Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I need a fill or not?

i'm scheduled for a fill the week after thanksgiving and am trying to figure out if I really need one. I had my first fill a month ago and felt amazing restriction for 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. That sensation is gone, but I still feel some minor restriction. At time of fill I was 303 and now I'm 287. So I definately needed that first fill. I was also really really hungry before. Now I kind of get hungry, but not like before. So should I reschedule or just get a small small fill? BTW I have 1cc in a 4cc band.

Thanks,

Leena

Just wanted to add I can eat pretty much everything (chicken, salad, eggs, ricotta cheese, etc). So I know I'm not too tight now.

HI Leena, how much food can you eat at one sitting? Some people prefer to stay at a restriction level of 1 cup if they are still losing. In my case my restriction gives me about 1/4 cup of food at a time. How much can you eat?

I can eat a whole entire fast food size salad (minus the dressing) which is about 2 cups or so. I can eat a whole chicken breast with veggies too. 1/2 cup of oatmeal for Breakfast with soy milk. I work out a lot to be able to still loose weight with eating this much. I can eat 2 egg whites with 1/4 cup of fat free ricotta cheese too. All of these being individual meals. I eat 2 meals a day and have a protien shake for breakfast, since it's easy to drink and fast for the morning with 3 kids.

I can eat a whole entire fast food size salad (minus the dressing) which is about 2 cups or so. I can eat a whole chicken breast with veggies too. 1/2 cup of oatmeal for breakfast with soy milk. I work out a lot to be able to still loose weight with eating this much. I can eat 2 egg whites with 1/4 cup of fat free ricotta cheese too. All of these being individual meals. I eat 2 meals a day and have a protien shake for breakfast, since it's easy to drink and fast for the morning with 3 kids.

Lettuce can go down pretty easy. An entire chicken breast with veggies seems like a lot of food. I can typically eat 1-2 oz at a time. Egg whites and ricotta are considered soft foods so they go down easier. I would say because you can eat an entire chicken breast you need a fill. I can typically eat 1-2 cups of salad myself. Its the hard Protein I'm curious about. I would try a fill. How is your hunger?

Thanks so much!

My hunger isn't too bad. It seems like I don't get too hungry before a meal, but after a meal it seems my stomach empties and within an an hour or two I feel a bit hungry so then I start constantly sipping Water. At this point I feel like there's a lot of will power that I have to use to not eat.

I'm starting to think that I do need a fill. At my last fill my dr. told me that eating a whole chicken breast and veggies is normal, but if I were eating 2 of them he'd be concerned. He filled me last time anyway. There was wonderful restriction in the post fill, but it's gone away.

Leena, the true secret of whether or not you need a fill is if you are losing 1-2 lbs per week. If you are and still eating a chicken breast good for you! That is always the temperature gauge.

Julie, are you a doctor or something? Shouldn't Leena consult her surgeon and nutritionist regarding how much she should be able to consume and whether or not she needs a fill?

I know that you mean well, but just because YOU can eat 1/4 of a cup of food and be satisfied, not all people can. I have been under the impression that each journey is highly individualized. Although we are all after a common goal using similar tools, we each have our own paths that we must follow. You could be giving people the false pretense that they should be at the same level that you are. In turn, your judgmental comments could be doing more harm than good not only to a person's moral, but also their health.

I agree with Tish, besides we pay our doc's the big bucks for a reason. Call the nurse and ask her if she thinks you should come in.

I never mean for the advice that I receive here to replace my drs. I'll call the office on the monday before my thursday appointment, to see what they think if I still feel this way. I have been loosing 1-2 pounds a week, but I think it's mostly due to working out every day and exercising control when it comes to eating, as well as embracing healthy food choices. Prior to the band my problem with food was quantitiy not nutritional quality. So the band helps with the quantity issues/portion control,

Like I said for me its 1/4 cup. For Trish her sweet spot may be a chicken breast. If she is still losing 1-2 lbs per week then she should consult her doctor. My doctor says it is common with my restriction to only consume 1/4 cup of food.< /p>

My doc is very conservative with fills (I've had 7 fills during the past 2,5yrs) and he says that as long as I'm loosing, even if at a very slow pace, that's OK. Besides, the advantage of it is that it allows your body and particularly, your skin, to slowly adjust to the weight loss.

I can eat a whole chicken breast with veggies, too - he says that's not a problem as long as I'm doing the correct food choices and exercising regularly. I just feel a bit frustrated sometimes because I'm not loosing as fast as some people.

niki