Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Exposed - Rant

Anyone watch food EXPOSED?

I watched the first of the series. It's a global investigation on food waste. I went from sad to angry. Our system is so broken and people are going without food. Feeling so over privileged living in the states.

3 hours ago, Healthy_life said:

Anyone watch food EXPOSED?

I watched the first of the series. It's a global investigation on food waste. I went from sad to angry. Our system is so broken and people are going without food. Feeling so over privileged living in the states.

Now I'm angry too, I mean I kind of knew food waste was horrible (locally)... my ex fiance and I used to drive food from his job to shelters years and years ago but I didn't know it was still at this level. I thought more places/people were making more efforts...

Globally... There are just too many people. I can't even image a solution that doesn't sound dystopic.

Edited by GreenTealael

I like the store owners explanation. The waste is built into the system. We overproduce to keep prices down. If we spread the wealth of food in the states, the corporations would lose money. It's about the money.

5 minutes ago, Healthy_life said:

I like the store owners explanation. The waste is built into the system. We overproduce to keep prices down. If we spread the wealth of food in the states, the corporations would lose money. It's about the money.

I still question some indie places, if I'm around near closing, about what they do with their excess, if they donate, it's a place I will continue to patronize, It not...

Edited by GreenTealael

One service I love, but can't use anymore because I live alone and don't eat enough, is Hungry HArvest. Its a fruit/veggie delivery service that looks for food that would otherwise be tossed - generally because its "ugly" or stupid things like the store ordered 8oz packs and the farm accidentally packed 16oz packs, so the store won't take them. They also donate food to people on SNAP. Their whole mission is to end food waste and hunger. Unlike most CSAs, you can choose (within what they have available) what veggies/fruit you want, you can start/stop/pause anytime, and the food is so fresh and good. Now that I just can't eat that much, it makes no sense for me, and I hate that I have to buy my veg from the supermarket (until our farmer's markets open back up in spring).

I need to take a closer look at my habits and meal planning again to see where I can reduce waste. I own/don't use a microwave so leftovers have to be real strategic in my family.

Thanks for the reminder ❤.

I've been letting my low waste lifestyle slip a little lately 😢

55 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

I own/don't use a microwave so leftovers have to be real strategic in my family.

When my microwave was broken for several months, I used my oven to reheat everything. Granted, I have a counter top oven that preheats quickly. Even now that I have a new microwave, I basically never use it. food is so much better reheated in the oven. It retains its moisture and texture so nicely.