Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I got a Cold.

Not only do I share a house with my husband, but this cold too.

My surgery is December 12 and I got sick two days ago.

Though, in hindsight, I could see it a mile away. I thought it was just "allergies," but I was naive then. When I was at work and my throat started to hurt, I knew something was up. The next day I was fatigued and my throat hurt badly, so I stayed home and slept it off. Since then I've returned to work and am currently dealing with mild-moderate cold symptoms (post nasal drip, productive cough to rid my throat of the stuff gathering there, a bit sniffly) but definitely not feverish and the mucus (TMI) is nice and clear for right now.

I told my surgeon's nurse and she advised that as long as I am not running a fever, or hacking up green mucus, I'm in the clear. I'll be elevated during surgery and post-op.

But I'd rather have the most mild of symptoms during my surgery and while I have a few days to get well, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to make sure my lungs are nice and clear for the surgery?

Mind you, I'm drinking PLENTY of liquids. Salt Water gargle rinses. And trying to get as much sleep as I can. I wash my hands constantly. I've also been taking DAYQUIL as the go-ahead from my nurse.

16 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Speedy recovery! Vitamin C for the win and hoping you still make your surgery!

I'm all about that Emergen-c! :)

This is currently my biggest fear - that I will get sick and be unable to have my surgery.

Zicam gummies are really effective, especially when used with elderberry, ask the doc if you can try it.

So update on the cold.

I think I slept a little funny, so I am feeling extra tired today. I have mild congestion, but I am at that part of the cough where a deep breath sends me into a coughing fit. I can take a deep, controlled breath and not worry about coughing too hard. I'm just worried I am going to knock a stitch out. However, I am not coughing hard enough for my sides or back to hurt.

I don't think I have an infection, since everything coming up is clear, but I am just tired of worrying about this sick. My husband is telling me to RELAX, but I'm like, "BUT THE HOUSE NEEDS TO GET READY." He's working right up until my surgery so he hasn't been able to help clean the house.

I had a cold before hip surgery. Even if you feel better, tell your anesthesiologist the day of your surgery. There are things that s/he may want to monitor knowing that you've recently had a respiratory infection.

1 hour ago, notmyname said:

I had a cold before hip surgery. Even if you feel better, tell your anesthesiologist the day of your surgery. There are things that s/he may want to monitor knowing that you've recently had a respiratory infection.

Oh definitely! As much as I want this surgery, me not lending out pertinent information is not going to do anyone any favors. Thank you for reminding me :)