Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Moving house soon. When to have surgery?

Hello! Need advice. We just sold our home and bought another. Closing is February 28th. Im meeting with surgeon on January 8th to sign consent and select a surgery date. I don't know if January is all booked, but if it's not, I need advice on whether I should try to schedule surgery in late January, and move in late February, or If I should move first, get settled, and have surgery in late March.

Just not sure when I'll feel like myself again after surgery. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Have your surgery prior to your surgery- yo7 will be on weight restriction a minimum of 6 weeks after surgery.🎱🏆

Thank you, Frustr8! I had not thought about weight restrictions at all. So you mean to have surgery After we move. In March??

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

No--- really no later than Valentine's Day-- you can help box but no Power Lifting for a while, my Daddy had lower abdominal surgery , being a man he thought rules and restictions didn't mean Him, ended up with a Ventral Hernia so bad his doctors told him" No Seatbelts " for the remainder of Your Life, in case of an auto accident roll onto the floorboards in a fetal ball and pray that you live through it!

Congrats on the new place! I'd do it after you move. Both because of the weight restrictions, but also so that you can set up the new house to be super comfortable for when you get home. Also, you'll have a chance to set up your new kitchen with post-op in mind. During the move, clean out your fridge/pantry of all the foods you won't be eating. Put the kitchen tools you'll need on lower shelves so you can reach them after surgery when you may not be able to reach up high. Organize your clothes according to size so you can go closet shopping when you start to lose. Otherwise, if you're like me, you'll be in your old house with half of it packed and in chaos. You'll get to start if all off right.

Exactly what notmyname said! That's what I did! In Aug I scheduled a condo closing on Sept 14 and the first available surgery date was Oct 9 so I took that date. Moved into the condo Sept 29. It was great because my daily walks after surgery allowed me to get to know my new neighbors and my new neighborhood. My kitchen was bariatric friendly because I only moved the things I needed. Couldn't cheat on my pre-op diet (at least at home) because there was nothing there to eat that I shouldn't have! I have two closets in the master bedroom...one is clothes that fit and the other those soon to fit that will be moved over as the time comes. I didn't sell my house first though so that is my project for the new year...gotta do some painting and updating and then I'll put it on the market. So glad I did it this way!

Thank you all for your replies and advice!! Good suggestions. I will pack and move in February and then have surgery in March after I'm all settled in my new house. Having surgery right before moving would be too much!

I’ve just moved a one-bed apartment at 9 months out, and I would have LOST MY MIND if I’d tried to move a month after surgery. My god. The packing, donating, cleaning, organizing, hauling around empty boxes, running out for tape... noooooo no no. I barely coped with it as I am now.

Good decision to put off surgery until post-move. And this is an EXCELLENT time to go through your clothes and donate anything that is too big - if it’s too big now, it will definitely be too big in a couple of months and not worth relocating to clutter your new place.

I am pre-op, but my instructions say no lifting more than 10 pounds, no reaching (details in the attachment), so I vote with the others, definitely get the surgery after your move! If you're anything like me, it would be hard to resist doing more than you should post surgery :)

Abdominal Precautions.pdf