Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op quitting smoking cannabis

Hi, Jessica!
I used to be an everyday smoker but quit when I realized I wanted venture down this journey I quit and that was back in April/May 2018. I was completely honest with my whole Bariatrics team in this process even though it delayed me getting the surgery. My first drug test came back Positive, which was devastating but kind of expected and had to wait three months to get my second one. I passed my second drug test with flying colors. It’s always important to tell your doctor things that you’ve taken or done just in case, you never know what could happen. My Mom has been as avid weed smoker and has been for many, many years, when she has surgeries her anesthesiologist always suggest she stops smoking before hand because they’re worried about how her body will receive the anesthesia. Just be careful, girl! And good luck!💜

From a totally flipped perspective and a word of caution for post-op...I am 5 weeks post-op and I was NOT a smoker (not for like 15 years anyways) and decided to smoke some yesterday... my stomach pouch hurt in a way I cannot even explain. I don't know if it was too soon post-op to try something like that but I ended up vomiting up saliva and mucus for half an hour and crying and dry-heaving. I was just *waiting* for blood to start coming up. I don't know if it's because I just was not a smoker and was sensitive to it, or if I simply cannot tolerate stuff like that with the new stomach. But I felt so horrific last night.

Edited by mousecat88

From a totally flipped perspective and a word of caution for post-op...I am 5 weeks post-op and I was NOT a smoker (not for like 15 years anyways) and decided to smoke some yesterday... my stomach pouch hurt in a way I cannot even explain. I don't know if it was too soon post-op to try something like that but I ended up vomiting up saliva and mucus for half an hour and crying and dry-heaving. I was just *waiting* for blood to start coming up. I don't know if it's because I just was not a smoker and was sensitive to it, or if I simply cannot tolerate stuff like that with the new stomach. But I felt so horrific last night.
I doubt it was from smoking. You might have given yourself a panic attack thinking about how you might have a bad reaction after surgery which resulted in the negative physical symptoms you experienced.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

3 minutes ago, Oct517 said:

I doubt it was from smoking. You might have given yourself a panic attack thinking about how you might have a bad reaction after surgery which resulted in the negative physical symptoms you experienced.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Nah, I don't think so. I kept producing tons and tons of saliva, which started filling up my pouch and making me vomit. I can't even explain how much spit I kept producing. So bizarre. The pain from the vomiting made me start crying, since I hadn't vomited since surgery. I kept having to spit into a trash can because I could not stop producing saliva. It was nutso.

Edited by mousecat88

2 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Nah, I don't think so. I kept producing tons and tons of saliva, which started filling up my pouch and making me vomit. I can't even explain how much spit I kept producing. So bizarre. The pain from the vomiting made me start crying, since I hadn't vomited since surgery. I kept having to spit into a trash can because I could not stop producing saliva. It was nutso.

Hmm. The THC in marijuana binds to the receptors in our submandibular glands, which causes them to stop receiving messages from our nervous system leading to a reduction in saliva production. Thats why a lot of people talk about weed causing dry mouth. Sounds like you may have had a bad reaction to the smoke itself? Did you experience a throat hit? Did you eat anything after smoking?

Just now, Oct517 said:

Hmm. The THC in marijuana binds to the receptors in our submandibular glands, which causes them to stop receiving messages from our nervous system leading to a reduction in saliva production. Thats why a lot of people talk about weed causing dry mouth. Sounds like you may have had a bad reaction to the smoke itself? Did you experience a throat hit? Did you eat anything after smoking?

Yeah, that's why I thought it was very strange. I certainly remember cottonmouth from "back in the day" (I say that like I'm old, but I'm not, lol). I took a single hit off a dab. I didn't eat anything after smoking because of the vomiting... I started getting nauseous from all the spit within about 10 minutes. I actually quit many years ago because pot would make me hypersensitive to my arthritis pain. It would feel like my joint pain was amplified times 100, which I know is also unusual.

Regardless, never doing that again! lol. Everrrrr.

On 12/07/2018 at 14:31, mousecat88 said:

Yeah, that's why I thought it was very strange. I certainly remember cottonmouth from "back in the day" (I say that like I'm old, but I'm not, lol). I took a single hit off a dab. I didn't eat anything after smoking because of the vomiting... I started getting nauseous from all the spit within about 10 minutes. I actually quit many years ago because pot would make me hypersensitive to my arthritis pain. It would feel like my joint pain was amplified times 100, which I know is also unusual.

Regardless, never doing that again! lol. Everrrrr.

omg i would bet any money that you had that reaction from the dab. that’s what happened to me the first time i took a dab and that was like 3 years before surgery hahaha. props to you from going 0-100 and just straight dabbing but that’s why you reacted that way.

lmao, I figured as much. I was like... why can't you just have a blunt like a normal person, dude. Thanks for almost killing me. lolol. He was like.. I didn't expect... that. X_X but then he goes on to tell me he has a friend that will randomly vomit after dabs. like... helloooo.

Edited by mousecat88

So I want everyone to know and if new people checked out this feed that everything went well with my surgery and the ganja process. Surprising I didn’t coughed up phlegm like I thought I would. Being someone who tokes all the time. I’m now 1 week post op and my healing process is great! I’m in no pain with no meds. Thanks for everyone’s feed back. I haven’t yet part take in my ganja but hopefully will be soon. My boyfriend been trying to get me contact high for a couple of days now 😂