Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok - getting super scared!!

My husband and I are considering the lap-band. After attending a seminar, we were really excited about the possibilities of a new life we have both longed for for soooooo long. My husband is the optimist and he is 100% on board with it. Me? I read all the negative things...the complications...the people who are miserable . . . people who regret doing it . . . etc. And now I'm starting to scare myself OUT of it, hearing all the horror stories! Some of them sound awful (gas, vomitting, MORE surgery, painful injections)!! And to top it off..some people aren't even losing weight with it! I'm so afraid I don't have the strength to do this right...much less now I'm scared to death about doing it, I've never had surgery or any type. Seems like the first few months are the scariest. Has anyone ever died from complications of lap-band? I heard of a girl today that ended up with a colostomy bag 6 months after hers because she got an infection and they had to remove part of her INTESTINES! I'm one of those people that seems to always have that "thing that never happens" happen to ME anyway. Help!

Injections aren't painful. You're worried about gas? You don't have gas now? I'm confused..

The statistics aren't bad really for complications.. Of course, I couldn't believe *I* was one either. Especially being self-pay. Was another $2.5k out of my pocket to fix the port.

But a week after the 2nd surgery, I still was happy I did it, and ready to keep on going.

Most the stuff you're posting is posted throughout the boards..

But the lap-band is a pretty safe surgery.. but it DOES take work on your part.. so if you're not ready to commit to a new lifestyle of eating, you may want to wait..

If you have a complication or you decide you are miserable, the lap-band is very easily reversed, and you go on about your life. But if you're not one of those people, it helps you lose & maintain your weight for the rest of your life.

Go to another seminar :(

For as many horror stories there are success stories, I'm a success. This is a major life changing decision that ONLY you can make for yourself. I do no persuade anyone one way or the other. This was the best choice for ME.

This Saturday I'm going to a funeral of a fellow lapbander, she was banded in Aug.'06. They said she died of "natural causes". Who knows???

I prayed and did alot of research before I got my band and 220 lbs in 20 months later, I'm very happy with MY DECISION.

If it doesn't feel right to you, than follow your heart.:(

Hi ehmo,

Welcome to the board. I completely understand where you are coming from when it comes to being scared about the surgery. This is a MAJOR life decision and it shouldn't be taken lightly. I came here before I got banded too and read the complications and it made be a bit nervous but it also gives you empowerment. You'll know now what to ask your doctor about and what to look for so that you don't have a complication. Complications are very rare with the band but they can happen. My surgeon told me that I had a better chance of getting hit by a car than I did having the surgery. I also knew that if I didn't do anything and just stayed at the weight that I was then I wouldn't be around into my 60's and well that scared me more than the surgery.

As for people not losing well I can't really address that because I'm still losing. Just remember the band isn't a "fix it all" it is a tool. I didn't fully understand that prior to getting it. But after I realized that I had to change the way I was eating and thought about food and start exercising for the band to be effective....if I hadn't done any of that then the band probably wouldn't be working for me.

I wish you much luck on your journey.

The way the "gas" pains were explained to me is that is feels like a really bad period. When your cramping and only farting and walking helps. It is that kind of a pain. It hurts but knowing it will go away helps and knowing it is temporary releives my mind.

I have never had any type of surgery either but I know if I keep on the path I am on I will be in seveir pain from being over weight. I want to enjoy my life that is why I am having the surgery.

I never had gas pains.. But if its gas pains from surgery you're talking about.. you could be like me and not have them, or you can just chalk it up to the surgery.. that should be the least of your worries, it's not permanent..

you all have been a great help. Thanks for your advice and support. It's great to hear success stories. This process is both daunting and so extremely exciting to me..and my husband. I'm new here, but I'm going to continue to filter through all of these boards and read everything I can...I'm an information sponge when it comes to stuff like this. I'm with gwhite...my husband and I shutter to think about the alternative....dying young or having serious issues later. While we are still relatively healthy at the moment, we look at this option as a preventative measure. He was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and has high blood pressure and cholesterol. And since we are near-newlyweds (almost 1.5years!), we want to start a family. But my weight is not going to allow that, much less make for a healthy situation for a baby OR myself in pregnancy. I'm still pretty scared, but more excited than anything. I think my struggle will be more mental than anything. I can tolerate pain. But I know I'm ADDICTED to food, like many are. I don't feel strong in that front whatsoever, and I worry that I'm going to get really depressed or bitchy! ha. But....still, I know that will only be temporary. And my husband will be doing it with me, so that will be the biggest support EVER! Tell me...does anybody just absolutely miss the way they used to eat? I shudder at the liquid diet for 5-6 weeks...............I can't even fathom! Even if my stomach holds only 4-6oz of "food", I know my MIND is going to want that satisfying crunch of real food.

I just got my aproval date and even though I am super excited I am getting nervous now.

Nothing in particular just nervous.