Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting on a long journey... hopefully

Hello, my name is Jenny. I am 41 and I'm from Chicago. I have just begun the process of having weight loss surgery. I am terrified but more scared of not doing anything. I am hopeful that losing the weight (approximately 100 lbs, ideally) will help me in all aspects of my life.

So far, I have attended the mandatory seminar and have decided on the sleeve option. I have verified my insurance company's requirements. I have submitted my application to the program. And I have been seen by a special psychologist and was approved by her. Next, I have an appointment Thursday morning with the RN in charge of the physical exam.

I'd love to hear any tips, tricks, words of advise or encouragement or... anything! This forum has already helped me a lot and I look forward to learning tons more from all of you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome to the forums! It's a great place to learn - you can find a variety of opinions and advice on just about any little thing here. I stalked this site for months before my surgery and learned a ton!

Expect the unexpected is really the only open-ended advice that works, ha!

But you can always rely on this wonderful group for words of encouragement, commiserating and humor.

I'm so glad you are here. Good luck and keep us posted on your journey!❤️

I got a lap band 10 years ago and what amazed me was the delay in scheduling the surgery because of all the insurance hoops you have to jump through. Then, suddenly, the phone rings and it's the surgeon telling you your surgery is in a week! So be patient is my best advice, it WILL happen, just more slowly (and quickly) than you think!

You'll find everything you need here in these forums, from personal experiences on each type of surgery to lessons learned and what to expect post-op. Good luck with your surgery!