Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling out of sorts

Howdy,

I have recently been approved for gastric sleeve surgery but have a few concerns that hopefully can be addressed here. First, I am 46 years old former athlete but never a former Marine (if you’re a Marine you understand that statement), who loved to travel, be outside and do activities with friends and family. I was married 12 years ago at over 300 lbs but recently the weight has started to affect my mobility. Now that my brief introduction is out of the way, as I said I was recently approved for gastric sleeve surgery but my only other condition besides morbid obesity is high blood pressure. I don’t have diabetes nor am I borderline, I don’t suffer from high cholesterol or thyroid disease so it was a comfort to know that I could schedule my surgery immediately which brings me to my issue, Is that normal? After the classes and research I have done there is usually some type of two week diet that is required to shrink the liver, so what is the deal? Next, since I don’t have high blood sugar levels, how will this affect my body after surgery? I’m really hopeful someone can help with these concerns so I can calm my nerves.

27 minutes ago, LostOne said:

Howdy,

I have recently been approved for gastric sleeve surgery but have a few concerns that hopefully can be addressed here. First, I am 46 years old former athlete but never a former Marine (if you’re a Marine you understand that statement), who loved to travel, be outside and do activities with friends and family. I was married 12 years ago at over 300 lbs but recently the weight has started to affect my mobility. Now that my brief introduction is out of the way, as I said I was recently approved for gastric sleeve surgery but my only other condition besides morbid obesity is high blood pressure. I don’t have diabetes nor am I borderline, I don’t suffer from high cholesterol or thyroid disease so it was a comfort to know that I could schedule my surgery immediately which brings me to my issue, Is that normal? After the classes and research I have done there is usually some type of two week diet that is required to shrink the liver, so what is the deal? Next, since I don’t have high blood sugar levels, how will this affect my body after surgery? I’m really hopeful someone can help with these concerns so I can calm my nerves.

Congrats on being so healthy starting out. Many are not so fortunate; I was one like you. I just knew that eventually, it would all catch up to me.

I'm sure when the surgeon evaluated you, he did some significant abdominal palpating. One of the things he was looking for was a "fatty liver". That doesn't mean fat around the liver, it means the liver itself has pockets of fat. That is what the liver-shrinking diet is for. To thin down a fatty liver enough to ensure that the surgeon has enough room to manipulate the liver out of the way safely. Clearly, your doc didn't think yours was an issue.

I had no diabetic issues before the surgery and my levels have remained normal after surgery.

This isn't a source of worry, it should be a source of comfort. You may be the healthiest person the surgeon operates on all week, which means your chances of an uneventful surgery are higher and you'll likely have a quicker recovery.

Best of luck with your new life!

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

1 minute ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Congrats on being so healthy starting out. Many are not so fortunate; I was one. I just knew that eventually, it would all catch up to me.

I'm sure when the surgeon evaluated you, he did some significant abdominal palpating. One of the things he was looking for was a "fatty liver". That doesn't mean fat around the liver, it means the liver itself has pockets of fat. That is what the liver-shrinking diet is for. To thin down a fatty liver enough to ensure that the surgeon has enough room to manipulate the liver out of the way safely. Clearly, your doc didn't think yours was an issue.

I had no diabetic issues before the surgery and my levels have remained normal after surgery.

This isn't a source of worry, it should be a source of comfort. You may be the healthiest person the surgeon operates on all week, which means your chances of an uneventful surgery are higher and you'll likely have a quicker recovery.

I second much of what Orchids has said. As far as the two week liquid diet, it does seem to be the norm; but certainly isn't a requirement. There are many different types of pre-op diets (all liquid, lean Protein + veggies, etc.) and some surgeons don't require one at all. Good luck with your surgery!

The smaller and less plump your liver is the quicker and easier,your surgery will be. The diets vary,in length from just the day before to 4+weeks, Most are 2 weeks, I did the entire month,of August, because I wanted. the "most bang for my,buck" and it worked, I lost 15 pounds my,liver was thin, normal in size, so my surgeon had no troubles doing my surgery even at 72 .Have you been checked for sleep apnea? Many,obese people have it and it is a qualifier also known as a co-morbitity for surgery.,
The fact you were a former athelete may make it easier to exercise post-surgery. But I think at 90% of people on here do well, as you can see from. my AGE you are too old, too heavy or any of the bad things the uncaring outside world calls us. You are. worthy of this chance, the fact you are on here shows you are willing to take this chance, and if you have the strength of spirit to see,this through,to the final goal, you can and should be a success And you have the,proper wh9 have done this already here to,mentor,you. Almost every small problem you could have, there is a veteran who has gone through it and can tell you,how to handle it. They have been a great source of wisdom to me as I had my own surgery in September. So any more questions,you have, we can answer.

I’m about same age as you. Athlete all my life. So why am I so fat? That’s for another thread at some point. Anyway, no diabetes, no pills nothing. The doctor said if he didn’t see me in person he would think from all my bloodwork and results he would picture in his head someone who looks like my parents or sister but not me. Sigh. Anyway, I was scheduled right away because I paid cash. I did a 7 day ore survey change. 5 days Protein Shakes with soy milk 3 per day and last two days I did just Water. After 3 days of the Protein shakes it was incredibly easy to drink water. I’m somewhat off protein shakes now lol. I had the surgery nov 14. I’m down 23.5 now. I’m totally pleased with my decision. I want to look like my brain feels. Eventually getting older and carrying this weight caught up so I felt like if I wanted any other life then sitting around I needed to do something. I had pain first few days. I did have band 4 years ago did well on it but it moved. So I decided to have it removed and have sleeve done. I started with sleeve at 256, I’m 233 today. I’m doing my sipping and my liquid purées Soups right now. Next week I start on outer foods. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Congrats on being so healthy starting out. Many are not so fortunate; I was one like you. I just knew that eventually, it would all catch up to me.

I really appreciate your insight and opinion since this has been a difficult decision for me. I wanted the opinions of those who have been through this because everything in me is saying don’t do it despite my current weight and condition. It’s annoying to have this feeling especially since I have not truly been willing to work it out (pond intended). But once again thank you for your encouragement.

1 hour ago, anonbaribabe said:

I second much of what Orchids has said. As far as the two week liquid diet, it does seem to be the norm; but certainly isn't a requirement. There are many different types of pre-op diets (all liquid, lean Protein + veggies, etc.) and some surgeons don't require one at all. Good luck with your surgery!

Thank you, as I mentioned to Orchids your opinion is deeply appreciated

1 hour ago, Frustr8 said:

The smaller and less plump your liver is the quicker and easier,your surgery will be. The diets vary,in length from just the day before to 4+weeks, Most are 2 weeks, I did the entire month,of August, because I wanted. the "most bang for my,buck" and it worked, I lost 15 pounds my,liver was thin, normal in size, so my surgeon had no troubles doing my surgery even at 72 .Have you been checked for sleep apnea? Many,obese people have it and it is a qualifier also known as a co-morbitity for surgery.,
The fact you were a former athelete may make it easier to exercise post-surgery. But I think at 90% of people on here do well, as you can see from. my AGE you are too old, too heavy or any of the bad things the uncaring outside world calls us. You are. worthy of this chance, the fact you are on here shows you are willing to take this chance, and if you have the strength of spirit to see,this through,to the final goal, you can and should be a success And you have the,proper wh9 have done this already here to,mentor,you. Almost every small problem you could have, there is a veteran who has gone through it and can tell you,how to handle it. They have been a great source of wisdom to me as I had my own surgery in September. So any more questions,you have, we can answer.

That sounds like some really good advice which I think I will follow. I’m still apprehensive but coming to this site was truly a positive step in the right direction. I will definitely continue to seek the advice and support that this group provides.

1 hour ago, Happy Sleever said:

I’m about same age as you. Athlete all my life. So why am I so fat? That’s for another thread at some point. Anyway, no diabetes, no pills nothing. The doctor said if he didn’t see me in person he would think from all my bloodwork and results he would picture in his head someone who looks like my parents or sister but not me. Sigh. Anyway, I was scheduled right away because I paid cash. I did a 7 day ore survey change. 5 days Protein Shakes with soy milk 3 per day and last two days I did just Water. After 3 days of the Protein shakes it was incredibly easy to drink Water. I’m somewhat off Protein Shakes now lol. I had the surgery nov 14. I’m down 23.5 now. I’m totally pleased with my decision. I want to look like my brain feels. Eventually getting older and carrying this weight caught up so I felt like if I wanted any other life then sitting around I needed to do something. I had pain first few days. I did have band 4 years ago did well on it but it moved. So I decided to have it removed and have sleeve done. I started with sleeve at 256, I’m 233 today. I’m doing my sipping and my liquid purées Soups right now. Next week I start on outer foods. Good luck!

Dude, I only wish I would have caught this that early but glad that you did and wish you luck on this journey.

36 minutes ago, Dthomas4505 said:

Yes, I agree. The strict liquid diet didn't work for me. DON’T GIVE UP!! I gave up and almost lost hope, but eating a high Protein Breakfast of egg whites mixed with ground turkey worked for me. Don’t quit..you’re doing great. My surgery has me down 60 lbs since May!

I will keep that in mind once I have the surgery. I still have about three weeks before it happens but I’m starting to feel a little better about going forward thanks to all of you.

And I hope our friendship helps you feel a little less alone! I see by,your last posting that the end,of November you had 3 weeks,to go until surgery, so did you have your surgery @ Lost One and how are you doing NOW?

On 12/22/2018 at 3:16 AM, Frustr8 said:

And I hope our friendship helps you feel a little less alone! I see by,your last posting that the end,of November you had 3 weeks,to go until surgery, so did you have your surgery @ Lost One and how are you doing NOW?

Long story short no, I did not go through with the surgery at that time. I started feeling apprehensive about my new surgeon and decided to try to drop some weight on my own. After about six months of that and not getting the results I wanted (lack of motivation on my part) I returned to my surgeon to reschedule the surgery. However, thanks to my 9 year old requiring an explanation of what will be happening to her dad and in an attempt to calm her about the associated risks didn't out weigh the gains I found a different procedure I wanted to check out called Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty. It is a procedure that done through the mouth that sutures the stomach into a sleeve shape providing the same benefit of the gastric sleeve without the hospital stay. After researching it, I found that it is a relatively new procedure that does not have the statics to go by like the gastric sleeve. I was lucky enough to find two doctors in the Houston area that could perform the procedure along with providing more insight into exactly what it was. I had my consult with one of the physicians who explained to me that while the procedure is effective he didn't think it would provide me with the results that I hoped for and recommended that I stick with the gastric sleeve procedure that I had scheduled but put off for this consultation. I learned two important things in that meeting 1) my hesitation was partly due to my apprehension about my initial surgeon (who did not go over a lot and did not make me feel comfortable) 2) I would be scheduling my surgery but with this new doctor who not only made my wife and I feel comfortable but was willing to explain every detail to me and calmed my fears. With all that said, I finally had the surgery on September 23, 2019 and will be celebrating 1 month of my new life this week. Which I can honestly at the moment SUCKS but I know it will get better.