Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Diet and Loss Rates

I am in "research mode" right now, reading everything I can get my hands on, and I see many posts from people who have issues transitioning from one "stage" of the post-op diet to the next...which made me wonder: does your rate of loss have anything to do with the types of food you're eating post surgery? What I mean is -- do you lose faster if you stay on liquids / purees / soft foods longer?

I realize that the people who are asking are doing so because they are miserable and nauseated, and uncomfortable, so it obviously is not a great place to be... I was just curious.

56 minutes ago, CelticBeautyEvolving said:

"research mode" -- do you lose faster if you stay on liquids / purees / soft foods longer?

@CelticBeautyEvolving

Welcome to our group - we've been waiting/expecting you☺️

During liquids etc. - you should/will lose more weight than when you reach solids

when you are doing solids, you will continue to lose at a great loss. The first 6 months

(some say longer) is referred to as a "honeymoon period" - take advantage of this

period, work the program extra hard, Your weight will come off easier.

But..... you should follow all the rules all the time, and you will continue to lose weight,

"research mood" good for you - "Knowledge is Power"☺️

good luck

kathy

It really doesn't make a significant (if any) difference, as we all typically go through stall, pause or slowdown after 2-3 weeks (do a search for "three or third week stall') as that is about the time that the body is shifting gears and adapting to working under a major caloric deficit. It happens whether one is on liquids, "full" liquids, purees/mushes or more solid foods; many get the impression that it makes a difference because most are usually transitioning between phases at about the same time, but even those of us who were not transitioning (we were on soft foods from the outset on our program) experienced the same thing.

https://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.php

Once we get through that initial stall and transition away from living on our glycogen and start making up for the caloric shortfall with predominantly burning our fat stores, the loss rate will slow down some as fat burns more slowly than glycogen (carbohydrates, mostly), and our loss rate will typically decline over time as it takes fewer calories to move ourselves around at 200 lb than it does at 300 lb, etc.

We lose weight faster during the liquid phase because it's right after the surgery and that's when the greatest weight loss is. Now at 4 months post-op I don't think doing a liquid diet for two weeks would generate greater weight loss than continuing eating the Protein foods than I am now eating. Also, the first six months is the greatest period of post-op loss and happens slightly quicker than later.

3 hours ago, CelticBeautyEvolving said:

I am in "research mode" right now, reading everything I can get my hands on, and I see many posts from people who have issues transitioning from one "stage" of the post-op diet to the next...which made me wonder: does your rate of loss have anything to do with the types of food you're eating post surgery? What I mean is -- do you lose faster if you stay on liquids / purees / soft foods longer?

I realize that the people who are asking are doing so because they are miserable and nauseated, and uncomfortable, so it obviously is not a great place to be... I was just curious.

Welcome and enjoy your research.

Try not to get hung up on how much you will lose and how fast. Age, sex, medical issues, medications body physiology etc. will be factors in how much you lose and how fast.

The goal is to eat real whole foods. No one should stay on the first stages. Your diet will be sustainable long term. Your best weight loss is in the first stages because your surgery restriction is tight. Your restriction will become less over time and weight loss slows down. (this is normal)