Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is my first post. I had RNY on Oct 18, 2018. I'm down 37 pounds since surgery, so I'm quite happy with the loss. Following my programs plan, I'm still at the soft food stage. I am both delighted and terrified as to the amount of food I can eat. I'm eating more than my share of Protein first, but find that I can eat a whole lot of it. I'm diligently keeping track of my food and am seeing that I have to be quite careful to keep my calories under 1500. I am regularly eating between 1100-1300 calories. I've stopped having protein supplements all together as I'm getting in all my protein through regular food: eggs, fish, prawns, cheese, Beans, etc. Might anyone else be in this same boat? Should I be worried about the quantities I'm able to consume so early on? If I can eat this much now, will I be able to eat a whole lot more down the line?

I am at 2 months and my nutritionist said around 500 calories is about where I should be. Long-term goal is around 1000 (some others are a bit higher). Do you portion everything out and eat only that? That would help keep calories lower. I eat out of 2oz baby food cups and measuring spoons so I never go over. Does your plan say how many ounces you should be eating per meal? That's what you should go by, not calories. Around now I am allowed to move to 5oz-6oz per meal max, but I can't fit that much in. I know some people who can eat basically the same amount, but just because it fits without hurting, doesn't mean you should do it. Def stick to portion sizes and not calorie counts.

Edited by mousecat88

Wow. I was Only at 700-800 calories 2 months out. Measure your food so you aren’t eating more than 3 oz at a meal.

Is there a reason why your keeping your calories above 1000 ? I’d be concerned unless your burning it off with exercise ... just because you can eat that much doesn’t mean you should... I’m not saying this in a negative way... but it could catch up with you....you don’t want to stretch your baby... you’ve been they too much ! 

Just because you can eat a certain amount does not mean that is what you should be eating.

Have you discussed this with your surgeon or nutritionist? What are the actual portion sizes?

I am over a year out and I weigh and measure everything I eat. You do not get the same sensation of fullness as you did before surgery so it is good to stick to a measured amount of food. For myself 3-4 ounces of dense Protein is it. I’m full after that. I can eat more Soup or salad items like 6-8 oz. I average around 800-900 calories a day. At two months I was at maybe 600-700.

I would definitely discuss with your team ASAP.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. As you know the surgery was done on my stomach and not head; therefore, just as I found it difficult to stop eating before I find it difficult now. I was relying on my physically not being able to eat more so I’m surprised. I’m not disappointed, but a little concerned. I’m confident I’m not stretching anything as I feel no discomfort whatsoever.

It is a whole lot easier to Talk the Talk than to Walk the Walk. Never lose sight of your Final Goal.🚧

My NUT basically said I should be eating my month so two months out two ounces, three months out three ounces, six months six ounces. The goal is to lose weight not see how much you can eat and prematurely stretch your pouch. You don’t want to go through surgery and not lose all the weight.