Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG is 1/8, pre-op diet starts on 1/1

Greetings, I received my surgery date in mid December. It took about four weeks with the Thanksgiving holiday to get approval from my insurance company. My pre-op diet is not a full liquid diet thankfully. There is an emphasis on Protein Shakes, but I am also allowed to have hard boiled eggs, low fat yogurt, fruit, and frozen meals such as Lean Cuisine, etc. I will have to stop having Decaf coffee as of the 31st as I drink it with milk, though I can have decaf tea with stevia.

I haven't lost a ton of weight previous to this, but I have done a good job cutting out sugar and caffeine. The holidays were a little touch and go but they are over now. I know it will all be challenging, and I am a bit nervous about surgery (who wouldn't be), but for me with two bone on bone knees, I am out of options and the pros outweigh the cons. So I am ready.

My surgery is at Newton-Wellesley Hospital with Dr. Chahal. Impressed with the program and care team so far.

Congrats on getting a date! We're surgery twins 🙂 I started my pre-op diet yesterday. It was supposed to be 14 days, but my first day would have been on Christmas and my surgeon didn't think that was fair. I also get to eat food during my pre-op diet.

Best of luck to you. It's the best decision I've made. This has helped my knees and back.

Thanks for the kind welcome. When I get a chance, I will fill out the profile part about weight, etc. I don't know all the numbers right now. I am looking forward to less stress on my joints as I suffer from chronic back and knee pain. I thank God that I am not diabetic, though a high A1C earlier this year spurred me to cut back on carbs and sugar. Now the A1C is normal, and I hope to get it even lower. I have been a lifelong member of WW and I have eaten healthy for many years, but too much healthy food is obviously a problem for me! Only my WW leader knows I am getting this surgery, and she is very supportive. The meetings are the most important part of WW and I hope to attend more support groups at the hospital once I am cleared to drive and work again. My therapist is also on board to support me. So I feel very blessed.

Will be saying goodbye to coffee on Tuesday for at least 6 months. I got used to Decaf and so this will be a bit tough for me. Just one of those habits that becomes ingrained. They told me decaf tea is OK, so that is a good thing. I feel like these last few days before the pre-op diet kicks in are a kind of farewell.

Looking forward and trying to shed old habits will be a big challenge. Glad to have this community.

I agree about the caffeine. Way harder than sugar for me. It took about a week before the withdrawal symptoms disappeared and now I have plenty of energy, but that first week was all about headaches and fatigue.

I still haven’t gone back to caffeine- and don’t miss it 🤗

You’ll do great!

I snuck a bit of diet coke last night. We moved yesterday and I had 18,000 steps in I was so drained from jt and limited food. And of course, no weight loss this am. :(

because I ate this way before, I am barely losing on this preop diet

On the second day of the pre-op diet. The first day went well and I wasn't hungry. Today is a different story. Even though I had lunch 90 minutes ago, I am already counting the minutes until I can have a snack. Is this a normal reaction when you are used to a larger volume of food? Also bummed that my fruit is limited to once a day. The lack of Fiber is not helping matters is all I can say. Also finding I am so thirsty. Drank five cups of Decaf green tea already and a ton of Water. That is another thing, to always feel thirsty because I am not getting the hydration I am used to from fruit.