Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Shakey 2 1/2 Weeks Post

Hello there! I am at almost three weeks post surgery and these past couple days have been feeling shakey all day and a little lightheaded when I stand up sometimes. I've checked blood sugar regularly and am in the 90s.

I'm getting at least 70 grams of Protein and at least 75 ounces or more of Water. I have not had much of an appetite at all so I usually eat like 2 or 3 little things besides my Protein Shakes.

Full disclosure - My surgery did not quite go smoothly... They nicked some muscle or something on the way in and didn't know it. I had to have an emergency surgery like 12 hours after my RNY because I had significant internal bleeding. I was kept in the hospital for four days and also had two blood transfusions before being released because my blood count was still low.

But since then I feel pretty great! Very little pain, no nausea or vomiting, I have most of my energy back, almost zero appetite so easily maintaining a pureed diet only... I just don't know what this shaking is. Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m not as far along as you are but I feel bad that you are feeling that way. Are you able to go to the dr and get a blood test to check your Iron, or other levels? Also have you been taking your Vitamins religiously?

It sounds like it could be orthostatic hypotension, low blood pressure particularly when changing position or standing up, and is not unusual as we lose weight rapidly - the cardio system has to adjust to there being less body to pump blood through, and could possibly be an offshoot of your transfusions if the numbers aren't quite right yet. It is not unusual to have to cut back on any blood pressure meds that one is on. I had a similar problem years after my WLS as a result of a blood loss, so it could be either, so check with your docs on that to get things back in balance. Worst case is that there may still be a bit of an internal bleed going on (hopefully not after them monitoring you in hospital for a few days before discharge,,,) but best not to hold off on contacting the docs just in case.

Good luck....

Thank you for the feedback. I have been taking all my Vitamins, including 30 Iron daily. And I do not take any blood pressure meds, the only thing I'm taking is an antidepressant. I'm a little concerned because I leave Monday night for an international trip that my doctor approved.

Well as long as you’re approved and have travel insurance... and you’re covered under your conditions... otherwise I would go first to get check out just in case before your trip... is there a walk in clinic? When is your trip and where are you going?

I definitely have time Monday morning to see someone, but it wouldn't be my surgeon, probably an urgent care person. I'm leaving for China, flight at 5pm, but I'm leaving from Seattle and am already here with my family and my surgeon is in Los Angeles.

I'm thinking I'll call the after hours general nurse line today and depending what they say I'll call the bariatric nurse for my surgeon on Monday morning and get advice.

Everything @RickM said and i would look up the side effects of the medication you’re on. You might have to be switched to another antidepressant that doesn’t effect your bp. I hope you get answers before your flight leaves!!