Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Digestive and gastric issues

I'm two years out and have had some problems with intermittent loose stools over the last few months, and I had a Petersen's hernia fixed last summer.

I've had explosive watery diarreah now since Fri/Saturday -5 full days and went to the doctor Mon - unable to work, feeling ill, weak some abdo pain. They've taken blood and I did the fun stool sample (tiny spoon) liquid nasty), waiting til Friday for results. But still have a tap in my bum, can't safely fart or go more than a few feet from a toilet - when it's ready there's no holding back...

I'm scared, feel ill, cross about getting yet more dude effects. Have lost 9lbs in less than a week and not enjoying weight loss for first time ever!

Any relating, advice on foods, general support be much appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: Leaving dude effects cos it's funny in an ironic way - but of course should read 'side effects'.

Edited by myfanwymoi
Typo!

Yesterday I had a violent vomiting episode. I call what I usually do urping because it's on the scale of "cat with hairball " rather gently rolling out. Yesterday after eating a small amount of food, 4 and hours it came out and it actually was projectile vomiting all over my clothing and blankie, yeah I was sitting up, if I had been lyoing down I could have aspirated, and that is scary. Before it happened I did feel very very nauseated, on the level of if " if I choke to death, God ,remember I'm yours!.

After 1015 minutes I started to feel some better, stomack, okay okay really lower chest, I always called it " tummy" until I got educated, right subcostal Pain which Dr Noria says is my ulcerations not my liver mourning the loss of my gall bladder, gosh that g.b. went away 35 years ago this month, almost to the day. Liver should have resigned itself to the fact,it's little buddy ain't coming back. Now I thought bypass pouches emptied a lit quicker than that, I'm a Med-Geek as everyone knows, too much knowledge for an unlicensed personage, 2 things cone to mind gastroparesis,or that lying surgical resident didn't really street h my stoma opening after all or its reclosed up, okay 3 things, have pity on a poor late middle-aged lady, my multiping capabilities went years ago and now I can't add as well. Just let my TPN sustain me the rest of the night, started on baby sippy Medecine cups of Fluid maybe 1.5- 2 hours later, but that was BAD while it lasted even my meds came back,up undigested, a nasty vile scene, was almost tempted to go sit in the bathtub so I wouldn't mess up the furniture. So any feedback or clairity here?

Your issue is top end and mine the other but sorry to hear about it all the same. Was it related to a food choice? I'm pretty sure my own med nerding suggests mine is bacterial. Is yours a blockage perhaps? Worth seeing a doctor anyhoo.

Edited by myfanwymoi

Well I have had as far, as I lnow, still have a stomal stricture and ulcerations in my jejunem, the portion of the small intestine the pouch is connected to. Officially diagnosed October 12, 5 weeks post- surgery but I believe it started 2-3 weeks in, they kept saying I was merely swollen, I kept saying No Something is wrong! to shut me up , we'll by golly I was right. They might have the fancy,degrees, I have lived in this body for many many years, I had inate wisdom,on the subject. Why did it happen? They told me it was an unexpected occurance, no o e I KNEW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. You see my gastroenterologist had discovered gastritis and a small stomach ulcer I had named Hector while on Omeprazole therapy, he switched me to Dexilent and Hector went peacefully to sleep. Flash forward to September 5th 2018 when 8 had my RnY surgery, what did they started me on guess what, yep Omeprazole. I told them then We gonna have problems, it may be a lovely medication but it Is Not Gastroprotective for me. Nurse Practitioner stated the medical equivalent of Shut up and let me do what I do bestm So I was a good little patient, took what they gave me , and looky what happened! I have had 6 endoscopies, twice they have attempted to stretch out that opening, first time in late October it snapped right back shut, next endoscopy it was like Dr Noria had done nothing, okay last one I had January Senior Bariatric resident Dr Noah Switzer did it, he stated I dialated you part way but enough you can eat soft solids, ha ha diddly ha , both times I have had emesis , the first time I kept it down 15 minutes after still cheing it down to the smooth applesauce pulp consistency. And yesterday was the second attempt and it went worse than the first. I was so Protein anemic and malnourished I had dropped 25 pounds in 3 weeks, and had my miserable self hospitalized at OSU for 6 days to try to build me back up, yeah at high 200s it wasn't GOING to be apparent to others but I was literally starving, they were afraid my body was going to start breaking down muscle to keep me akive, and guess what muscle they were most concerned about yeah , my ❤. The second day they put a PICC line in my arm and it remains there still. NPO, everything through the feeding catheter, immediately regained 13 pounds, but I was back on my road to healthy again. Lost 3 pounds mid December to Mid January, then dropped another 6 pounds in 2 weeks, on doctors scales, don't currently own a home one. I was to be rewarded with 1 token meal a day, odd days a Protein Shake, do you realize I have been at liquid diet level since August 1st when I went on my liver shrinking diet? That is a LONG LONG time. Then even days homemade Soup with extra Protein Powder, and if there are veggies line carrots I don't have to strain, just puree it in. But the vast majority of my nutrition is via TPN, 12 hours on,12 hours off. And every day or 2 I have a smallish greenish black sticky BM due to the extra Iron supplement I routinely take plus I'm still on prenatal Vitamins and there is iron in there too. Before all this I was fighting Constipation, the one tiny blessing of all this, no more. And foods in the past came up so often I am not hungry anymore. I only ate yesterday because I was supposed to, not from any need.
Have they checked you for C Diff? That's something your symptoms call to mind , my daughter has it and has been on Flagyl for flares. Is she on it? Can't say for sure, her code name in our family is RD for Rotten Daughter, she usually calls me when she wants something otherwise she doesn't talk, she will text her little brother when she's in the mood. WHEN I told her I was having major surgery, she said "whatever" and flat out did not care. Sure I still love her, she was my first child, but I don't much like her any more, she has hurt her little brother emotionally more than a few times, and that's hard to forgive.
Eat as bland an diet as possible, and I hope you get some real answers soon, don't want you in the hospital like I was, it may be a good place for somethings but it is not HOME! Let me know what happens next, I do care.

7 hours ago, myfanwymoi said:

I've had explosive watery diarreah now since Fri/Saturday -5 full days and went to the doctor Mon - unable to work, feeling ill, weak some abdo pain. They've taken blood and I did the fun stool sample (tiny spoon) liquid nasty), waiting til Friday for results. But still have a tap in my bum, can't safely fart or go more than a few feet from a toilet - when it's ready there's no holding back...

Sounds a little like a stomach flu. I found that eating a banana helps with controlling diarrhea. Wish you well.

Thanks James - I'm hoping that's what it is have been doing banana Soup dry toast (though just had some Greek yogurt with banana and blueberries it as a bit of an experiment. We'll see!

And frustr8...

So sorry to hear about your terrible journey... Many similarities with mine when I tried to explain to et doctors that I had a Petersen's hernia because x-rays, which don't show it, strangely didn't show it! I was also in the middle of beef betweymy private surgeon who'd just retired as NHS bariatric consultant, and his replacement. The response to surgeons request that I have emergency diagnostic laparoscopy was she's not in pain anymore - no food or drink for 48 hours by then! And I needed to be referred in the correct way, through gp. The junior doc told me my surgeon was a millionaire he should treat me for free (I was past the year by then!) By the time mine was diagnosed and fixed it was huge! So gastro problems make me anxious too!

Anyway, I hope you get some help with yours. On balance I have a BMI of 20 2 1/2 years post op, am generally fit and have faith that's what's wrong is fixable.

It can only get better - fewer chins to keep up!

Very unlucky