Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help I'm confused I want bypass because I've heard it's the best most efficient for max weight loss and fix co morbidities and diabetes.

I have to lose at least 140lbs in under a year I hope.. currently 320lbs need to be 180-185lbs as I'm 183CM tall.

I'm a man mid 30s struggle with hunger cravings all the time.

I'm curious what benefits of sleeve over RNY BYPASS? I know one of them helps with hunger hormones is that correct???

Most surgeons will tell you that RNY is the gold standard WLS. It works with restriction and malabsorption which helps to lose weight more easily.

Both surgeries have an effect on hunger hormones but apparently after a year to 18 months that effect is sometimes gone.

A sleeve is a purely restrictive procedure.

Some people that have RNY get dumping syndrome, this is usually in response to foods that are not good for weight loss anyway, high sugar, high fat etc. This can be good because if eating something makes you feel awful you are likely to stay away from it.

It is possible to eat around any kind of WLS surgery and if you forget that it is only a tool and expect it to be a magic wand you won’t get the results you desire.

I have lots of friends that have been sleeved.Some of them are maintaining goal weights approx 3 years on, a lot seem to have regained and I have 1 friend that lost very little and is now heavier than when she got the sleeve.

If you have reflux you should go straight to RNY as sleeves often make the reflux worse.

HTH

If you are on FB join the gastric bypass and sleeve support australia group. Lots of locals there that can help.

Thank you for the explanation

I understand completely we have to change our whole life around to eat better not to go back to the bad food.

Thanks for these replies! I have a 10 year old lap band that's giving me a world of woe. I just saw a surgeon and he will do either procedure, but since I have a history of GERD he is recommending the RNY.

7 minutes ago, JRTMom said:

Thanks for these replies! I have a 10 year old lap band that's giving me a world of woe. I just saw a surgeon and he will do either procedure, but since I have a history of GERD he is recommending the RNY.

Yes lap band is old technology if you can get the RNY go for it. I've heard many people being converted from VSG to RNY anyway

Have you been to a preoperative meeting?

Many programs have preoperative meetings that discuss the differences between the various weight loss surgeries. The information may be given to you by the surgeon or a bariatric coordinator in his office.

It is a good place to start your research on which surgery could be right for you.

12 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

Please help I'm confused I want bypass because I've heard it's the best most efficient for max weight loss and fix co morbidities and diabetes.

I have to lose at least 140lbs in under a year I hope.. currently 320lbs need to be 180-185lbs as I'm 183CM tall.

I'm a man mid 30s struggle with hunger cravings all the time.

I'm curious what benefits of sleeve over RNY BYPASS? I know one of them helps with hunger hormones is that correct???

For whatever it's worth, My two cents

I agree with @KimTriesRNY Check with your surgeons office on bariatric information seminars. They will discuss all types of surgery’s, statistics and take questions.

You will get a chance to sit down with your surgeon. He/She will give you suggestions on which surgery type to have (based on your medical background, tests and psych eval)

I've still yet to choose my surgeon

8 minutes ago, Mikeyy said:

I've still yet to choose my surgeon

Look up bariatric surgeons in your area.

19 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Look up bariatric surgeons in your area.

Dude I've been researching this stuff for months I know all about the local doctors and surgeons I'm just coming here asking for other people personal experience. Dr or surgeon can only give you so much information I like to know from people who are going thru the surgery and post op first hand thank you

4 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

Dude I've been researching this stuff for months I know all about the local doctors and surgeons I'm just coming here asking for other people personal experience. Dr or surgeon can only give you so much information I like to know from people who are going thru the surgery and post op first hand thank you

Many of the topics you are posting questions about are covered by informational meetings preoperatively.

Vitamin regimens, progression of diets, specific hormone and metabolic impacts of each surgery....all of these things were covered in pre op classes for most patients that go through bariatric classes.

If you have yet to choose a surgeon or go through a program, you may be putting the cart before the horse.