve it. I had it on March 29th but could have had it sooner but needed to save up the money for the deposit.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me, Poppyseed. Congratulations on your weight loss!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there! first off congrats on making the decision to do this! I agree with the other posts about who you tell is your own business, people will prob get suspicious, but the bottom line is you made the decision along with your dr about doing something that is medically necessary for you!! I have not told many people including family about my decision bc unless they are personally going through this they might not understand that this is beyond diet and exercise in most cases. I had my surgery 7 days ago at REX with DR NG. You are in the best hands with the Drs and staff affiliated with Rex bariatrics! They are extremely organized and caring. It took my insurance 6 months but It went pretty fast because you are constantly keeping up with monthly nutrition, education classes, and dr appts. I had a little pain in recovery but the anesthesiologist was right there with me asking me how I was feeling and pushed more pain meds into my IV. I really didn't need anything but Tylenol after. I have had 3 c-sections so I always compare everything to that and this was nothing in comparison. I was up walking the same night as surgery ( a little drugged up ;) but walking, and the nurse let me hold onto her) I had some discomfort swallowing liquids but I think its to be expected while you are healing. Everyone experiences something different so don't be afraid to speak up and be pro active in the hospital so they can make you comfortable. I was nervous about nausea so I let the drs know and I didn't have any probs. I was in the hospital for 2 days. Im still recovering and the only set back Ive had is an unfortunate delayed allergic reaction to the solution they prep you in before surgery. this is only a 1% chance that this will happen ,- I should go play the lottery! Id be happy to help with any questions you might have especially since we are with the same group of drs. Don't let the fear of the unknown make you second guess your decision. I met a couple of gals during my classes, we stay in touch daily, one had her surgery before me and one is going in several months.. it helps having someone who can truly relate to what you are going through, we genuinely support each other!! maybe our paths have already crossed, maybe they will in the future, in any case Im not far away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2019 at 6:37 PM, skinnyshortcake said:

Hey there! first off congrats on making the decision to do this! I agree with the other posts about who you tell is your own business, people will prob get suspicious, but the bottom line is you made the decision along with your dr about doing something that is medically necessary for you!! I have not told many people including family about my decision bc unless they are personally going through this they might not understand that this is beyond diet and exercise in most cases. I had my surgery 7 days ago at REX with DR NG. You are in the best hands with the Drs and staff affiliated with Rex bariatrics! They are extremely organized and caring. It took my insurance 6 months but It went pretty fast because you are constantly keeping up with monthly nutrition, education classes, and dr appts. I had a little pain in recovery but the anesthesiologist was right there with me asking me how I was feeling and pushed more pain meds into my IV. I really didn't need anything but Tylenol after. I have had 3 c-sections so I always compare everything to that and this was nothing in comparison. I was up walking the same night as surgery ( a little drugged up ;) but walking, and the nurse let me hold onto her) I had some discomfort swallowing liquids but I think its to be expected while you are healing. Everyone experiences something different so don't be afraid to speak up and be pro active in the hospital so they can make you comfortable. I was nervous about nausea so I let the drs know and I didn't have any probs. I was in the hospital for 2 days. Im still recovering and the only set back Ive had is an unfortunate delayed allergic reaction to the solution they prep you in before surgery. this is only a 1% chance that this will happen ,- I should go play the lottery! Id be happy to help with any questions you might have especially since we are with the same group of drs. Don't let the fear of the unknown make you second guess your decision. I met a couple of gals during my classes, we stay in touch daily, one had her surgery before me and one is going in several months.. it helps having someone who can truly relate to what you are going through, we genuinely support each other!! maybe our paths have already crossed, maybe they will in the future, in any case Im not far away!

Wow, thank you so much skinnyshortcake! This is very touching and I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me. It does help hearing real stories from those who have been through it. I'm wishing you the best of luck on your journey and a speedy recovery!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Loop-DS performed in Raleigh NC Wake-Med by Dr. Bovard - I had a similar BMI and I’ve lost 100 lbs with pre-op diet and post-op results. I am only 4 months post-op. It has not been an easy road travelled but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been through a Rex program (I was even in their commercials back in 2010) for lapband but that surgeon is no longer here - and just had a revision through Nc bariatrics performed at wake med Cary to ds. Revision was 6/6- my lapband stopped helping me- I could either eat anything or nothing. So I started a year ago trying to get ducks in a row to do this- my insurance required 6 months of dr supervised weight loss visits (I lost nothing) and when I missed the November appt it set me back and then insurance initially denied it bc they said the psych visit didn’t say it exactly how they wanted so he rewrote his report resubmitted and approved. So anyways I was approved in March and I delayed surgery to 6/7 bc life -

It’s surgery and that is kind of scary- but so is driving a car, anything can happen anywhere. You just have to have faith.

In the hospital I managed pain with something via IV that worked great- coming home they sent me hydrocodone - I only took it at night to sleep comfortably and managed anything else with Tylenol and I stopped taking the hydrocodone after a week.

I had more pain with this than my c sections but I also had my lapband removed a hernia repair and the ds. But it has been manageable.

The preop liquid diet was hard, less hard post op but I’m sick of sweet and ready for purées!

I am 41, no co-issues. With my lapband I went from 330 to 250 and maintained there for 7 years and then started having issues. I got back to 301.9 when I started this pre op diet. I’m down 20lb total in 3 weeks. It’s not the easy way out but it’s a step many of us need to get control over food.

I was open with what I was doing - if anyone had anything negative to say they never said it to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • BoredCW

      Still stalled. Hating every week of it. 
      I'm in that "I must be doing something wrong, I won't lose any more weight" mode of thinking.
      Hating everything about myself dull drums. If it wasn't for the stress of work, i'd probably be more upset.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      Yesterday I discovered stretchy pants. It was the first time that I walked into a normal store and dared to try on clothes in over many many years. Scary, but I found some guy chinos that I liked. I was even able to wear women's sizes even though the legs were wayyyyy too short.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • CrowLuv

      Down 31 pounds in my first month! OK, so a month and two days, but I'm counting it anyway. 😆
      At this point, I'm doing well overall. According to surgeons' instructions, I'm on soft foods for another week-ish. I'm so ready for solids - the soft foods can be such "sliders" and I have to be extra, extra careful.
      For example, my refried beans + dollop of plain Greek yogurt + tomatillo salsa verde became a problem. I never felt satisfied and felt I could have easily had a much bigger serving. Then, far worse was when I made homemade hummus - holy cow it is SO GOOD, but again - felt like I could have downed a quart, no problem. 😂
      It's (for me at least) extremely challenging to "eat mindfully" when the food is that soft. I mean for crying out loud, there's nothing to "chew on"! 😂
      So, couple of days ago - I committed to no more refried beans and no more hummus. Farewell my delicious friends. Going to focus on chicken and tuna and eggs for the time being (ground up til mushy, of course). 
      I'm hoping that once I get the go-ahead to introduce solids I will be able to feel the restriction. Because honestly? I'm only a month in, and I feel NO restriction. It's frustrating, but not the end of the world. Willpower was never my problem. But I'm so looking forward to that feeling I hear a lot on here when people say "Oh I ate half an egg and was SO STUFFED." This has....not been my experience. 😕
      Really hoping that's because my foods are so mushy/soft right now. We shall see. 
      Regardless, I'm 100 percent committed. I hear over and over how this tool is the most powerful for about a year, maybe/possibly a wee bit more. I will not sabotage that for the world. 
      So - doing my happy dance at 31 pounds down - I'm in a "weight decade" I haven't seen in a very long time. And it only gets better from here! 
      · 3 replies
      1. Bastian

        Fantastic! Well done on the beans and hummus restriction, :D :141_dancer:

      2. ms.sss

        Excellent attitude! I foresee great success in your future :)

      3. CrowLuv

        Thanks y'all, I really appreciate the encouragement! :)

    • veisor  »  Panda333

      Hi!
      Thank you for replying.   It means the world to me.  It also confirmed what I been feeling about which procedure to choose.   I fall into the category as you do and elected the sleeve as it seemed to be less invasive and recovery would be better and faster,  however I am so afraid to regain the weight back since I rarely eat and obesity runs in my family.   I have two siblings that had the bypass and they have been successful.  My sister was in the high 400's and is about 140 now and has been for several years since her procedure.  I guess I felt that the sleeve would allow me to have more control, however I realized that I can't control my genetics and that is one of the biggest reasons that I am here.  Yes, I have not always made the best choices but trust me when I say that I have been on the loss and regain + more rollercoaster weight ride for yrs! I have spent so much money as I am sure you have as well as many others who are going through this.  It is not easy and anyone who thinks this is a copout is crazy!!! This has been harder than anything I have done including hiring a personal trainer to kick my butt in the gym! And still with all the gym hours, clean eating "not to mention the clean eating cost" I knew it was time that I moved to the next step to finally be who I know in my head and heart cause when I see myself in the mirror,  well let's just say is not the girl I see in my mind. 
      So thanks again for your reply and I hope that we can keep in touch through our journey. 
      😊
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • AggiG

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×