Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going thru RNY alone? Need someone overnight?

Hi All:

For those of you who have had the RNY - how necessary is it to have someone with you? I know that you need someone to bring you home.

The reason I ask is b/c my husband is going through health issues and most likely will not be able to be with me. We talked about it, but I don't think he has the endurance or stamina to even sit through the surgery or be able to sleep on the sofa/couch. So really, it's unlikely I will have anyone overnight or maybe even through the surgery, etc. And I don't really have anyone around me who can be my advocate or stay with me otherwise. I'm on my own.

Have any of you done the surgery on your own?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Jeanne

My husband stayed until about 10pm and went home until the next morning both days I was in the hospital after RNY. If you’re not stable on your feet, it might be good to have someone with you while you walk to make sure you don’t fall. As for having an overnight companion, I can’t really see it being necessary. If you need something, that’s what your call button is for!

I was in the hospital alone overnight.

As a nurse myself, having someone stay with you is nice but certainly not necessary. That is what the staff is for, to help you directly after your surgery!

I was in hospital (open surgery) and my spouse’s dad hasd a heart attack the morning after the surgery, went into a coma for 4 days and then died. So of course I was alone. And it was fine.

I went to a hotel three days after surgery, for a week. Pretty much had to tend to myself and it was ok. I couldn’t’ve Gone shopping, but with basic supplies in I could make shakes, get cottage cheese and mix it with flavourings, make powdered Protein Soups - everything I needed to get by. I rested, did small walks.

Emotionally it was tough - but come here! Plenty of understanding folks to chat with!!

You sleep the first day and I felt ok to be alone . You’re in the hospital— if you need assistance, ring you buzzer for a nurse. I was fine other than feeling like 10,000 sit ups so getting up was a bit hard for the first couple of days but nothing crazy.

You’ll be fine

My wife stayed with me until about 5 pm and came back the next day around 9 am. It wasn't bad at all. The staff were great, but just keep in mind that it's a hospital and the 'squeaky wheel gets the grease' when you need something. They're busy and you won't exactly be a high priority (at least that's the way it seemed). Bring things to keep you occupied; iPad (don't forget the charger), books, music, etc. Or just enjoy the narcotic haze every 4-6 hours. 😵

My wife was with me the 3 days I was in the hospital. I was a little wobbly the first day. I went for walks every 2 hours after surgery. I had to drag around a pole on wheels that held my IV and other stuff. So she really helped the first day but after that her being there was not crucial. I did not take any pain killers after surgery so I was fairly stable on my feet.

I was in the hospital alone. After a tech walked with me the first time I was approved to walk alone after that. Pushing the IV pole was no big deal. A physical therapist came to my room to assist me the next day but after he had to find me somewhere in the hallway he decided I didn't need him and went on to his next patient. After I went home I was totally alone. I made sure I had all I needed before surgery so my recovery was uneventful. I drove on the 5th day post op because I wasn't taking any drugs that would make me drowsy. Pain was never an issue. I had a support person that took me to the hospital, stayed until I was in my room and then came back the next day to take me home.

To be honest, I thought I'd be totally fine without help - but when the time came, I ended up needing it. Nurses weren't as helpful as I'd hoped. I didn't have anyone with me the day of surgery or night of surgery, but the next morning I called my mom and begged her to come - I just couldn't do simple things like plugging my IV in after taking it for a walk around the hospital (bending over was tough), and it was so helpful. That first night at home I also thought I'd be fine alone, but no - I'd recommend having someone there if at all possible.

TL;DR: You'll probably be fine without someone, but your life will be easier with someone.

I was alone in the hospital after WLS and again after other abdominal surgery this past summer. I would have felt so guilty having someone sit around watching me sleep or get up to go to the bathroom or walk the halls. The nursing staff were great with providing assistance if I needed it.

The biggest help was me cleaning the house prior to surgery and having things ready for my discharge from the hospital. I came home and rested comfortably, watched TV, walked, took naps, sipped Water all day, browsed the Internet....

OP: You can do this. Good luck.

My wife stayed with me both nights (and days). The most important thing she did for me was to set up 1oz cups of Water and Protein Shake for me. At first I was so groggy coming out of surgery that she would hand me a cup, and I would fall asleep before getting it to my mout [emoji28]. She also walked with me, and that was essential. I think she could have gone home overnight but wanted to stay. The nursing staff was spectacular.

Sent from my SM-T550 using BariatricPal mobile app

Everybody is different. I do agree that somebody staying over night is unnecessary. Not only are you tired and will not be good company, but your nurses will be in and out ALL NIGHT and whoever is with you will not get any sleep themselves while you are there. If your husband can come in the morning that would be fine. If not, and you are traveling, take an uber home if you live nearby. My daughter went with me and i sent her home (3 hour drive) and my son came to pick me up when i was discharged, other than that, nurses are in and out all day, and they have you walking up and down the hallway all day.. i thought it was best to not have to worry about keeping anybody company.

Hi All:
For those of you who have had the RNY - how necessary is it to have someone with you? I know that you need someone to bring you home.
The reason I ask is b/c my husband is going through health issues and most likely will not be able to be with me. We talked about it, but I don't think he has the endurance or stamina to even sit through the surgery or be able to sleep on the sofa/couch. So really, it's unlikely I will have anyone overnight or maybe even through the surgery, etc. And I don't really have anyone around me who can be my advocate or stay with me otherwise. I'm on my own.
Have any of you done the surgery on your own?
Please advise.
Thanks!
Jeanne
No one stayed with me in the hospital. My mom stayed for a short while but it was pointless. I just stared into space for the 3 days and watched TV. No one stayed with me when I was home either. No issues.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app