Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you wish you would have done anything different in your first year of surgery?

I wanted to ask about your personal experiences 1+ years out from surgery. Looking back, Is there anything you wish you would have done differently?

I would not have ate pizza , espresso and gelato at every meal while in Italy when I was 4 months post op. It was approved by my team, but i feel like I had to seriously work to catch up.

Edited by GreenTealael

Yes! I would not have stopped for close encounters of the third kind (of the food and wine kind). It's always hard to get my mind back in the game afterward and those times usually make me feel sick and they also stop momentum for about 2-4 days minimum. I'd be at 2nd goal by now--no doubts!

I was diligent with working out my first two months. Third month, I started taking the quick weight loss for granted. My home treadmill became a place to hang my clothing. It stalled out my weight loss and set me back. This was the moment I realized this takes work. The honeymoon was over. Sold my treadmill and bought a gym membership.

Edited by skinnylife

On 12/4/2018 at 4:42 PM, Healthy_life said:

Looking back, anything you wish you would have done differently?

@Healthy_life

one year after surgery ??- nope, nothing different - i'm perfect🤣 (notttt!)

pre-op - i wish i had done more research!! Lot's more

newbies et al - do as i say, not as i do!! read, read, read

KNOWLEDGE is POWER!!!

kathy

On 12/5/2018 at 4:28 AM, FluffyChix said:

Yes! I would not have stopped for close encounters of the third kind (of the food and wine kind). It's always hard to get my mind back in the game afterward and those times usually make me feel sick and they also stop momentum for about 2-4 days minimum. I'd be at 2nd goal by now--no doubts!

This happens to me ALL the time!
I have one little thing and get instantly re-addicted to sugar!

I go, "well, it's Thanksgiving, it's a holiday... Mashed potatoes, stuffing, pie... Tomorrow I'll get on track".
Then they send me a lovely to-go box... Including more pie... A smart person would have politely thrown the pie into the dumpster on the way home but....

And then, well heck, my diet is blown any way so I might as well have some hot cocoa, it's Christmas-time after all and it's been so cold lately...

And I start craving sugar like MAD!

Two weeks later and I am finally back on track...

It's so easy to fall into trouble and so hard to climb back out. *Sigh*

3 hours ago, Medowsweet said:

This happens to me ALL the time!
I have one little thing and get instantly re-addicted to sugar!

I go, "well, it's Thanksgiving, it's a holiday... Mashed potatoes, stuffing, pie... Tomorrow I'll get on track".
Then they send me a lovely to-go box... Including more pie... A smart person would have politely thrown the pie into the dumpster on the way home but....

And then, well heck, my diet is blown any way so I might as well have some hot cocoa, it's Christmas-time after all and it's been so cold lately...

And I start craving sugar like MAD!

Two weeks later and I am finally back on track...

It's so easy to fall into trouble and so hard to climb back out. *Sigh*

For your hot cocoa mix, my NUT has approved 1 cup milk (I use fairlife for more protein), 1 TBL unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 packets stevia, and a tiny bit of vanilla. It really hits the spot, without sending me into a sugar spiral.

For your hot cocoa mix, my NUT has approved 1 cup milk (I use fairlife for more protein), 1 TBL unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 packets stevia, and a tiny bit of vanilla. It really hits the spot, without sending me into a sugar spiral.
Hmm I have everything but the sugar substitue. I'll have to buy some

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, notmyname said:

I can try it with Splenda. Splenda is the only artificial sweetener I really like.

2 hours ago, Medowsweet said:

I can try it with Splenda. Splenda is the only artificial sweetener I really like.

A lot of people give Splenda crap, but it's one of the very few artificial sweeteners I can deal with too!

Wish I'd turned to calorie counting earlier. So many weeks where I gained weight or maintained and I wondered "how the hell did that happen."

Turns out a whole lot of things are way more calorie dense than you'd expect. I weigh and track my food now, paying attention to nutrition labels and all that jazz. I hit my goal a while ago and I'm still using calorie counting to maintain but getting on it earlier would've shaved a good couple months off my losing phase.

I’m thinking really hard about this, but no. Maybe because I’m older, but I was ready to use the surgery pause in eating to truly un-sweeten and un-refined carb my diet forever. I think that is the secret to long term success. I have zero desire to eat refined carbs and sweets and I don’t eat them, still, at 17 months out. I have no “worries” about parties or holidays. I think that means I won’t gain it all back!

i feel very glad I chose only unsweetened Protein Powder in full fat milk as my Protein Shakes. I consumed only full fat dairy, fatty fish, meat, poultry, eggs, tofu, and veggies and seeds (allergic to nuts). Now after a year and a half, that is pretty much what I eat only. My dessert is 90% or higher dark chocolate. I will eat 1/2 or less of fruit a day now too.

If I could give advice to a person starting out, it would be NOT to stick to the typical diet of sweetening everything, starting with your Protein shakes, because even fake sugars or subs, still keep you addicted to sweet tastes. If you can get off our former addiction to sweet tasting or baked things, you will be free. You won’t want them! No temptations. Good luck!