Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sugar levels after bypass

Hi, I have tried to research what happens if your blood sugar doesn't go down after the bypass surgery. I'm off my meds (metformin & glipizide) since the surgery, but I'm 2 weeks out still on Clear Liquids and still getting readings of 160- 170. I'm not drinking any sweet liquids, not sneaking any solid foods. I simply don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm very discouraged because this was 99% of the reason for having this surgery and it's not happening. Everything I've read so far talks about what happens when your blood sugar gets too Low...nada on remaining high. The Dr. says as long as it's not over 200 or under 60 - no worries, don't call. Everyone else I've talked to walked out of the hospital with their sugar cured immediately. Readings of 80/90. My A1-C was 6.1 prior to surgery. I did not take insulin. What am I doing wrong. Did I do all this for nothing?

I had RNY on April 2 2018. It took 2 months before I could stop all meds for diabetes. Hang in there!

Thank you for letting me know. I wish there was more information about this. Do you know why it takes some people so much longer for the sugar to stabilize? I'm trying not to get discouraged. At some point I'll be up to eating soft foods and then food, won't that make the sugar go back up again?

Fat cells are full of glucose. I think I read somewhere that your body will become fat adapted after being in ketosis for awhile. In the meantime, your body will be trying to work with straight glucose from your fat cells. Eventually the glucose from your fat cells will be converted to glycogen. Your body is just in shock mode now but will get it's act together soon.

18 minutes ago, D'Angouleme said:

Thank you for letting me know. I wish there was more information about this. Do you know why it takes some people so much longer for the sugar to stabilize? I'm trying not to get discouraged. At some point I'll be up to eating soft foods and then food, won't that make the sugar go back up again?

Not if you watch your carbs. Did you see a nutritionist before your surgery? Or do you have one available? For some, Type 2 Diabetes can be managed by diet without medications. However, there is no guarantee the surgery alone will do this. You might want to learn more about this awful disease you and I are stuck with for the rest of our lives! I don’t say that in judgment...sounds like there is alot you don’t understand.

The day I left the hospital after my sleeve my doctor took all of my diabetes meds (4) away. So far so good. Wish you luck on getting your diabetes under control.

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I had a nutritionist before, during and after the surgery. Unfortunately, it was also right in the middle of the holidays so there was no one to talk to about it since the offices were closed. I thought I'd try the support boards. My Dr. was really dead set against the online boards as he said that some information could be very misleading and dangerous. I met with him today for my 2 week followup, he explained so much about it and says I am doing quite well. Ed_NW explained it virtually the same as the Dr. did for me. I'm working through my glucose reserves and it will get better. So far down 20 lbs in 2 weeks. He says he can see it in my face. Apparently I was the Kool Aid man and had a huge head. LOL!

And @D'Angouleme I hope things are leveling out and you're doing better now. Keep us updated, okay?