Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I use Decaf instant crystals to flavor Protein Shakes. I was told that it is caffeine that should be avoided--though the acidity of coffee can cause stomach upset.

I've drunk coffee from fairly early on, I can't tolerate Protein Drinks, but coffee and Decaf is how I get half my Fluid in every day. I just use instant, with boiling Water and skim milk, I count the calories of the milk as one of my meals. I'm over 6 months out now, occasionally I'll buy a 'proper' coffee if I'm out but sometimes that will turn my stomach. My surgeon said coffee was fine, guess all surgeons different 🥴

I think I waited two months to have Decaf. A month later I went to a weak version of half caff and now do either two cups of half caff or one half and one decaf

I’m a sleever and I couldn’t handle Protein Shakes. The whey taste was too much. I have a nespresso machine and got my Protein in from day 1 with 1% milk lattes fortified with 10% or more skim milk powder or milkshakes with sugar free mix made the same.

Do Decaf if it’s before bed, and down to one smaller latte now as get to target with food most days. Never had a prob with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My doctor actually said i could sip on a cup of coffee the day I was leaving the hospital. He said that if I am a coffee drinker already then it should be ok. And it's just small sips.

I was given coffee in the hospital, so I continued to drink it. When I met with my nutritionist I asked if it had to be Decaf, she said regular was fine.

My surgeon time me to kick coffee completely before surgery (plus soda and alcohol), I haven't had any in over a month and I'm less than 3 weeks from surgery. I don't anticipate having any for a while after but I miss it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon doesn't restrict coffee and is one of the few that doesn't. I'll be honest, if it weren't for coffee there would be some days I don't get my Fluid intake in. Also, I'm a nurse that works night shift right now so I absolutely need coffee. I will say that I can get a medium iced coffee from dunkin and it'll last me all day, and I can't do Starbucks coffee anymore, sits like lead in my pouch. Yes, caffeine is a diuretic and could potentially dehydrate you but so long as you're on top of your Water otherwise you'll be fine.

I hate Protein Shakes and couldn’t deal anymore, I have started having chike Protein coffee mixed with high protein milk and Im one week post op. I figure the benefit outweighs the harm because I start my day with nearly 20 grams of protein easily.

My surgeon and nutritionist are ok with coffee. I start every day at the Starbucks drive through. I get a tall sized nitro cold brew and have them put it in a venti cup. I then dump in my Premier Protein shake, either vanilla or Cookies & cream. 20
Oz of Fluid and 30g of Protein. I sip away at it on my hour long commute in to work. It’s delicious!

My surgeon says no issues with coffee just watch the sugars and milk been using straight coffee in my shakes since day 4 post op

On 4/13/2019 at 7:39 PM, llfonseca said:

I know I am not supposed to have coffee

I am three weeks in , is anyone else having coffee issue??

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I got approved for Decaf pretty early on, though I wasn't approved for caffeinated until maybe about 3 months, because there was too much risk that I couldn't get in enough hydrating fluids to counteract the caffeine. Now I can drink caffeinated coffee, but I need to be prepared to drink an equivalent amount of Water to balance it in addition to all the hydration I normally get in. I also have to be careful what I add to it so I'm not drinking too many of my calories.

Caffeine is dehydrating which is a BIG risk the first month or so after surgery. Personally I'm trying to stay off for 6 months, not even Decaf.

I haven't waded into a coffee discussion in quite sometime. Since it has been a while and I am at least a pot & a half a day drinker of coffee, I have some experience.

When talking coffee, we all say coffee but we don't all mean the same thing. Coffee to me is regular coffee with cream. My uncle says coffee and it means black. My coworker says coffee and it is this whipped cream covered sundae in a huge cup with enough sugar to kill a diabetic.

The first thing to debunk is that coffee is diuretic. Caffeine is diuretic yes, but the amount of liquid present in a cup of coffee is more than enough to offset that. It will not dehydrate you.

When coffee is said to be acidic, that is actually in reference to the flavor; not the pH level. Our own saliva is more acidic than coffee and our stomach is far more acidic than that.

https://espressocoffeeguide.com/low-acid-coffee/

The only things to truly be cognizant of is that caffeine, regardless of its source, attaches to the same receptors that Vitamin D and Calcium bond to. So if you take supplements for those, don't take them with coffee. The other thing is that coffee can stimulate the bowels. Some people have always been like this, a good strong cup can send me to the bathroom relatively quick. That was before surgery and still happens today. Some people never had that issue before and now they do. It's not uncommon.