Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Return to Work after Surgery

Hello, I’m currently in my pre-op phase and wanted to know how long were some of you out of work while recovering from surgery?

Thanks!

I took off 4 weeks. I think it was the perfect amount of time for me personally, but I am aware some people go back after 1-2 weeks. I used the time to get used to sipping fluids throughout the day, exercising, napping, and getting my Protein. Prior to surgery I wasn't sure how my body would deal with the massive decrease in calories. I probably could have gone back after 3 weeks. Totally a personal decision.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I took two weeks off. The first week was an adjustment period. Getting used to the sleeve etc. My second week, I felt so much better, knowing what I could tolerate etc.

I have surgery on April 29th and plan to go back on May 6th one week after. I work in an office, no heavy lifting and free to move around as often as I want to.

Personally I would have needed 3 weeks. Good luck!

My doctor told me he wants me off for 4 weeks only because I'm a paramedic. Honestly, I don't plan on taking that much time off because I can easily go to my part time medic job and do a lot of other things that don't require lifting. After I had my gallbladder out I was ready to go back after 2 weeks but my doc wouldn't release me until 6 weeks.

I’m off 6 weeks per my surgeon, I may ask for a few more additional weeks, has been a hard transition.

8 weeks, but I’m a teacher and it was summer

I was off for 2 weeks. I wasn’t 100% when I went back but it was doable since I work in an office.

I go back to work in the morning after three weeks off, and I am surprisingly excited. At work there will still be a focus on getting enough fluids and remembering to eat a meal.

The post surg problems/concerns I have now are related to low calorie/low blood sugar moments, so I don't think sitting at home is going to help me learn how to adapt, but I had a very smooth recovery from what I have read.

The best advice I have is never trust a fart if you are away from home...

Edited by jg7979
spelling

Thank you all. I was only going to take a week off but i think I’ll have to take more.

Did any of you tell your work you were taking leave bc of having a sleeve or did you tell them something else?

I told them--there were questions when I suddenly started drinking Protein Shakes and stopped eating ice cream after lunch. Also, I used FMLA for all of the appointments, etc. and applied for short term disability for surgery.

I could have just as easily taken my PTO and not said a word.

A lot of it depends on what your job offers you to cover time off, but it is one of those things you have to do what is comfortable for you. You are doing it for you, so don't let the negative voices weigh you down...

I manage the department, so I just told them that I will be on vacation for a week. I am always dieting and if anyone comment on my weight loss. I'd am going to say just another diet am on.

I told my co-coworkers and they all have been very supportive. I went through short term disability so I had to tell them the doo was having.