Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can no longer eat food that tastes good

I find that whenever I eat food that tastes good, I eat way too fast and get sick/uncomfortable. This has led to me avoiding foods that I really like and sticking with foods that I can tolerate the tastes of of but that are not my favorite. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I only put a small serving on my plate, 3 oz or less. Then I take a small bite, sit on my hands and chew 20x. This seems to help me. (Thanks, Dr. V.)

9 hours ago, Oct517 said:

I find that whenever I eat food that tastes good, I eat way too fast and get sick/uncomfortable. This has led to me avoiding foods that I really like and sticking with foods that I can tolerate the tastes of of but that are not my favorite. Anyone else have similar experiences?

You know yourself and what foods trigger you into eating fast. Some things that may help with behavior change.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mindful-eating-guide#section1

Mindful eating. Slowing down and savor every texture and flavor.

• Eat more slowly and don't rush your meals.
  • Chew thoroughly.
  • Eliminate distractions by turning off the TV and putting down your phone.
  • Eat in silence.
  • Focus on how the food makes you feel.
  • Stop eating when you're full.
  • Ask yourself why you're eating. Are you actually hungry? Is it healthy?

i have started to eat and put the fork down between a bite or two and wait 5 min before attempting another bite. I was getting full and uncomfortable after 1 ounce and it was taking forever to eat the recommended Protein per day.

I only put a small serving on my plate, 3 oz or less. Then I take a small bite, sit on my hands and chew 20x. This seems to help me. (Thanks, Dr. V.)
Lol. I'm picturing my coworkers watching me sit on my hands while I eat my lunch

1 hour ago, Oct517 said:

Lol. I'm picturing my coworkers watching me sit on my hands while I eat my lunch

You'd be surprised what people don't notice. LOL

18 hours ago, Oct517 said:

Give it some time. You are very early out. Best thing I have been working on is mindful eating. Here is a link with some tips, but there are many articles on this https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/10-tips-for-mindful-eating-just-in-time-for-the-holidays-201511248698. My pre surgery class did an exercise on this and it was quite the experience with a hershy's kiss.

2 hours ago, nenes78 said:

Give it some time. You are very early out. Best thing I have been working on is mindful eating. Here is a link with some tips, but there are many articles on this https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/10-tips-for-mindful-eating-just-in-time-for-the-holidays-201511248698. My pre surgery class did an exercise on this and it was quite the experience with a hershy's kiss.

You are so kind!

I have just started feeling this way 5 weeks out. It’s like I haven’t had anything that tastes good since before the pre-op diet and I made a homemade chili and ended up eating it way to fast. I am also afraid I’m eating too much. I can eat about 3oz over 30 mins, 3-4 times a day. I’m getting about 50g of Protein and 500 calories.