Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you had to start again from the beginning...

I am on the surgical schedule in December. I wanted to ask the people here if they had any particular things that if they were doing again they would have done from day one.

One thing I am concerned about is how to minimize excess skin. I have heard swimming is a good way to fix this (unfortunately those who normally need this fixed are too self-conscious to swim!). Any thoughts on this issue?

Any thing else?

Thanks and I am sorry to post such a new person post, I have done research, watched surgical videos on youtube (I could probably perform this procedure myself by now), and read every article I can get my hands on.

I am in the Boston area if that is helpful for a local resource.

Thanks again.

Congrats on your band date. One of the things I would have done better is start my exercise program the month before my banding. It would have made the change easier. I did the cola stop, fried foods, snacking, started a liquid diet the month before my dr anted me to start. Anything to lessen the impact of the new lifestyle was helpful.

I began an excersize regime before long before my surgery. In fact I joined a gym two days after my consult visit. I figured that what I would be saving on food I could afford to join a gym.

I began walking in the lazy river that they have there. I walked half hour the first time and increased from there til I was walking for one hour 5 times a week. I hated that I would have to give that up after surgery, and I can tell you that I am very anxious to get back into the Water.

I know that the walking and Water aerobics classes( I was doing twice a week) were making me feel wonderful. I miss it and want to get back to it ASAP.

So start moving, that would be my suggestion to all prebandsters.....even if it is getting up off the couch and walking outside in front of your house for 5 minutes, try to do this each and every day and maybe increase it to twice daily then three times daily. Then before you know it you will be walking for 15 minutes a day and you can go from there.:clap2:

There is something to be said about excersize and that it makes us feel great and want to keep going.

Congrats on your date; remember the next few months are the beginning of a new way of life for you.:(

I am 6 days post-op and here's what I recommend:

1. Start doing exercises to strengthen your lower back. Since the tummy muscles are so sore, the back muscles are compensating and are quite fatigued. Had they been stronger, I think this would have been easier.

2. Buy as much as you can BEFORE surgery. A few of my key finds:

• Magic Bullet (mini blender - great for mushies and Protein shakes)
  • Liquid Tylenol (Extra Strength)
  • Danon Light & Fit drinkable yogurt
  • Compression Garment has been a savior! I don't know too many patients that get them, but my surgeon sent me home with one and I think I'll wear it for the first 2 weeks because it minimizes the pain so much! Here's an example: Abdominal binder with 4 Panels (Unisex)
  • Kelo-Cote -- this is the product for scars. Buy before surgery and start using 1 week after surgery: Kelo-cote Scar Gel Skincare Product at SkinStore.com
    Also available for half the price on ebay.

These are my few favorite recommendations! Good luck!

Thanks, this is all good stuff. Fortunately I can use my school's gym and it isn't too far away, so I can start that now. As for the liquid diet, the doctors have not told me about that yet (although I have a nutritionist appointment today). The magic bullet thing sounds good... but regarding the tylenol and the soda stop. How much tylenol do you guys actually take? I have already had 2 knee surgeries and played lacrosse for 5 years, will this be worse in terms of pain or just more of a pressure feeling?

As for soda, so I assume that soda post band won't be possible. What about beer or liquor? Has anyone tried it?

I am really jazzed to get going on this.

Thanks for your support and responses.

TYLENOL -- I was put on Percocet leaving the hospital, and switched to Extra Strength liquid Tylenol. Purchased at DrugStore.com because I could not find it at 3 different local stores. I am on day 6 post-op and the Percocet was making me loopy, and the Tylenol kicks enough of the pain. While I have not had other surgeries, this feeling is more of a soreness (like I did 10,000 situps) rather than any sharp pain.

SODA -- Follow what your nutritionist tells you. Mine says sodas expand the tummy due to their bubbles, and to try and limit them. For the first month post-surgery, strict rule that sodas have to be FLAT.

Other items to buy:

-Gas-X strips (look and feel like Listerine strips)

-Milk of Magnesia liquid (to ease Constipation due to pain meds)

** I also took heavy doses of Arnica Montana (pill form), a for the 2 weeks before surgery. It's a homeopathic medicine (can get it at GNC) that minimizes bruising. Lots of plastic surgery patients take it. I have barely any bruising, and I normally bruise like a peach!

Dan:

The pain isn't bad at all. You will need liquid tylenol for the pain though because taking a pill could be a problem.

I drank some soda since being banded, but stirred it alot to get most of the bubbles out. I burp like a truck driver now - not very attractive. I don't buy soda anymore, love Snapple Diet iced teas instead. If I'm playing cards and they offer soda I'll take it, but stir like crazy, and add alot of ice to Water it down. Not a beer drinker, so don't know about that. I haven't had any cocktails yet, maybe during the Holidays.

I started dieting and exercising three months before I got banded and lost 38 pounds pre-surgery. I walked alot of my butt off, but still have plenty left. I did some swimming too, but the pool where I live is closed now so I didn't continue. I'm thinking about seeing a personal trainer shortly after Xmas - my present to myself! Oh yeah, I have an eliptical machine too - hate it, but use it anyway. I can only do six minutes at a time so far on the eliptical before my legs turn to jelly, but I'm still working at it.

Good luck.

Sue

Try not to worry yourself to much about the small things. Surgery is not that bad and you will probably do well. I was lucky and needed no pain meds, not even Tylenol after surgery. I had no gas either. Can't complain really. In addition to the above, get all your clear liquid foods for the first week if that's what your doc requires. I had a clear liquid phase for an entire week. I got sugar free popsicles - the best, sugar free Jello, broth, crystal light and a Liquid Protein drink - not the powder. I bought off line but it is terrible tasting. GNC sells the Protein bullet and it is a liquid too. Mix it with strong flavored sf juice and it is okay and you only drink 1 oz 4x a day. Soda and beer are off the list pretty much permanently because it bloats the stomach and could cause your pouch to stretch over time. They say no to alcohol too but it is okay to a have a few on occassion but remember stomach is smaller so you won't need as much to feel good. Get comfy clothes to lounge in. I rested for a week with light activities and outings. Got tired fast from walking but no pain. Went back to work in a week. I would taste test some Protein Drinks now too to see which you will be able to drink. Also, you would want to get a chewable or liquid Vitamin and Calcium supplement. I got the chewable Viatic onces - they taste like chocolate. I am sure your doc will give you a list. All about made my life so much easier the first week and by the second, you feel okay to get around and get all else needed. You will only be able to walk for the first few weeks and no lifting until 6 weeks. Swimming would be nice. As far as excess skin goes, you are young and yours will probably go back rather nice. If you have a real lot to lose you may have some excess though. My take on that is this, I don't look good now and have looked this way for a while. If I have excess skin and it doesn't look great, and can't look worse than it does now. Again, you are young and you may later have the ability to have it removed. I don't believe there are any exercises you can do to tone alot of excess skin, but I could be wrong. That comes later - now is about your health. I wish you well and you made a god decision for yourself and took control earlier on. Good for you! :(

Ok so this is a GREAT topic. I'm on the banding schedule for February. should have been done last year, but 2 beautiful girls had something to say about that. Anyway, a year ago this Sunday I went through a pretty traumatic C-Section and gave birth to twins at 31 weeks. They pretty much ripped me open (sorry TMI), I'm assuming the pain couldn't be much worse than that, and after a few days of percs I was fine.

Now the protien drinks, do they sell and unflavored one, like the Benefiber stuff that you can put in anything. I really cannot tollerate those drinks, they make me puke. I tried them all.

Thanks for all of the great info and looking for to more great advice.

Patti in NJ.

patti in nj

try slim fast high Protein Powder it's very good. the vanilla i mixed with orange juice and it tasted like a dreamsicle. put in a few ice cubes little bit of skim milk little bit of organge juice and powder, i'm sure you will like this.they do make unflavored that i bought online from Unjury that i have added to Jello and it did not change the taste

I immediately thought "I wouldnt have all those long periods of time where I didnt eat properly, where I just maintained my weight" But truthfully, I wouldnt change a thing. I'm still working on my eating habits and falling off the wagon is part of that.

I'm really pleased with how my journey has gone and how I've approached it, I've not been perfect but I have no regrets.

Hi there!

There is a product called Any whey that is tasteless and odorless according to the nurse at our pre-op class. I am getting my band on Nov. 20th and have ordered quite a few of the Protein supplements she recommended. I wanted to be totally prepared for the 2 days before and 2 weeks after liquid diet.< /span>

: ) gini