Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For the past couple of weeks, life felt unbearable due to a 2 inch stomach ulcer. I stayed in the hospital for 6 days because of it. After being discharged from the hospital, I was still in pain and the vomiting didn't let up either. None of the medicines they gave me on discharge worked. Went to see the gastroenterologist yesterday and was informed that I have sludge in my gallbladder and that it was primarily the cause of the ulcer developing. I never knew, until yesterday that could happen. So my gastroenterologist recommended that my gallbladder be removed, because that will be the most beneficial way to eliminate the ulcer problem so that the ulcer can heal. Now I just have to meet with the surgeon. He also gave me some new medications. I was told after surgery by my surgeon, that gallstones were possible due to rapid weight loss. However, I was never informed that gallbladder sludge could be possible.

Poor you, that sounds horrible :( I hope that they get to the bottom of this soon and fix it! Gallbladder issues can be absolute agony. When it gets to this point, it's probably best to have it whipped out.

Poor you, that sounds horrible [emoji20] I hope that they get to the bottom of this soon and fix it! Gallbladder issues can be absolute agony. When it gets to this point, it's probably best to have it whipped out.
Thank you. Yes getting it removed is what's going to be best. I want to enjoy things again. This has definitely been an eye opening experience dealing with all of this

I am sorry to hear that you are still not 100%. Gallbladder issues can be painful. I had my gallbladder removed 7yrs ago and the procedure was very simple. I spent a night in the hospital and never took the pain medicine they prescribed.

good luck and feel better soon.

I am sorry to hear that you are still not 100%. Gallbladder issues can be painful. I had my gallbladder removed 7yrs ago and the procedure was very simple. I spent a night in the hospital and never took the pain medicine they prescribed.
good luck and feel better soon.
Thank you. I'm staying hopeful that getting it removed will help

Getting it out will help!
I am 3 days post op of getting my gallbladder removed. I am 10 months post bypass surgery. I did not feel good when I ate anything for 6 months but my surgeon did not think I had ulcers or anything serious. When I ate I would have pain on my left side below my ribs and I also just did not feel like myself or generally I felt not well. On Super Bowl Sunday I had a severe gallbladder attack. I went to UPMC where I had my bypass and they found severe sepsis blood infection caused by my gallbladder backing up bile in my liver ducts. My liver was also inflamed. So I had 7 days in the hospital and another 14 days of in home IV antibiotics. Then they finally took it out on Feb 28. I can say that I feel more like my old self than I have for a while. The operation went well and I was released home on the same day as the surgery. Good luck but getting the gallbladder removed should improve your health.

I’m sorry you’re going through this; however, I am glad that there is a fix! All the best and praying for a speedy reprieve for you 🙂

Thanks! 😀 Hopefully all will be good from now on!

Had my gallbladder out 2 months post op in January and felt better immediately same day.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Curious, for those that replied they had their gallblader out post WLS, do you remember if you took Ursodiol post op?

@scoutcr - I get that same pain under my lower left ribs after eating. Please explain more about how it progressed.

Curious, for those that replied they had their gallblader out post WLS, do you remember if you took Ursodiol post op?
@scoutcr - I get that same pain under my lower left ribs after eating. Please explain more about how it progressed.
I took it after surgery. Some kind of way still ended up with sludge. The pain you mention, sounds a lot like the pain that I was having, when I found out about my ulcer. It's best to make an appointment with either your surgeon that performed your RNY or to see a gastroenterologist as soon as possible. Don't ignore the pains

Getting it out will help!
I am 3 days post op of getting my gallbladder removed. I am 10 months post bypass surgery. I did not feel good when I ate anything for 6 months but my surgeon did not think I had ulcers or anything serious. When I ate I would have pain on my left side below my ribs and I also just did not feel like myself or generally I felt not well. On Super Bowl Sunday I had a severe gallbladder attack. I went to UPMC where I had my bypass and they found severe sepsis blood infection caused by my gallbladder backing up bile in my liver ducts. My liver was also inflamed. So I had 7 days in the hospital and another 14 days of in home IV antibiotics. Then they finally took it out on Feb 28. I can say that I feel more like my old self than I have for a while. The operation went well and I was released home on the same day as the surgery. Good luck but getting the gallbladder removed should improve your health.
Thank you. I'm glad to hear you're doing much better now

I’m sorry you’re going through this; however, I am glad that there is a fix! All the best and praying for a speedy reprieve for you
Thank you so much

Thanks! Hopefully all will be good from now on!
You're welcome

On 3/2/2019 at 7:59 AM, AlteredReality said:

For the past couple of weeks, life felt unbearable due to a 2 inch stomach ulcer. I stayed in the hospital for 6 days because of it. After being discharged from the hospital, I was still in pain and the vomiting didn't let up either. None of the medicines they gave me on discharge worked. Went to see the gastroenterologist yesterday and was informed that I have sludge in my gallbladder and that it was primarily the cause of the ulcer developing. I never knew, until yesterday that could happen. So my gastroenterologist recommended that my gallbladder be removed, because that will be the most beneficial way to eliminate the ulcer problem so that the ulcer can heal. Now I just have to meet with the surgeon. He also gave me some new medications. I was told after surgery by my surgeon, that gallstones were possible due to rapid weight loss. However, I was never informed that gallbladder sludge could be possible.

Oh no. I’m so sorry! Having your gallbladder removed is the best thing. I had mine removed about 10 years ago, long before surgery. My bariatric surgeon says many gastric bypass patients end up having gallbladder issues after surgery, unfortunately.