Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Discouraged...

I completed all of my initial consultations yesterday (nutrition, RN/program coordinator, and psych eval). I started thinking that the lap-band was 100% for me, the entire program at the hospital where I will have the procedure seems to be pushing for RNY...I have diabetes and I am hearing that there is much better success with the resolution of diabetes after RNY, as compared to the band. I am so confused. I know it is up to me to decide, but it is dreadful. I am also feeling really discouraged because I am 5 foot 4 inches, and the nurse measured me at 5 foot 5! I have never been that tall. And I apparently lost a few lbs on the way to the hospital that morning (friendliest scale I have ever been on...) so my BMI was lower than I thought. It is still 35.7, but I had it in my mind that it was 37+. I am not really sad that my BMI is lower that expected, I am just discouraged because I know I am right on the edge for insurance approval with diabetes. My insurance seems to be really positive regarding the surgery, and I am probably just worried for nothing. It is just hard. I have been going through the motions for a couple of months now, and it is hard to think that all that I have been working for and waiting for will not be. I feel like this is/was my chance to rid myself of this dreaded disease, and finally find the "me" that I know is in this body. I just need some encouragement right now, as I continue to wait to hear what is going to happen next...Thank you all for your support and kind words, I appreciate you all so much!

I think it is normal to worry. Believe in yourself and believe that you deserve to be happy. Things will work out. You are in my thoughts.

I know it is normal to worry, but think positively...you are worth it and don't worry about it until there is something to worry about.......I am waiting for my insurance to approve the surgery and I want the surgery and I deserve the surgery and until they tell me that I am denied (at which time I will appeal as I did just to get the consult) I believe I will get the surgery.

Good Luck...you deserve it!

Sue

Thanks guys! I know I should not worry...It is just so hard with all of the waiting. I cant believe how impatient I am! I just want to meet the new me so badly. We will see how things go in the next couple of weeks. I should know something by then. I would really love to have surgery before the end of the year. I am working really hard to make that happen...It will be difficult, but I pray that I can do it!

...I started thinking that the lap-band was 100% for me, the entire program at the hospital where I will have the procedure seems to be pushing for RNY...I have diabetes and I am hearing that there is much better success with the resolution of diabetes after RNY, as compared to the band. ...

Well, that's true and it's not.

With bypass the numbers are something like 85% can stop taking diabetes meds within 10 days of surgery. It is something that really baffles the docs and scientists. Lots of theories flying around right now but no absolute proof one way or another exactly what this is from. It is causing science to take a whole new look at treatment for diabetes.

Thing is, with banding the results are *almost* the same BUT the results come with weight loss vs. surgery.

If you are considering bypass for reasons of diabetes alone, then think again. The results are almost the same with banding but you just have to wait for weight loss to see them.

I am banded and quit my diabetes meds at around 5 months after banding. At 7 months, I no longer had osteoporosis. And I can cross my legs.....