Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So i found this this app hoping to get better out look on my surgery i dont get out offten to scared to look at myself or others to look at me. I have been off and on thinking about getting a gastric bypass done. So nervous tomorrow i have a 3 hour information class. Then i get to see a surgon to go from there.

Sent from my LG-M430 using BariatricPal mobile app

Being nervous is normal. I remember being nervous to go to the first informational class but once I was there I relaxed and learned so much. I am scheduled for surgery on the 29th of this mont and wish I could have do this years ago.

I was really nervous too when I first started thinking about this. Sadly my first attempt didn't go over to well. However, I wasn't as determined as I was the second time. The first time I was scared and my parents who were my support, didn't support the decision. They made it so hard on me and in the end I just couldn't afford it. The second time they were scared they were going to lose me and the travel time was much less.

So the class, you have nothing to worry about. It's a lot of information but they want you to make the right decision. They want to help you. I suggest you take a notepad and a pen and take some notes. It sounds like you probably are not the type to ask questions, that's fine neither am I. But right some down for when you see the surgeon and just give them the paper. It's less stressful that way.

Try to take some deep breathes and try to know why you want this. And then focus on that reason. I was terrible anxious and even went into anxiety attacks here and there. A good surgeon will take their time and address your fears and nervousness. They don't want you to do something you will regret. You've got this, but just remember to breathe. And good luck.

I was really nervous too when I first started thinking about this. Sadly my first attempt didn't go over to well. However, I wasn't as determined as I was the second time. The first time I was scared and my parents who were my support, didn't support the decision. They made it so hard on me and in the end I just couldn't afford it. The second time they were scared they were going to lose me and the travel time was much less.
So the class, you have nothing to worry about. It's a lot of information but they want you to make the right decision. They want to help you. I suggest you take a notepad and a pen and take some notes. It sounds like you probably are not the type to ask questions, that's fine neither am I. But right some down for when you see the surgeon and just give them the paper. It's less stressful that way.
Try to take some deep breathes and try to know why you want this. And then focus on that reason. I was terrible anxious and even went into anxiety attacks here and there. A good surgeon will take their time and address your fears and nervousness. They don't want you to do something you will regret. You've got this, but just remember to breathe. And good luck.
Its more about being nervous if my insurance will cover it or if mentally i can pass it or if i can do the things they ask of me to do the the things they ask of me i know i want to do this i have been looking at doing this for 12 years and doing alot of reading and studing on it for years. Its all on peoples judgment if i can thats the part i am nervous about

Sent from my LG-M430 using BariatricPal mobile app

Ahh, okay, I see where you're coming from. Insurance is always weird, but I've talked with other people doing WLS and they were like me, the doctor's office will do what ever it can to get them to approve it. So long as they don't have to lie or cheat. The mental part of it, I was scared too. I have depression and anxiety and a touch of PTSD. I really wasn't sure they would go for this. My psychologist wanted this for me and felt it would help me in the long run. My surgeon's in house counselor felt I could do benefit from it too. As for what they ask you to do. They don't ask you to change your habits overnight. Baby steps are your friends. They told me no caffeine as a pre-op. I was drinking 4 cups of coffee a day. But they were fine with me taking baby steps down to nothing and in the end I was caffeine free for three months before surgery. And at some point after surgery you can go back to it. You may not want to but you can.

Some of the things they ask you to do is not forever. Others are. How you eat will be a forever thing. Taking Vitamins is another forever and drinking lots of Water. You get use to it. They make their judgments based on what you show them you can do. Yes, I have a mental health problem, but I take my meds and I see someone twice a month. They view that as a plus. I was nervous because I had never officially done a diet program. But I did them with my mom while she was signed up for them. And I tried to eat a low fat diet on my own. Shockingly they took that as me trying diet plans. Unless you are completely unwilling to work the program and stick with it, they doctors and their teams are happy to work with you. I really hope that helps.

It becomes a part of life. I am currently 6 weeks post-op, and glad that I had the surgery! Like you, I was nervous about, and unsure, as to whether I would be able to meet all the requirements; however, knocked them off 1 by 1. Everyone on the teams were absolutely wonderful and never made me feel inadequate or stupid or anything negative. I’m a Pepsi drinker and thought it was going to be difficult to let that go, but, I don’t really miss it...it’s hard enough making sure I’m taking in everything I need lol. They prepare us and are very informative about it all. Make sure that you’re totally honest with them...a lot of people in my orientation class were complaining due to the length of time it was taking and they wanted a surgery date right then (me too lol), but one can definitely understand and appreciate why they are so cautious and thorough. Oh, I forgot! I think the most difficult part for me was the optifast! I was sooOOoooOoo hungry lol I’m not anymore 🤪

Edited by Mdnytangel

2 hours ago, Mdnytangel said:

It becomes a part of life. I am currently 6 weeks post-op, and glad that I had the surgery! Like you, I was nervous about, and unsure, as to whether I would be able to meet all the requirements; however, knocked them off 1 by 1. Everyone on the teams were absolutely wonderful and never made me feel inadequate or stupid or anything negative. I’m a Pepsi drinker and thought it was going to be difficult to let that go, but, I don’t really miss it...it’s hard enough making sure I’m taking in everything I need lol. They prepare us and are very informative about it all. Make sure that you’re totally honest with them...a lot of people in my orientation class were complaining due to the length of time it was taking and they wanted a surgery date right then (me too lol), but one can definitely understand and appreciate why they are so cautious and thorough. Oh, I forgot! I think the most difficult part for me was the optifast! I was sooOOoooOoo hungry lol I’m not anymore 🤪

You are so right about everything here. I don't miss caffeine coffee at all, but I missed the taste of coffee. I drink Decaf now and not even everyday. Just when I miss the flavor or I want something hot to drink in the morning. This all becomes second nature and you forget how it was before. Or how hard it was to learn. My surgeon waited almost 8 months before giving me a surgery date. Not that I wasn't doing good at losing the weight and making the goals they made for me. But since I was getting two surgeries done at once she wanted my BMI down a little further.

That’s awesome, GreatGoddess!!!