Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

30 days out and FREEZING COLD

I've never been a cold person, but since my surgery I'm freezing all the time, especially in the evening and night. I had to get a heated mattress pad because I couldn't fall asleep I was so cold!! Anyone else experience this? I feel like my body's response to the reduced energy intake is to reserve power for crucial functions, LOL...

Yup, I've had exactly the same thing. I have to wear socks in bed all the time and I use an electric under-blanket. I wear fingerless gloves when I'm on the computer and my nose is often freezing!

Fat is a good insulator. As you lose the fat from your body, you are also losing the insulation it provided. I use to drive around in my car with the windows open all the time, even in the winter when there was snow coming down. Not anymore since I lost the weight. I am very thankful for the individual that created chemical hand warmers. It really helps when I shovel snow in the middle of winter.

24 minutes ago, amy6152 said:

I've never been a cold person, but since my surgery I'm freezing all the time, especially in the evening and night. I had to get a heated mattress pad because I couldn't fall asleep I was so cold!! Anyone else experience this? I feel like my body's response to the reduced energy intake is to reserve power for crucial functions, LOL...

:) Right on schedule! Welcome to the Polar Express where flannel jams, turtlenecks and leggings with fleece slippers and socks are the preferred attire! :) ;)

I can relate. I have a small heater in my office and I wear long sleeves/jackets much more than before my surgery. Down by 74 pounds and no plans to go back! I think of it as the new me shedding the fat layer and I am more vulnerable/susceptible to the environment without the fat buffer. I think its a small price to pay for getting my health back and also there are really cute turtle necks and jackets that look fabulous on me now! I also have thick blankets and warm/fuzzy socks that feel awesome on a cold night.

Keep moving forward- this is a sign of success in my book!

Happy Holidays!

I have the same experience. With the weight loss I definitely feel the cold more.

28 minutes ago, Dionne 74 said:

I can relate. I have a small heater in my office and I wear long sleeves/jackets much more than before my surgery. Down by 74 pounds and no plans to go back! I think of it as the new me shedding the fat layer and I am more vulnerable/susceptible to the environment without the fat buffer. I think its a small price to pay for getting my health back and also there are really cute turtle necks and jackets that look fabulous on me now! I also have thick blankets and warm/fuzzy socks that feel awesome on a cold night.

Keep moving forward- this is a sign of success in my book!

Happy Holidays!

Love the cute turtle necks and jackets comment!! That's a great way to look at it! Haven't worn a sweater in YEARS.

Yes, I can totally relate. Before surgery, which was only two weeks ago, I was always warm. Now I am freezing constantly. At home I have a blanket on me everywhere I go and at work I have a thick jacket on. I'm still cold. Now I know how my wife feels.

I've always been on the cold side, even at my heaviest. My husband jokes that I am a lizard. Ever since surgery, I am always cold. Heck, in my first week I was so cold I had like 3 blankets on me and a hoodie. I'm not that extreme now, but I can relate to the cold hands and feet. Just last week I bought myself a heated mouse cover. Cute little thing, looks like a sleeping bag for my hand and it sure does the trick!

Yep, me too, and I haven't lost much yet. It sucks a little now, but it is always easier to pile on the clothes than take them off. I can't wait for summer. I suffer so much in summer, I feel so exhausted and uncomfortable especially after working all day and then taking the subway home in the heat. I know nothing can help NYC humidity but it will be nice to be a smidge cooler even if it is still hot.

ALWAYS cold ! Like painfully cold lol.

I live with multiple blankets at night with a heated mattress pad too. At work I have a space heater :)

It’s worth it :)

ROFLMAO because it is so so true!😛

I can so relate. I used to drive with the windows down even on the coldest days. When I was at my heaviest I was ALWAYS hot! Now I need the socks on and the sweatshirt on and don’t like the windows down. Guess it’s a good sign!🎉🎊

On 11/28/2018 at 2:30 PM, amy6152 said:

freezing all the time

am i the only one who has never been cold due to the surgery??🙁

kathy

My apartment tends to be cold, so now after surgery when I undress, my teeth actually chatter. I went to the grocery store the other day and the dairy aisle was so cold my fingers felt numb. As annoying as it is now though, I kind of hope it is not a temporary side effect. I would love to have this lowered personal thermostat in the summer. It is easier to get warm than it is to get cool...you can always add more layers, but you can only take so any off!