Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Everyone!

I have recently embarked on my weight loss journey by attending a seminar last month at REX Bariatrics in NC. I have since been back for orientation and a nutrition class. I will be meeting with my surgeon on 06/10/19. I am 424 lbs, 5'6", and have a BMI of 68. I am considering the duodenal Switch procedure.

I feel mostly excited, but apart of me is nervous for the surgery. I feel confident about doing the right things after surgery. I'm already in a good workout routine, and I have been seeing a dietitian and therapist for emotional eating. I am mostly nervous about the procedure itself. What if I am part of the percent that something goes wrong?

Also, I haven't told anyone except for my husband and mother. I'm hesitant to tell other family members because I don't think they will be supportive. At some point, won't they catch on? I don't want them to be mad later that I didn't tell them. Does anyone have advice over to tell or not?

Thank you :)

Yes, they may catch on. Maybe wait till after your surgery so they wont give you unsolicited advice. People can be very judgemental and cruel.

My Dr suggested the DS. I went with the sleeve though.

Since surgery I have lost 50 pounds and and my diabetes is lowering. I only take 20mg of Lantus at night. My bs is still about 145 average, but I expect it to get better with more weight loss.

Best decision I've ever made.

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, gabybab said:

Yes, they may catch on. Maybe wait till after your surgery so they wont give you unsolicited advice. People can be very judgemental and cruel.

My Dr suggested the DS. I went with the sleeve though.

Since surgery I have lost 50 pounds and and my diabetes is lowering. I only take 20mg of Lantus at night. My bs is still about 145 average, but I expect it to get better with more weight loss.

Best decision I've ever made.

Good luck!

Thank you, gabybab :)

I think it's a great suggestion to wait. That's what I have been leaning towards, anyways. I've heard different family members judge other family members and friends who have had WLS and I don't want to go through that at all.

Congratulations!! That is wonderful! I wish you the best of luck as well, gabybab. Thanks again!

They will obviously catch on but it is your decision who to tell and when. It is all about what you feel comfortable doing. I didn't tell many people... maybe 8. It became pretty obvious a few months after the surgery lol I had DS surgery about 14 months ago and I'm so glad I did. I was in the hospital for two nights (surgery on Friday very early a.m. and discharged Sunday afternoon). As far as the nerves, just prepare the best you can. It helped me knowing everything was set for after the surgery. Good luck!

9 hours ago, misskim3297 said:

They will obviously catch on but it is your decision who to tell and when. It is all about what you feel comfortable doing. I didn't tell many people... maybe 8. It became pretty obvious a few months after the surgery lol I had DS surgery about 14 months ago and I'm so glad I did. I was in the hospital for two nights (surgery on Friday very early a.m. and discharged Sunday afternoon). As far as the nerves, just prepare the best you can. It helped me knowing everything was set for after the surgery. Good luck!

Thank you, misskim :)

Thank you for sharing how having everything set for after surgery helped you feel better. Congratulations on your surgery!! I am a planner and I like having control over situations. I think that is why I am so anxious, because I haven't been through this before and it is out of my hands. I will do my very best to be as prepared as possible, and try to take it one day at a time.

Can I ask you a few questions? How much pain were you in while in the hospital? Was it worse than you were expecting, or were your expectations worse than the actual pain?

Thanks again!

51 minutes ago, AllieCat1993 said:

Thank you, misskim :)

Thank you for sharing how having everything set for after surgery helped you feel better. Congratulations on your surgery!! I am a planner and I like having control over situations. I think that is why I am so anxious, because I haven't been through this before and it is out of my hands. I will do my very best to be as prepared as possible, and try to take it one day at a time.

Can I ask you a few questions? How much pain were you in while in the hospital? Was it worse than you were expecting, or were your expectations worse than the actual pain?

Thanks again!

You can ask whatever you want. I wasn't in a great deal of pain. I asked for pain medication while I was in the hospital but didn't need any once I was discharged. Everything felt more like muscle soreness rather than pain. It felt like I did too many sit ups. I was very sick from the anesthesia. My back also hurt from laying on a metal operating table for 4 hours. Let me know if you have any other questions.

5 minutes ago, misskim3297 said:

You can ask whatever you want. I wasn't in a great deal of pain. I asked for pain medication while I was in the hospital but didn't need any once I was discharged. Everything felt more like muscle soreness rather than pain. It felt like I did too many sit ups. I was very sick from the anesthesia. My back also hurt from laying on a metal operating table for 4 hours. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you. This gives me an idea of how I might feel, and I appreciate that. How long did it take you to finish your pre op appointments? My doctor has sent referrals out for everything but I haven't heard anything back yet. I was told that if I had everything done by October then I could have my surgery in December. I'm really striving to have everything done before then since my insurance renews at the beginning of the year.

@AllieCat1993

Hi. They do the traditional DS, right?

Here's my thought about telling. I had the DS 14 years ago. Only my immediate family and doctors know (I tell all doctors as I feel it's important for them to know as part of any treatment I might receive). You can't unring the bell. Once you tell it's done. Perhaps you'd consider keeping it to your husband and mother now and then can always revisit your decision later.

1 hour ago, Postop said:

@AllieCat1993

Hi. They do the traditional DS, right?

Here's my thought about telling. I had the DS 14 years ago. Only my immediate family and doctors know (I tell all doctors as I feel it's important for them to know as part of any treatment I might receive). You can't unring the bell. Once you tell it's done. Perhaps you'd consider keeping it to your husband and mother now and then can always revisit your decision later.

Hi Postop. Yes, they do the traditional DS. I agree in informing doctors because it can impact any course of treatment. That is a very wise way to think of it. The last thing I want is for that to be the only thing people want to talk about, no matter how proud I will feel. Thank you!

I had the DS at Wake Med in Cary. I started out with a 42 bmi now 15 months later I am a 25. Diabetes gone, high blood pressure gone, and high cholesterol gone!!! I still dont recognize myself in the mirror! The only downfall is smelly poops and smelly gas but the Dr put me on Creon and it seems to be helping. As for telling people, everyone I've told has been supportive but I think it's a personal choice. Best decision I ever made!!! Oh and it took me 8 8 months from start to finish!Good luck on your journey!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app

21 minutes ago, angyplus5 said:

I had the DS at Wake Med in Cary. I started out with a 42 bmi now 15 months later I am a 25. Diabetes gone, high blood pressure gone, and high cholesterol gone!!! I still dont recognize myself in the mirror! The only downfall is smelly poops and smelly gas but the Dr put me on Creon and it seems to be helping. As for telling people, everyone I've told has been supportive but I think it's a personal choice. Best decision I ever made!!! Oh and it took me 8 8 months from start to finish!Good luck on your journey!!!!

Hey there, NC friend! :) Thank you so much for sharing with me. It helps to hear real stories, sometimes. Congratulations on your success!!

Hey there, NC friend! [emoji4] Thank you so much for sharing with me. It helps to hear real stories, sometimes. Congratulations on your success!!
Sorry it wasn't 88 months it was 8 lol

On 5/9/2019 at 1:28 PM, angyplus5 said:

Sorry it wasn't 88 months it was 8 lol

I figured it was a typo, but I had a good laugh :) Congratulations on your success!!

I figured it was a typo, but I had a good laugh [emoji4] Congratulations on your success!!
Thank you so much!!!

Make sure your program keeps on you checking your Iron and Calcium levels.

My mom had a switch done back in 05 and after a few years she needed IV iron and had sever osteoporosis.

She did lose alot of weight though, just make sure they keep an eye on that.