Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travel vacation post op

So I'm guessing re timing of bypass surgery regarding insurance approval etc.

My extended family is planning a trip and it would be a minimum 6 weeks probably 8 weeks post op. Would that be crazy? We would end up eating out a lot. I'm guessing I could just take a Protein Shake and not order food at restaurants and just have cottage cheese Snacks etc at the condo as my meals. Will I be up to normal activity ie walking, maybe swimming? Would I be able to go to an amusement park?

So I'm guessing re timing of bypass surgery regarding insurance approval etc.
My extended family is planning a trip and it would be a minimum 6 weeks probably 8 weeks post op. Would that be crazy? We would end up eating out a lot. I'm guessing I could just take a Protein Shake and not order food at restaurants and just have cottage cheese Snacks etc at the condo as my meals. Will I be up to normal activity ie walking, maybe swimming? Would I be able to go to an amusement park?
I took a trip 3 days post op that required me to sit in front of my family as they ate food at restaurants. Let me tell you how it's a MAJOR mind game. I even had a meltdown one of the mealtimes kind of regretting my decision. Now that I'm 3 weeks post op just try and stay positive and do things that will distract you from the fact that you cannot eat like you used to before.
Be strong

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 24 days post op. I am going to DC in 2 weeks.. I am just now trying to figure out what I am going to do for food because I will be on soft foods at the time. It will be 5 days before transitioning to solids so I may try that or not LOL depends on how I feel.. I thought about freezing my Protein Shakes to get them through security ( only going for the weekend so will only need 2) or just check my bag LOL will work too. I am prepared and will research the resturants we decide to go to in advance, and I will bring my water bottle with me so I can be constantly drinking.

1 hour ago, Jazzy1125 said:

I am 24 days post op. I am going to DC in 2 weeks.. I am just now trying to figure out what I am going to do for food because I will be on soft foods at the time. It will be 5 days before transitioning to solids so I may try that or not LOL depends on how I feel.. I thought about freezing my Protein Shakes to get them through security ( only going for the weekend so will only need 2) or just check my bag LOL will work too. I am prepared and will research the resturants we decide to go to in advance, and I will bring my Water bottle with me so I can be constantly drinking.

You can take Protein powders through security. Depending on where you will be in DC, you'll likely be able to buy Protein Drinks here, too. Target has Premier.

Also, my recollection is that you CAN carry on "medically necessary liquids". Its worth contacting TSA, but I think you'd need a letter from your doctor saying you'd had a medical procedure and require the specific liquid, then declare it before you start TSA screening. You can take a picture or send a question to AskTSA on Facebook Messenger or Twitter. They answer questions from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET weekdays; 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekends/holidays.

If you can eat eggs - a lot of the fast causal places will have eggs. I was stuck out one day and got an egg white cup at Cosi - FAR too much food (think 12 oz of egg whites), but I ate what I was supposed to and tossed the rest.

I travelled on Thanksgiving, 6 weeks after surgery. I bought a big bottle of Protein Water in my checked luggage, but I didn't really need it. I ate yogurt, hummus, sliced turkey, vegetables, bananas, sashimi, etc. all of which I was allowed at that point.

Most of those things sound okay. You’ll have to be creative with meeting your nutritional goals. Walking shouldn’t be an issue if you can walk fine now. I would ask your surgeon if it’s okay if you are hoping to go on any rides at the amusement park, though. Some of them are quite jarring if I recall.