Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a little uplifting depression is trying to settle in!

I’m on week 3 & I was put on full liquids until 2/15 then I can take my Vitamins & do puréed foods for a week then soft foods. I had the RNY on 1/18 and I’m getting in my Water & Protein but still feel sluggish, thirsty sometimes and constipated (not to mention my cycle showing up early) Please help me understand when it gets better because the depression is starting to set in.

That is a long time to be on full liquids, no wonder you are feeling depressed

I take things really slow. Right now if I'm honest with myself, I'm addicted to sugar free junk food. It's terrible, but we come here to tell the truth and not sugar coat it (pun intended).

Nevertheless, I had problems at first as well. I still have Constipation pretty bad. I chew a magnesium citrate pill in the afternoon, which helps me (um...you know...go) in the evening or next morning. It helps a lot. Getting in enough Fluid does the best though.

Calories is what makes you feel sluggish, and maybe low B12. Check your calories, my doc wanted me at 800 cals a day at 3 weeks out. I was at about 450 (No lie) and I felt pretty bad. 3 Protein Drinks and that was pretty much it. I still need to incorporate more Fiber into my diet - I have veggies, so I try to eat a fiborous fruit like an apple (With the skin one....can be rough, so chew chew chew!).

Bottom line is: part of your depression is probably because you wonder why you did this & you feel still pretty lousy & you might not be seeing the weight loss you expected & you miss your old food. It gets better, trust me. I've had a gallon of sugar free/low carb ice cream in the freezer since probably before Christmas. It's still unopened. I just don't want it any more.

I've not yet had my surgery but have done tons of research and I believe for those who don't feel like eating to invest in a decent Protein Shake to give all those nutrients and Vitamins as well as something like hydralite or sugar free Gatorade for those important electrolytes. It is definitely a shock to the system with this new stomach

@CyclicalLoser you’re right I don’t get enough calories in and I know that B12 is low also the thoughts of why did I do this have crossed my mind even though I know it was best. I have lost 30lbs but it’s that sluggishness & being on liquids to full liquids for a total of 4 weeks with no real caloric intake that’s a struggle with also being told I can’t take Vitamins until 2/15. Thank you so much for honesty.

Things do get better, but being realistic you are constantly watching what you eat and how much you eat.. How you chew and timing between bites. This is a lifelong journey! All i can say is try to get the positive out of what you are putting into it. I am making this into a challenge. ( I know right, its a challenge in itself) but I am preparing, changing, creating new things to eat, try.. etc so i dont have the same thing all the time and feel deflated. Also try a local support group if you dont have one.. Its good to be around others that have had the same thing as you so you can brainstorm and that sort of thing. I hope it gets better for you soon.