Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved April 16, 2018.

I was a member of Bariatastic until Facebook lost my trust in their security and privacy.

Today I decided to try BariatricPal app on my iPhone. I was shocked to be fat shamed by a support app.

High Weight: 600 lbs

Surgery Weight: 390

Current Weight: 238

Goal Weight: 225

—————————-

I’ve been excited all day. I haven’t seen these numbers since I was 15 yrs old. That was 30 years ago.

This is news you want to share with anyone who will listen.

This is where the Fat Shaming in app started.

The app has you create an account. Then starts asking your weights. They asked for starting weight, and since I assumed they didn’t mean 8 pounds 6 ounces, I put in 600 pounds. Here comes the twist.

This bariatric app, doesn’t accept 600 pound users. Discrimination. If they don’t believe bariatric patients should weigh 600 pounds at any point. Disenfranchisement. I have to lie about my weight to use the app. Fat Shaming.

I hope the BariatricPal gets it together and accepts that Bariatric Patients lean toward obese and you should discriminate when someone needs social support.

Well this was my rant. It’s not about my diet or progress. I am 40 pounds below my team’s projected weight loss before my first year out and I was sure it was take a year and a half to two years. It sucks to go through this without peers.

Maybe it is an oversight and not fat shaming? Many people seem to have trouble using the app when putting in the starting figures or updating.

As someone that started with a BMI over 55 which is leaning more towards super morbidly obese I have found lots of support here.

Certainly we are in the minority but no individual person here has made me feel unwelcome due to my starting weight and that’s what I base the value of the support on here.

Congratulations on all you have accomplished. It would be nice for you to stick around and support others going through what you went through!

Well I only use the website. My starting weight was higher than that and I was able to insert the weight. We have people here starting higher than 362 pounds all the time.

Sounds like a tech support issue.

And then after I doctored my weight, that’s kind of funny to work with the app. Starting weight of 41 surgery weight of 362.

I got an error 500, when I submitted it.

Well I’m on the web now and in account there’s no way to edit it since the fields don’t show up in mobile web.

Why have a mobile site.

So, I have to go downstairs fire up a computer, to go to the website because it only seems to work on desktop browsers. But then there’s that 500 error.

This isn’t oversight, it’s total incompetence.

37 minutes ago, DeltaBravo said:

I was sleeved April 16, 2018.

I was a member of Bariatastic until Facebook lost my trust in their security and privacy.

Today I decided to try BariatricPal app on my iPhone. I was shocked to be fat shamed by a support app.

High Weight: 600 lbs

Surgery Weight: 390

Current Weight: 238

Goal Weight: 225

—————————-

I’ve been excited all day. I haven’t seen these numbers since I was 15 yrs old. That was 30 years ago.

This is news you want to share with anyone who will listen.

This is where the Fat Shaming in app started.

The app has you create an account. Then starts asking your weights. They asked for starting weight, and since I assumed they didn’t mean 8 pounds 6 ounces, I put in 600 pounds. Here comes the twist.

This bariatric app, doesn’t accept 600 pound users. Discrimination. If they don’t believe bariatric patients should weigh 600 pounds at any point. Disenfranchisement. I have to lie about my weight to use the app. Fat Shaming.

I hope the BariatricPal gets it together and accepts that Bariatric Patients lean toward obese and you should discriminate when someone needs social support.

Well this was my rant. It’s not about my diet or progress. I am 40 pounds below my team’s projected weight loss before my first year out and I was sure it was take a year and a half to two years. It sucks to go through this without peers.

Let's try asking for help first friend ❤

Congrats on your accomplishments to date you will find plenty of support here

💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

Edited by GreenTealael

Honestly I find it humorous.

i bought an iHealth glucose meter but lol they believed that 350 is the cut off weight for diabetes. God I wish that had been true :)

So, when I found a bariatric app with a weight range for it’s fields intentionally ranged between 41 and 362 pounds.

In app development, you’d have a variable named startWeight = userInput()

but because of the way the app works.

instead of using int for the variable because that would range from −2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647 which would cover the 600 I wanted to enter.

but a range had to be intentionally put in which would look something like this.

If startWeight = <41 || >362 {

print(“Weight between 41 and 362”)

} else {

print(userIput)

}

or something like that.

but this is the only way a error code with that message could come up. It’s called error management.

This means the dev responsible for this range knew what he was doing it was premeditated or off the cuff. Either way.

My conclusion was based on all of these factors. My rant is just because I didn’t want to hold onto it :)

The community support so far has been awesome.

I can't speak for BariatricPal directly, but I get the feeling that it was possibly an (unintentional) oversight of some kind? I use the mobile app to browse the forums, but I filled in all my information on the regular ole' computer, and my starting weight was definitely higher than 362 as well. (Assuming I'm reading your post correctly!) I've also seen some people on here with weights higher than mine as well, so I'm not sure what's up? Hopefully you get it resolved though, and congrats on your losses/successes! :D

Please give the developer a chance to correct the problem. This site is super-supportive, both the website staff and the user community. We'd love to have you stay and share your inspirational story. I mean, you lost 210 pounds before you even had surgery. That's amazing. Congrats on you success thus far!

On 01/07/2019 at 07:06, DeltaBravo said:

Yep a tech support issue that’s cost me two hours trying to set up my profile.

This is why I’m posting to the rant section.

Were you forced to spend two hours of your time? Or did you do it willingly?