Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Under 25 and choosing this?!

So, I'm 23 and set to have RNY on May 30th. I've never second guessed my decision for a moment, but for my family and close friends that I have told, they seem to equate youth with the ability to just diet and exercise to combat obesity (trust me...been there, done that)--stating, "But, like...have you tried just eating healthy and exercising? You're not even 25, and this is like major and a lifelong commitment."

I'm sure many of you, no matter the age, have experienced this. I guess I wish the stigma was better for all of us. For anyone that is under 30, do you feel similarly?

Edited by giddygiddygiddy

And I thought I was too "old" at 53. I don't think there's any age too young or too old to get healthier and use this surgery as a tool for a better life. Good luck with your WLS journey.

Just now, GradyCat said:

And I thought I was too "old" at 53. I don't think there's any age too young or too old to get healthier and use this surgery as a tool for a better life. Good luck with your WLS journey.

Thank you so much! I agree that there is no "right time" to take back your health and life. My coworker, who is 72, just had the sleeve done! It was a bumpy road for him after surgery, but overall, it has been so worth it for him!

Hello I’m 26 and I get the same thing from my family🤦🏽‍♀️ all they say is your young just excerise and eat better. But I do all of that I don’t eat fried food in over a year and half and I’m 5’3 248lbs it’s hard and my mind is made up already. But I say don’t let there opinions stop what your trying to do for yourself. You know what’s best for you💪🏾

10 minutes ago, ohollister said:

Hello I’m 26 and I get the same thing from my family🤦🏽‍♀️ all they say is your young just excerise and eat better. But I do all of that I don’t eat fried food in over a year and half and I’m 5’3 248lbs it’s hard and my mind is made up already. But I say don’t let there opinions stop what your trying to do for yourself. You know what’s best for you💪🏾

With friends, do you feel like not even telling them? I have close friends that I made in my sorority in college, but they are all blessed with amazing metabolisms and they just don't understand anything to do with obesity.

Well I really only have one close friend and she is on the heavy side also and she is very supportive she always tells me if I feel like that’s what I wanna do then by all means do it. But it’s always the ones who wouldn’t understand what we go through who says don’t do it.

I'm almost 60. I spent 40 years trying to diet and exercise it away. It never worked for me. I'd lose 40 or 50 or even 60 pounds, and it'd come right back on. Again and again and again. My only regret is that I didn't have this done several years ago.

I had the surgery right before my 30th birthday (November 2018). I wish I had done it when I was 25. I started on the path to get approval at 25 or 26, but the insurance requirements were impossible. Finally I switched jobs and got much better insurance and was approved very quickly. I wish it would have been possible for me to do it at your age. (I say that like I am so much older, lol).

When I had my sleeve, I was 23.

I lost more than 50kgs. And I did try dieting and exercising before, losing twenty kgs, regaining twenty-five...

So yeah, people don't know sh*t about what you are personally going through, so they can mostly keep their opinion for themselves. Just smile and nod and do what you intended to do.

Today I am 26, I finally have a body I am not ashamed of and I am really happy with the results.

I wish I would have had the opportunity/wisdom to pursue surgery at a much younger age. It could have saved me so much heartache and $$ (all those years of failed diet programs, diabetes/hbp meds!).

Sent from my SM-G960W using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm 28 and just had VSG in February, which was right after my bday. The only person that said anything about my age was my mother, who has also been overweight my whole life and was the last person I expected to get s*** from since she knows my history.

I'm 38 and wish I had done it 10 years ago. You're so young and have so much life left. I feel like I lost so much life being obese and rejecting outings and get togethers because I was embarrassed. Do what you have to do to live your best life.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 4/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, giddygiddygiddy said:

So, I'm 23 and set to have RNY on May 30th. I've never second guessed my decision for a moment, but for my family and close friends that I have told, they seem to equate youth with the ability to just diet and exercise to combat obesity (trust me...been there, done that)--stating, "But, like...have you tried just eating healthy and exercising? You're not even 25, and this is like major and a lifelong commitment."

I'm sure many of you, no matter the age, have experienced this. I guess I wish the stigma was better for all of us. For anyone that is under 30, do you feel similarly?

Hey there,

I am 25 and I can relate to how you are feeling. I have always struggled with my weight, except it is out of control now. Two months ago when I went to my doctor, I weighed 442 lbs- the heaviest I have ever been. I am 5'6", now at 424 lbs, with a bmi of 68. I honestly wish I would have followed through with WLS sooner. I talked to my doctor about bariatric surgery and have since been researching different places to get it done. I have settled on REX Bariatrics (I live in NC). I have gone to a seminar, orientation, and nutrition meeting. I have my first meeting with my surgeon on 6/10/19. I am doing the research to make an informed decision. I have high blood pressure, I'm asthmatic, and I am prediabetic. Having this surgery can change all of that for me.

I know what got me to this point. I became depressed and ate my emotions. Now that I have been through and continue therapy, I am in a much better place emotionally, but I'm stuck with this unhealthy body from the depressed behavior. The frustrated side of me wishes family could understand that I am doing this to better my health, and that it is not something I decided to do on a whim. Like many of us here, we have tried it all. We've tried the diets and different diet pills. We've tried eating less and working out more, and for some reason, it didn't work. Unlike most family members, I have more than 20 lbs to shed- more like 250 lbs to go.

I think it is really hard for them to understand because they haven't been in our position. It's hard to support something you don't understand. Gently remind them you are doing this for your health and that having support will help you. I know it's important to feel their acceptance, but at the end of the day you are an adult and can make your own decisions. You are making informed decisions and have put in the research and hard work to get to where you are. Try to shake off negative comments because it doesn't change what you are doing. You can do this!

I wish you the best of luck in your journey!!

This surgery is not a cop-out like most think. This is an opportunity for you to take charge of your life and do something proactive about your situation. Your willingness to take the steps for a “life time” commitment shows your maturity. Make yourself happy and don’t let others decide how YOU live. I’m 42. I wish I had the sleeve surgery a long time ago. Just my personal opinion. Good luck on your journey!!!

And don't wait until you are old and gray like me. Well I never did gray but I am older than the average bear. And although my surgery should give me more than a few extra years, I wasted so much time sad, obese, and willing to settle for so little. You are smart to do this. so much younger in life!